Help me setup a Rug Shop

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
Here you Damon. Just change “car” to “rug”.
5463C3CD-56E2-40DA-AAA4-42CE2DC976F5.jpeg

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
I think a key to a busy rug plant is to offer a few options of "clean"

One designed for cleaning rugs that the owner spent under $200 on

One for nice synthetics and tufteds

and the Uber RF Deluxe method

I would suspect your middle choice will be 80% of your work.

Too difficult to explain pricing to clients, also some of these "cheap" rugs require more effort than good old rugs. I have clients everyday spend more than they spent on a rug for cleaning because they like the rug and don't want to get a new one.

Very rarely do we get folks with the surprised "it's more to clean my rug than to just buy a new one!" Most people get it, we really don't care all that much what they paid for it, doesn't affect the effort required to do the job right.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Too difficult to explain pricing to clients, also some of these "cheap" rugs require more effort than good old rugs. I have clients everyday spend more than they spent on a rug for cleaning because they like the rug and don't want to get a new one.

Very rarely do we get folks with the surprised "it's more to clean my rug than to just buy a new one!" Most people get it, we really don't care all that much what they paid for it, doesn't affect the effort required to do the job right.
I get that from people that buy used couches for $100 on Craigslist then want me to clean them.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

I find much the same thing. I am often relieved when the rug is an expensive persian rug. Those are easy to clean and you rarely find that the dog or cat has used it as a toilet. Not like the polyester shag rug that reeks of urine and is going to require a ton of flushing and urine treatments.

Brian K

Name
Brian Kraut
Great Thread here ! Im new to the forum but have been in business 15 years. I have been slowly growing the warehouse rug cleaning side of things the last couple years. My current set up is all low tech. Pond lined , ply wood and 2x8s rug pit with some pully rug racks above. We use a big portable to extract before we hang . Sometimes we submerge and flush, mostly we just dust , then extract front and back of rugs and hand clean fringe. Its all working out just fine with minimal investment but I need to decide on a final lay out and invest in some real equipment. Its been tough to figure out a design since my warehouse is only 1400 sq ft. Id love to poor a wash floor and add a centrifuge with a nice enclosed dry room but am hesitant to invest all the time and money in a space that may not work long term. I appreciate all of your input.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I didn’t read the last 3pages yet, my question is...Mikey, why does damon need to charge more than the competition?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Great Thread here ! Im new to the forum but have been in business 15 years. I have been slowly growing the warehouse rug cleaning side of things the last couple years. My current set up is all low tech. Pond lined , ply wood and 2x8s rug pit with some pully rug racks above. We use a big portable to extract before we hang . Sometimes we submerge and flush, mostly we just dust , then extract front and back of rugs and hand clean fringe. Its all working out just fine with minimal investment but I need to decide on a final lay out and invest in some real equipment. Its been tough to figure out a design since my warehouse is only 1400 sq ft. Id love to poor a wash floor and add a centrifuge with a nice enclosed dry room but am hesitant to invest all the time and money in a space that may not work long term. I appreciate all of your input.
If you're not sure that you will be staying in that location, you don't want to spend money on things you can't bring with you. Nothing wrong with a pond lined wash pit, though you may to adjust it so it has a gentle slope, allowing the water to run off if the drain is open and submerge the rug when closed. While the rug is submerged, you can use a rotary machine for agitation. A weighted tool like a zipper for extraction. I would invest in a centrifuge before anything else. You can also use for extra rinsing by hooking up a water hose to it. If you are hanging your rugs above your wash pit, you can make a curtain from tarps to make it a drying room. As your volume of rugs increases, you can think of a better location and invest in better equipment. My second purchase after a centrifuge would be a tumble duster.

Reactions: Brian K

Ron K

To all that said a Centrifuge first....

You don't understand Rug Cleaning at all.
The Tuble duster IS the biggest time saver for it's intended purpose there is.
There is no other piece of equipment that makes EVERY cleaning technique better and improves the cleaning outcome.
A portable strap duster is adequate but does not compete with time saving or quality of it's intended job.
Damon, you inadvertantly already found the secret...it is...
Wait till all the idiots out there figure out they bought equipment that is not what they thought it was and buy it at pennies on the dollar.
Be Patient
P.S. You will need knowledge as to what does or does not go in a tumbler

Brian K

Name
Brian Kraut
If you're not sure that you will be staying in that location, you don't want to spend money on things you can't bring with you. Nothing wrong with a pond lined wash pit, though you may to adjust it so it has a gentle slope, allowing the water to run off if the drain is open and submerge the rug when closed. While the rug is submerged, you can use a rotary machine for agitation. A weighted tool like a zipper for extraction. I would invest in a centrifuge before anything else. You can also use for extra rinsing by hooking up a water hose to it. If you are hanging your rugs above your wash pit, you can make a curtain from tarps to make it a drying room. As your volume of rugs increases, you can think of a better location and invest in better equipment. My second purchase after a centrifuge would be a tumble duster.
Thanks for the advice. I built the pit to funnel and slope to one corner were i use a sub pump. I also use a cimex to agitate durable rugs and extract with water claws and heavy wands. I like the idea of curtains and have a mezzanine space thats up and behind the pit . it has power and heat and is already enclosed. I just need to figure out how to pully the rugs up and back someohow. I figured a centrifuge would be the first major investment, but i like the idea of the water pond or a all in one unit that rings the rugs out. We will most likely stay at this location a long time since we own the warehouse but if the rug side of my business grows i could see moving into a much larger space.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Today I got a real shelf and added wheels to replace that crapy plastic shelf that keeps falling over. I’ll use the old shelf to store toilet paper.

B640BB3B-D3B5-4720-A84E-BDF627EF652C.jpeg973E1A86-B06B-4412-B7E7-BD883ABE3C51.jpeg

Reactions: Cleanworks

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Every thing should be mobile or up high off the floor.
Every square foot of floor space is precious.
Where did you get that new shelf? and wheels?
Home Depot is having a sale. $165 for the 6,000lb shelf. The other shelves are also on sale. I may go pick up another one today. I added the wheels onto it. I’m tryi g to keep everything mobile until I settle on a final configuration.

I agree. Everything off the floor.

I just got my rug pit liner all pressure washed. Took me two days. It was loaded with roaches and didn’t want to put it out until I could clean it. Those roaches had a long drive from Ventura. I couldn’t believe they were still alive.

Last edited:

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
Home Depot is having a sale. $165 for the 6,000lb shelf. The other shelfs are also on sale. I may go pick up another one today. I added the wheels onto it. I’m tryi g to keep everything mobile until I settle on a final configuration.

I agree. Everything off the floor.

I just got my rug pit liner all pressure washed. Took me two days. It was loaded with roaches and didn’t want to put it out until I could clean it. Those roaches had a long drive from Ventura. I couldn’t believe they were still alive.

Those things will survive a nuclear blast

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I have an inflatable 15X18 Australian was-pit with the grids and some world class training.
Thanks Ron. I may take you up on that and come visit. This is my pit I’ve been cleaning all day. I would do more but I need to get home and play with my boy. I have a pump/recirculating system I need to hook up as well. Still lots to do but I’m getting there. Also, my new shelves kick butt. I have a lot more organizing to do still.
71D4F89B-597D-4984-A3C1-FF7CC0CF7D21.jpeg196594D9-343B-4ABF-A52D-1B54AAE8F35B.jpeg8634693A-BA2C-4494-9441-64165D86480A.jpeg

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
Thanks Ron. I may take you up on that and come visit. This is my pit I’ve been cleaning all day. I would do more but I need to get home and play with my boy. I have a pump/recirculating system I need to hook up as well. Still lots to do but I’m getting there. Also, my new shelves kick butt. I have a lot more organizing to do still.
View attachment 92240View attachment 92241View attachment 92242
Is that the best place for a propane tank?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom