Transitioning from owner-op to business leader

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
What does this really even mean? What are the criteria for this "situational basis"? A doctor's note?

Why not just set a number of available sick days....that way other absences are simply unexcused and can be acted on with disciplinary action

or don't have any
Situational basis: every different person has different health issue. It gives me an allowance of letting him go if I feel he’s “laying out” of work

And I never agreed with giving a specified amount of sick days. Out of all the sicknesses out there, it’s hard to go by that number.

I just got off the phone with him and he’s been running a fever of 101+ with sore throat. Sounds like a sinus infection or flu. I told him to go to the dr tomorrow and get a Dr note to inform me of it.

FredC

Village Idiot
Situational basis: every different person has different health issue. It gives me an allowance of letting him go if I feel he’s “laying out” of work

And I never agreed with giving a specified amount of sick days. Out of all the sicknesses out there, it’s hard to go by that number.

I just got off the phone with him and he’s been running a fever of 101+ with sore throat. Sounds like a sinus infection or flu. I told him to go to the dr tomorrow and get a Dr note to inform me of it.

I get that but personally I view a set number of sick days as better as both an employee and an employer.

Things "you feel" might open you up to issues. Especially when you bring on more employees with decisions being so arbitrary. If he has 5 sick days per year (accrued over time) to be sick or just stay home and watch Oprah if he wants anything over that can be considered laying out of work....or if you want to accept an excuse or doctors note you are still free to do so.

Reactions: Papa John

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I get that but personally I view a set number of sick days as better as both an employee and an employer.

Things "you feel" might open you up to issues. Especially when you bring on more employees with decisions being so arbitrary. If he has 5 sick days per year (accrued over time) to be sick or just stay home and watch Oprah if he wants anything over that can be considered laying out of work....or if you want to accept an excuse or doctors note you are still free to do so.
ok, can you reword that paragraph to say all that so I can implement it? I'm new in this part of my business

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
You shouldn't have random asshats on the internet writing your policies
pfft

you're more legal sounding than any formal policy I could find

Maybe AI Fred could come up with something if you don't want to do it

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Customers don't want sick people in their homes.
We try not to reschedule, but sometimes it is necessary and better for everyone.
But I understand, It's more of a trust issue for many people.

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
Nate W.
It's a revolving door with the younger generation 30 and younger.. Learn to love it or be stuck slinging the wand.. Having a back up for the back up is key..

Now hiring, Always firing!

Just wait till you have an employee trying to scam workman's comp.. You'll wish you were slinging the wand with all the bullsh!t you gotta go through.. He admitted he slept on a lumpy mattress and tried to retire on a pulled back muscle claiming he bent down to put up a piece of rubbish..

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Matt how much are you paying him?
What's his living situation?
How much deb8dies he have?
Starting at $18/hr to match his current income. Once he gets on his own route, I’ll add $1 to that and will base the future income n performance. I hope to get him up to $25+.

Reactions: Living The Dream

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
It's a revolving door with the younger generation 30 and younger.. Learn to love it or be stuck slinging the wand.. Having a back up for the back up is key..

Now hiring, Always firing!

Just wait till you have an employee trying to scam workman's comp.. You'll wish you were slinging the wand with all the bullsh!t you gotta go through.. He admitted he slept on a lumpy mattress and tried to retire on a pulled back muscle claiming he bent down to put up a piece of rubbish..
Do I need to adjust the employee handbook to somehow prevent that?

Name
Nate W.
Crossing your i's and dotting your t's is the first step..

Seriously though, there are some downright shady people out there looking to cash out on your dime.. Always be expecting the unexpected..

And fwiw, When I would get sick, I'd be out/sick for a week or 2 but never had a choice to call in sick.. Unless I was dizzy , throwing up or contagious, it was work as normal.. Owner/ops are not employee's and should never be thought of that way.. They are paid for their time from clock in to clock out.. Going above and beyond is very rare to find..

Name
Swani
It's human nature to at least try to prevent it
I know this is cliche and every book and guru preaches it, but once your employees feel that they are a crucial part of the operation and are involved in solution solving and decision making they will make every effort to come to work because they feel needed.

I understand that you haven't had an opportunity to work with your new hire much yet, but sometimes even giving them a title helps and explaining where your company is going and why they are an integral part.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, but keep moving forward. Listen to podcasts and read books that will help you navigate and overcome.

I really like Tommy Mello The Home Service Millionaire. I've read all his books and listen to his Podcast.

• Love
Name
Nate W.
Carpet janitor, rug sucker extraordinaire, chimp, hose monkey, fuzz sucka.. Or could be the multi-surface cleaning cleaning technician.. What’s in a name..

What I have noticed is a local restoration company has created a “culture” if you will call it that.. Basically having outings, company parties, “perks” for being part of the team.. Weather it’s employee’s or condo and property managers to insurance adjusters..

I myself will help fix an employee’s car, or help them move stuff.. Your helping me, while I’m helping you.. I don’t keep score but I also don’t like the feeling of being used.. If I can help I don’t mind..

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
He made it to work for the first official day

Excited😀

B4A2CC6C-CD2E-4111-B1A0-97533F211AB1.jpeg

Mr Brightside

Name
Jay Wags
Do you really think those guys are legit? I had to miss their presentation in San Diego, so I wasn't able to get a feel for them.
Eric and Larry mentored me they are more than legit and have deep insights and have built and done it themselves unlike most experts

... I currently run two out of state businesses with multi vans And have been out of the van for about 7 years

Somedays I feel like I am smart and have it all figured out other days it's all closing in lol

If I could give you any advice is train your employees how to do everything the same every time build good habits

Name
Swani
Eric and Larry mentored me they are more than legit and have deep insights and have built and done it themselves unlike most experts

... I currently run two out of state businesses with multi vans And have been out of the van for about 7 years

Somedays I feel like I am smart and have it all figured out other days it's all closing in lol

If I could give you any advice is train your employees how to do everything the same every time build good habits
Thank you! I think I'll give them a call.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
In this day and age, I would give him one more chance. Back even 10 years ago I would have told him thanks for your time but we are moving on in a different direction without you. Nowadays though, it is a totally different.

Get used to any employee calling in and have a back-up plan for when they do call in. Oh and try like hell to not reschedule any work! Find a way to get it done the day it is scheduled. I don't allow work to be rescheduled. We may be later than planned, but we will show up.
What Brian said. He’s like EF Hutton. When he speaks listen.

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Oh and try like hell to not reschedule any work! Find a way to get it done the day it is scheduled. I don't allow work to be rescheduled. We may be later than planned, but we will show up.
What is your strategy when a customer calls to reschedule or cancel the appointment for a valid reason?

Brian H

Name
Brian H
What is your strategy when a customer calls to reschedule or cancel the appointment for a valid reason?
It happens multiple times a day. Just get used to it and try to fill it up with same day services jobs.

We schedule the customer appointments on days the customer requests. In the Detroit metro area we go to every area, every day so we can easily book the appointment based on the customer's needs. We call the day prior to the appointment with an approximate time that we will be there. When the crew is about 15 minutes away we send a text message saying we are on the way. Given all that, we still have people cancel or reschedule at the door!!

Frustrating, yes, but it's part of the business we are in!! You can either get all worked up about it or just accept that it happens and move on.

Reactions: hogjowl

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom