Transitioning from owner-op to business leader

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Next week is the official start. I had a good month in training my son to do the labor until I found a qualified technician and now is the time.

Is there anyone here who made that scary jump and succeeded and didn't go back to owner/op?

Any tips?

AI FredC

AI Bot
Name
AI
Congratulations on beginning this exciting new transition! This is a significant step and there are numerous people here who've made this journey successfully. Here are a few tips that might assist you:

1. **Develop Strong Leadership Skills**: It's important to guide your team and articulate your company's goals together. Good leadership will inspire loyalty and hard work from your team.

2. **Delegate Effectively**: If you want to step away from day-to-day operations, delegating tasks is essential. Trust your team, and remember that their personal success aligns with yours. This will also free you up to focus on larger business strategies and vision.

3. **Establish Standard Operations Procedures (SOPs)**: Create detailed written instructions for each task within your business to ensure consistency and quality, regardless of who is performing the task.

4. **Train Your Team Well**: Comprehensive, regular training ensures that everyone is on the same page and has the necessary skills to execute their tasks well, thus maintaining the quality of work even without you in the picture.

5. **Communicate Regularly**: Keep everyone up-to-date on business developments and always be open to feedback from your team.

6. **Monitor your Business KPIs**: Regularly review your Key Performance Indicators to understand how your business is doing and where you might need to step in and make changes.

7. **Maintain a Balanced Vision**: Maintain balance between stepping back and keeping a firm eye on your business operations. This ensures your business continues in the right direction.

Each business is unique, so tailor these tips according to your need. Remember, the transition won't be overnight and there'll be times when you might feel the need to jump in. Ultimately, your job is to build a well-oiled machine that can run without your day-to-day involvement.

Good luck with the transition, and we're here to help you with any further queries or concerns!

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Next week is the official start. I had a good month in training my son to do the labor until I found a qualified technician and now is the time.

Is there anyone here who made that scary jump and succeeded and didn't go back to owner/op?

Any tips?
Call Howard

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I've been going through the process for about 2 years now.
@BIG WOOD I advise you to still work on occasion with him to perform an "Undercover Boss" type day. I'm sure it will be enlightening.

My son is great with the customers and receives a lot of praise.
Last week we had some "drama".
He complained that I hadn't trained him more on being an owner nor given him some ownership yet.
What he failed to notice was that I was training him on the Mindset of an owner.

Being a business owner isn't just about doing the normal tasks of the job, which he does, but so do employees. Owners need to operate at a higher level of Drive and ambition, and use the Power of TNT= "Today Not Tomorrow"-- get IT done now!
My son lacks the drive to actively manage his time and schedule to maximize revenue and efficiency. A trait all successful business owners should have.
I told him: They print money, they do not print Time. SO Time is more valuable, so manage it well.
When the last job is done, so is he.
When I'm done with the last job, It's time to "Do one More" and 1 more after that.
ie fix things, clean, organize and stock the van. etc.

Good luck Matt.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
How old is your son John? My girls are late and mid 40. They have that drive to where they tell me where and what. It comes with time. It also comes with shared revenue.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
How old is your son John? My girls are late and mid 40. They have that drive to where they tell me where and what. It comes with time. It also comes with shared revenue.
30 years old.
I'm thinking of starting him off at 10% ownership. on top of his pay and benefits. Please give me feedback on this.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
New headache on first day with employee

I just got a text:

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I’ve been getting over a fever since Saturday morning and I think my fever is gone but my throat is still hurting a bit. I can come in but I wanted to see what you would like me to do, I’m really sorry for this on the first day

I said
“If you’re not running a fever, you can still work. I need you “

He said
Thank you for understanding but I think it would be best if I sit it out today, I’m really sorry again

I said Ok

FK😡

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
To all the managers out there:

I need to address this, but how? Give the little wimp with the sore throat a second chance or fire him?

Reactions: SamIam

Papa John

Name
John Stewart

I need to address this, but how? Give the little wimp with the sore throat a second chance or fire him?
Unreliability seems to be the new normal with the younger generation.
If you give a 2nd chance- it will happen again.
If you fire him, prepare to go through the hiring headache often.

Perhaps this is the fallout of participation trophies. 🤷‍♂️
Bring Back Dodgeball in the schools to make America Great Again. 😈😎🤣

Brian H

Name
Brian H

In this day and age, I would give him one more chance. Back even 10 years ago I would have told him thanks for your time but we are moving on in a different direction without you. Nowadays though, it is a totally different.

Get used to any employee calling in and have a back-up plan for when they do call in. Oh and try like hell to not reschedule any work! Find a way to get it done the day it is scheduled. I don't allow work to be rescheduled. We may be later than planned, but we will show up.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Omg, first day for you not him!!!! Notice how he was asking your opinion, but not really. You pretty much have to go with it😡 I tell my girls, we always have to be looking. You can’t pay em enough to work with a sore throat. They’re not you.

Reactions: BIG WOOD and KevinL

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
30 years old.
I'm thinking of starting him off at 10% ownership. on top of his pay and benefits. Please give me feedback on this.
Depends on what that means. I wanted my girls with me for life. Yes, into retirement. They’ve been with me the entire time and of course worked in other careers, but they both
knew the business was better than running someone else’s business. We’re 4 corporate owners with equal pay and ownership. Mommy and I receive the third. The corporation even owns our house and property. My girls are on everything I have 100%. No husbands though with a say. We’re a cult😉🤣 Oh yes, they boss me around!

FredC

Village Idiot
I said
“ I need you “

You fd up there...

and him already trying to manipulate you with "I can come in but I wanted to see what you would like me to do," when he has no intention of coming in is concrerning.

I'm not sure what I would do to be honest. If he isn't ready to work tomorrow I'd probably wish him luck in the future and find someone else.

Was he working before you hired him or at least recently had stable employment?

Maybe he is sick or maybe he partied to hard in anticipation of starting work. Happens to the best of us :D I'd certainly explain my policy on absences going forward. You have a policy right? Maybe it's in your handbook?

Luky

Name
Mario
I've been going through the process for about two years now.
@BIG WOOD I advise you to still work on occasion with him to perform an "Undercover Boss" type day. I'm sure it will be enlightening.

My son is great with the customers and receives a lot of praise.
Last week we had some "drama".
He complained that I hadn't trained him more on being an owner nor given him some ownership yet.
What he failed to notice was that I was training him on the Mindset of an owner.

Being a business owner isn't just about doing the normal tasks of the job, which he does, but so do employees. Owners need to operate at a higher level of Drive and ambition, and use the Power of TNT= "Today Not Tomorrow"-- get IT done now!
My son lacks the drive to actively manage his time and schedule to maximize revenue and efficiency. A trait all successful business owners should have.
I told him: They print money, they do not print Time. SO Time is more valuable, so manage it well.
When the last job is done, so is he.
When I'm done with the last job, It's time to "Do one More" and 1 more after that.
ie fix things, clean, organize and stock the van. etc.

Good luck Matt.
The road to ownership might be too tricky for some. I speak from my own experience. From my ten employees
( food&hospitality industry) only one girl had the interest to see behind the curtains
( ordering, basic accounting, managing the store and its employees ) It was tough to get someone to open up and close the store on weekends, especially in the summertime. Back to carpet cleaning ;
I have a helper that I consider to be a partner. He's in his late twenties, and his cleaning skills are on par; he lacks long-term planning and focusing on what's important, and he gets easily distracted. You might say he's too young to be taken too seriously. I have faith in him and will diligently work on his development. He actually became on O/O himself so we can employ two truck mounts on bigger commercial jobs; I have plenty of commercial accounts( restaurants, medical offices, and so on)
I'm hoping that he'll soon get his game together
( within five years ) and takes over my duties so I can sit on the sidelines when nearing retirement age.
Give your son a chance to grasp the principles of ownership gradually; once he sees that his decisions are affecting the bottom line, he'll adjust his actions under your guidance.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
You fd up there...

and him already trying to manipulate you with "I can come in but I wanted to see what you would like me to do," when he has no intention of coming in is concrerning.

I'm not sure what I would do to be honest. If he isn't ready to work tomorrow I'd probably wish him luck in the future and find someone else.

Was he working before you hired him or at least recently had stable employment?

Maybe he is sick or maybe he partied to hard in anticipation of starting work. Happens to the best of us :D I'd certainly explain my policy on absences going forward. You have a policy right? Maybe it's in your handbook?
He left a 3rd shift job to work for me. Yes he was currently employed

Here’s the policy on sick leave in my handbook.
“Situations may arise where an employee needs to take time off to address medical or other health concerns. The company requests that employees provide notification to their supervisor as soon as practicable when taking time off. Sick days are granted on a situational basis to regular employees. Abuse of this policy may result in disciplinary action.”

FredC

Village Idiot
. Sick days are granted on a situational basis to regular employees.

What does this really even mean? What are the criteria for this "situational basis"? A doctor's note?

Why not just set a number of available sick days....that way other absences are simply unexcused and can be acted on with disciplinary action

or don't have any

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom