So?.... How's buisness? This is the slowest, Coldest, winter ever

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
All time record January (getting more into WDR slowly but surely) so far Feb has been outstanding! Tech has gotten overtime 2 out of last 3 weeks...we had 6 jobs Wed & 8 on Thursday, those were almost as good as in season days!

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
It helps to have multiple services.

We started planning a year ago for a bad winter. Not that we knew it would happen just didn't think these warm winters could last for ever.

That's hard to believe actually it's been pretty bad in IN

Chris A

Name
Chris
It helps to have multiple services.

We started planning a year ago for a bad winter. Not that we knew it would happen just didn't think these warm winters could last for ever.

For guys that are not doing wdr, ( Im just not ready yet), it pays to have a relationship with one or two good.restoration cos., especially if they dont clean carpet ( lots don't.) We have cruised right through this winter by doing extractions and post loss cleans, residential has been good too, even with lots of reschedulings from the weather.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
I'm in So Cal where up until today hardly any rain this rainy season so far.

Last year was fantastic. Up 40% over 2012.

January 2014 was fantastic. Best January by probably 50%.

February is horrible. It's almost like my phone was disconnected. Yelp has been, up to now anyway, really working well for me. Now all of a sudden, hardly anything.

One of the problems of being a one man band and being busy like I was last year is that a lot of marketing that should constantly done goes by the wayside. Now that is coming back to bite me in the ass. I know better too. Back to the basics for me.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
What if?
Turns out we were up against a slow Feb 2013 however we did have one big commercial job of 480 chairs last year that added 2,100. This year no chairs & minimum water jobs but up 29% for Feb.

26.5% YTD which got me thinking WHAT IF we could be up 25% for the year! Then I started focusing my plans/efforts to make that happen!

Becker

Name
Becker
For the month of jan and feb combined I'm up $4500 over last year at this time.

March might slow down, but the 1st week looks health with my 2nd church for 2014.

If march is slower it will give me a chance to implement some new tasks for the girl helping me with some marketing and clerical work.

Website changes.

And figure out a schedule for the 2nd van that might include sat and suns.

Maybe her it lettered.

Reactions: BLewis

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Jan was good Feb sucked balls, March is starting out good (3-water losses Sunday & 1-this AM already) plus we will complete a fire that we started in Feb but bills this month. All in all better than last year to date but not by much so far.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Not a bad winter yet. This week is starting slow. But my mailer is hitting today. Last week I did 15 jobs and had 6 Doctor appointments.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
Not a bad winter yet. This week is starting slow. But my mailer is hitting today. Last week I did 15 jobs and had 6 Doctor appointments.

I don't know how you do it Dave. (Unless you are talking WD jobs.) If Kansas-ians were like So Californians even at the hint of rain or snow, even if its at the end of next week, they are calling to cancel or not calling at all. :cry:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I don't know how you do it Dave. (Unless you are talking WD jobs.) If Kansas-ians were like So Californians even at the hint of rain or snow, even if its at the end of next week, they are calling to cancel or not calling at all. :cry:
From Nebraska. But close enough. We are more cold and they have been getting a little more snow than us. I don't do any water damage. Just marketing and separating yourself from the pack and making your company a destination instead of an other to call down the list.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
From Nebraska. But close enough. We are more cold and they have been getting a little more snow than us. I don't do any water damage. Just marketing and separating yourself from the pack and making your company a destination instead of an other to call down the list.

opps... sorry I have a daughter in Kansas, cousins in Lincoln actually.

So what do you mean by what you said in reply. I'm really curious. What do you do that will make people call you in spite of a storm or cold weather. For me I know it's not that I do a lousy job. I have customers that I've done multiple times and keep coming back - but they will call and re-schedule for another time when it's warmer. I guess 50- 60 degrees isn't warm enough for them. I'm careful with moisture left behind, I use a fan and carpets are usually dry within an hour or 2 even in the cold.

Maybe you Nebraskans are a hardier bunch than us?

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Been absolutely fine here in Southern California because it's been one of the most mild lacking of rain or any type of weather I've ever seen since I've been here.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
Been absolutely fine here in Southern California because it's been one of the most mild lacking of rain or any type of weather I've ever seen since I've been here.

yeah, I'm not far from where you are Vivers. It was last week they were dropping like flies for me. Before that in spite of no rain we still had no calls.

The fact is marketing and growing your business is a funny thing. Just when you think you got it all figures out something changes and you have to start all over again.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I had a record breaking Feb .. I think we trippled the amount of work .. last Feb we did 4 jobs and this year a whopping 12

Looooooooool! Thanks Paul for the laugh..!

My calender tells me 16 jobs for feb, my mind and bank acct. say it seemed like 5 total!

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
Looooooooool! Thanks Paul for the laugh..!

My calender tells me 16 jobs for feb, my mind and bank acct. say it seemed like 5 total!

I did 13 jobs in February. I did 28 last February. Since I did double in January 2014 over January 2013 I was kinda thinking I'd at least do the same if not more. So my bank account is hurting now too!

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I ' 've been there. I remember having to check the phones just to see if they were working. Luckily its not like that this year. It sucks and its common with this business . Spring will be here soon and you'ill be bitching about being too busy.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
opps... sorry I have a daughter in Kansas, cousins in Lincoln actually.

So what do you mean by what you said in reply. I'm really curious. What do you do that will make people call you in spite of a storm or cold weather. For me I know it's not that I do a lousy job. I have customers that I've done multiple times and keep coming back - but they will call and re-schedule for another time when it's warmer. I guess 50- 60 degrees isn't warm enough for them. I'm careful with moisture left behind, I use a fan and carpets are usually dry within an hour or 2 even in the cold.

Maybe you Nebraskans are a hardier bunch than us?
Kansas where does she live Barry? California to Kansas? Why? :eekk:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
It has been slow for a few weeks here.

Just way too much -26 below zero weather that makes everyone just "burrow in" and "Hibernate"

Phone is picking up a slight bit because people are just tired of the weather and giving up.

Time to get some of their indoor environment cleaned because they are stuck in it.

We have a home show in couple weeks and really suspect it is going to be hard to get people to sign up for carpet cleaning right away. Last year was the same with the constant snowing. We just extended the show special a bit out further and it worked....just wasn't as good as having the money and business right now.

We made do, but not like it had been when we have the snow going away this time of year.

We are making a plan as to how to market to our clients at this show. It's always a challenge, but when you figure something out, it really feels like an awesome accomplishment.

Now to just figure that out :lol:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We just finished two home shows back to back. One in Lawrence while I was at MF10 and one last week. Friday was busy, Saturday they said was up 30% over last yea. It was great, meeting people, talking cleaning, it was awesome BUT Sunday we got hit by a storm and was a ghost town.

Nobody there at all, the vendors were talking amongst each other for most of the day. Then everyone started breaking down their displays several hours early.

Looking forward to spring, like others I think it could be a big one! :icon_cool:

Reactions: Russ T.

glenboy

Name
GLEN
Slow..but still moving.I dont see these snow banks.going away until july.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Make sure you collect names and work them from qualified prospects into clients.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Cold an Slower

MikeysFest was perfect timing for us as it seemed to really break up the boredom that goes on this time of year. I am Still banging down the Managed stuff as it has to flip, resi n realty stuff is next to dead again due to the temps.....warmth is coming : )

Redesigned our Business cards and have been slinging them like like crazy. I get bored with the board n PC or piddlin, I take a ride and see how many cards I can sling. Lots of places have cork boards n holders for cards, make sure to check them often an move em to the front if needed. Most places we have ours, help us to stay exclusive n up front ; )
Just cause it's cold doesn't mean yur mouth quits workin, Put on a logo'd Shirt n Go visit some people! Your mouth is the best form of advertising you have.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
Kansas where does she live Barry? California to Kansas? Why? :eekk:
She lives in Andover.

She married a So Cal boy so you think that might give you a decent shot as a grandpa to have the grandkids around. But nope, the SIL has grand dreams to make big money so after moving the family to Utah then Chicago for school and working for different private investment firms, they move to KS to work for the Koch bros. And he got what he wanted, he is making the big bucks - gone from home a lot but making the big dollars for sure.

We all have our concessions to make in what we'll do and accept for our work, don't we?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom