Over $1k to replace my breaks! Ouch!

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
I replaced the rear drums because the mechanic said they had stress cracks all through the drums, and they didn't feel comfortable turning them. I'm assuming this was the original drums at 173k miles on the truck
Ask to see the cracks

Last edited:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Yes..theres no core charge on drums so they should have them right there to show
You
Opps sorry Matt..back to dumb ass status!

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Drum brakes are easy with the right tools- but yeah, pads are easier.
I've been doing my own brakes for years! Saves me time and money.

Reactions: Fat Mike

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Some of the newer aren’t recommending turning rotors anymore. Just discard with the brakes and install new.
I think a lot of newer vehicles have thinner rotors. I use to have a 1984 Mazda pick up and the rotors were massive compared to a 1990 Mazda I bought later on.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I replaced the rear drums because the mechanic said they had stress cracks all through the drums, and they didn't feel comfortable turning them. I'm assuming this was the original drums at 173k miles on the truck
Likely needed to be replaced, although the "uncomfortable turning cracked drums" seems odd. No one would turn a cracked drum. (Rear drums crack from leaving the parking brake set while driving or setting the parking brake when the drums are hot from a lot of d
Some of the newer aren’t recommending turning rotors anymore. Just discard with the brakes and install new.
When it costs $35 to turn a rotor and they sell for $29... unless you're working on a super car, they're just cast iron. I routinely change rotors along with pads if the rotors are within ten bucks of the cost to turn. I also avoid the conversation with the smarmy brake shop tech.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
They even made you go get the Parts?!!!

LOL
I tried going local, but the Napa idiots didn't have the right parts that they delivered. They had 3 other different sizes, but not the one for the right truck. So I had to drive to a Mack Truck dealer an hour away to get it

Reactions: Fat Mike

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom