New to the business and looking for advice

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Tony...as far as "all that money"

If I was thinking about making a living as an e-bay vendor
and went to the World's Greatest ebay Discussion Board for guidance, what would I find?
The top 10% knocking down big money
the majority on either side of the middle
and the lower tier barely getting by

The grass isn't greener(or easier) or any different* on this side of the septic tank.

That Grimm's tale isn't to discourage you, but to give a more realistic view if looking at established workaholic go getters like Jeff (SierraClean) that have landed some "plumb" accounts.

But that's not the norm in com.
You'll be competing against outfits like Kenny's (rider0992) long established janitorial outfits that can and do run the same Cimex and juice as you and be happy to do it at thinner profit margins.... 'cause he already has 30 worker bees in the joints..and can smile all the way to the bank @15% profit margin

You'll also be competing with carpet cleaning outfits large and small that will enCrap com for as low as 4 cents SF

again, not trying to discourage you, just don't want you to be "star struck" when guys talk about their "home run" accounts

..L.T.A.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout

and went to the World's Greatest ebay Discussion Board for guidance, what would I find?

The grass isn't greener(or easier) or any different* on this side of the septic tank.

That Grimm's tale isn't to discourage you, but to give a more realistic view if looking at established workaholic go getters like Jeff (SierraClean) that have landed some "plumb" accounts.

You'll be competing against outfits like Kenny's (rider0992) long established janitorial outfits that can and do run the same Cimex and juice as you and be happy to do it at thinner profit margins.... 'cause he already has 30 worker bees in the joints..and can smile all the way to the bank @15% profit margin

You'll also be competing with carpet cleaning outfits large and small that will enCrap com for as low as 4 cents SF

again, not trying to discourage you, just don't want you to be "star struck" when guys talk about their "home run" accounts

..L.T.A.
Please don't discourage him. I'm trying to butter him up to buy a Kenny Roger's Carpet Cleaning franchise. Comes with a fake white beard, and white wig parted in the middle.
Kenny Rogers.jpg

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
Hey Mark, very good to meet you. No worries and thanks for all the info. I know a TM is the most vital tool in the trade and makes the work go the fastest/smoothest, I’m just wondering if it’s smart to blow the last 3 years of our savings on something I have no experience in. We can afford to start off as strong as possible for a rookie but should we? I can start for way less with a solid portable (kick myself later for it) and at least get my foot in the door in commercial work. At least with doing small businesses like restaurants and small office buildings. Obviously I’d love to start with a full pro set up but like I said idk if it’s the smartest idea.
We've definitely got passion and drive, and at least have a firm grasp on small business. Like I said, we knocked out 4 years worth of school in 2 and both received our AA for SB management & entrepreneurship. We’ve had a few ideas as where to start but nothing has grabbed our attention like carpet/floor cleaning has.
Anyway, finding where to start in all this is the hardest part. There has definitely been lots of great info shared here, but it’s also made it harder to decide on something 🤣. Starting small and growing naturally may be the smartest idea.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
When I first started in this, I purchased my second company from a guy who was ready to retire.
One of the things he told me was, ‘THIS IS A BUSINESS OF RELATIONSHIPS, develop good relationships with people, and you will do fine’...
Anthony, that’s something that’s always stuck with me.
To answer your second question, the job was offered to me by a restoration company, and I originally put in a bid @ .25c sqft, they phoned my office, and we settled on .20c sqft.
Very good to know. I’m definitely trying to start those relations here, even if I started pretty douchey haha It seems as though people have warmed up to me. This seemed like the best place to get real info and I felt comfortable starting here. And damn bro, very nice. That seems like a solid price for such a huge job! I’d imagine they would have shot for way lower.

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards

..L.T.A.
“World's Greatest ebay Discussion Board” hahaha awesome.

Dont worry, I don’t think I’ve stumbled upon a massive pile of unattended gold. I see gold here, but know that I’m gonna have to be digging for years before I find it myself. No unrealistic views on my side.
Damn so it can really get THAT low in commercial huh? That’s something to consider. When you guys do commercial, what do you typically land? Large multi floor office buildings? Small restaurants? Just trying to get an idea

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
“World's Greatest ebay Discussion Board” hahaha awesome.

Dont worry, I don’t think I’ve stumbled upon a massive pile of unattended gold. I see gold here, but know that I’m gonna have to be digging for years before I find it myself. No unrealistic views on my side.
Damn so it can really get THAT low in commercial huh? That’s something to consider. When you guys do commercial, what do you typically land? Large multi floor office buildings? Small restaurants? Just trying to get an idea

Commercial is hit in miss. Usually we personally look at the avg. some pay more some less. Depends on what you want.

As O/O you want more for less time invested so your profit margins are higher.

With employees you have to have volume so you’re will to get jobs you normally wouldn’t fool with on your own. Lots and lots of variables

Reactions: Nomad74
Name
Lee Stockwell
I'm going solo to clean a financial services building at 5pm. Usually 400-600, and will take me 2-3 hours.

While I love truckmounts (have 5 now), this job will be encapped. Easier, better results, happier customer.

Shark vacuum, 175 w/tank, shower feed.

Extension cords, 3M 3300 pads, Harvard bone dry or release-it ds2. Ammonia for spotting and Saigercide lime for afterspray.

I'm finding LOTS of jobs like this.

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
do what ever you'd like, how you'd like and whenever you'd like...you will be fine...you can even apply for the government cheese, egg and milk like most broke jokes.

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Anthony,
start with as a little money as possible. Never plunge into a truckmount payment, that will dive you head first into broke.
don’t buy or pay into all the bulletin hype of tools needed. Be suspect.
a swing machine and pads will go a long way with the right cleaner. And the cleaner can be had for about $12 bucks a gallon. Let’s see...

$12 for an encap cleaner
$200-$300 for used 175 swing machine
$400-$600 for a new 175 swing machine
$100 for cotton bonnets
$150 for cordless sprayer with wheels
$200 for a vacuum
$60 for a shop vac as a spotter machine
$10 for spray bottles
$30 on a good spotter (jondon matrix here)

what else....let’s see...

$20-$100 for business cards
$17 cotton shop towels at Sam’s Club (great bargain here as the towels are 100% cotton and the right size, I luv em)
$1 measuring cup at Dollar Tree
ø for guts to tell everyone what your new venture is and you are the best cleaner in town
ø watch a few YouTube videos
ø lots of prayers
ø more prayers
ø exercise to keep your legs, gut, arms and back agile

so as you can see, you’ll need roughly about $2k give or take to start up. This way, if you decide it ain’t for you, dump everything on Craigslist or eBay to recover most of your $2k.
but if you like the mula and the work, then you can invest a little more to move up to better equipment as you go along...

now go get em kid...knock em dead grass hopper!

thats all....
Sure, let's just jump right in the residential pool with that crap.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Anthony,
start with as a little money as possible. Never plunge into a truckmount payment, that will dive you head first into broke.
a swing machine and pads will go a long way with the right cleaner. And the cleaner can be had for about $12 bucks a gallon. Let’s see...

$12 for an encap cleaner
$100 for cotton bonnets
$200 for a vacuum
$10 for spray bottles

$17 cotton shop towels at Sam’s Club (great bargain here as the towels are 100% cotton and the right size, I luv em)
ø for guts to tell everyone what your new venture is and you are the best cleaner in town
ø lots of prayers
ø more prayers

so as you can see, you’ll need roughly about $2k give or take to start up. This way, if you decide it ain’t for you, dump everything on Craigslist or eBay to recover most of your $2k.
but if you like the mula and the work, then you can invest a little more to move up to better equipment as you go along...

thats all....
Totally bad advice. Telling someone to start a business with a buffer as the main cleaning tool?

My suggestion is to Start with the right machine, whether it be a strong portable or truckmount (depending on personal expenses). And keep your main part time or full time job to hold out the monthly costs of investment until cash flow can pay cost of living and business expenses. But DONT start out with half of the right tools you need to deliver quality service.

Reactions: Cleanworks

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Totally bad advice. Telling someone to start a business with a buffer as the main cleaning tool?

My suggestion is to Start with the right machine, whether it be a strong portable or truckmount (depending on personal expenses). And keep your main part time or full time job to hold out the monthly costs of investment until cash flow can pay cost of living and business expenses. But DONT start out with half of the right tools you need to deliver quality service.
Exposed by a man that started pulling a flip
Flop trailer wit parts falling out the back

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
Anthony,

$12 for an encap cleaner
$100 for cotton bonnets
$200 for a vacuum
$10 for spray bottles

ø lots of prayers
ø more prayers

thats all....
Very encouraging words my friend, thanks for the encouragement! I will be avoiding that route though. If these old schoolers tell me I’m gonna hate using a portty, I can only imagine how much I’d hate that. I am taking the sound advice of starting up as cheap as possible however. I CAN go buy a whole used set up we found for 20k and low hours on a TM, but that would blow almost all of our savings. I don’t think it’s smart though considering I have 0 clients & 0 experience. I’m looking at roughly starting with under 10k, getting a solid port (don’t kill me fellas) and I’ll still feel a hell of a lot better with that investment if I for what ever reason hate the work. The ultimate goal we have in mind is get our feet wet in the industry with a port setup, make as much as we can with it and reinvest the money as it comes in.
The beauty of it all is we’re already self employed so there’s no risk from abandoning a solid job. If I don’t get jobs I’ll just keep working what I’m doing and market harder. Oh and I’ve probably watched half of the damn videos on YouTube already haha

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
There's good money being a tow truck driver.

how much does a new flatbed cost?
going rate here is a $100-$125 a pick-up and drop.
and the last couple tows I've had, the driver had a couple hours in each

which begs the queston...what other start-up bizes have you considered, Tony?

..L.T.A.

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
heck...you can kick cans around and turn that into a successful business....whatever you put your mind to do...you can achieve it. now is a great time to survey the land, the situation and explore how you can turn a simple idea into big gains. don't limit yourself to one path and one way of thinking or take the same paths as most.
Excellent time to bust out of the sheep herd and make a dash towards setting your self apart from and away from the pack. but if you ok with following the herd...thats fine too...whatever floats your boat. so long as your happy...keep paddling on that boat...you make it to land one of these centuries.

1586919641884.png

Reactions: Mikey P

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
how much does a new flatbed cost?
going rate here is a $100-$125 a pick-up and drop.
and the last couple tows I've had, the driver had a couple hours in each

which begs the queston...what other start-up bizes have you considered, Tony?

..L.T.A.
I’ve looked into commercial kitchen hood cleaning. There’s good money in that too $300-600 avg per job. But the hours are graveyard so didn’t really want to sacrifice my personal life. And there’s no regulation for people to actually get it done like there supposed to. I’ve looked into mobile car detailing (a complete waste of time) and some other random things.

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
Identify your market, commercial or residential, or ratio of either

then you can look at equipment that suits your market
Since my original post I’ve decided to switch targets. At least for now. I’m looking at commercial now since I don’t think residential is going to be that busy with the virus going around. If I’m wrong correct me.

Mikey P

Administrator
Ok gotcha. I’ve seen them but didn’t look into them at all cause I thought I was solely going the hwe rout at first.
No offense taken, can’t expect premium pay with mediocre work. I’m in it to hone these skills and be making that serious money. Not be a bait n run guy.
I was looking into commercial hood cleaning prior to this and wasn’t too fond of the hours with that either. May be something down the long road and there’s plenty to master before then.
Here's an offer..

Line up 10 or so homes for cpt, uph and or tile cleaning and I'll come down and teach you more than you could learn on your own or in IICRC classes in ten years.

I'll come equipped.

I'll need a hotel room and a serious paycheck.

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
heck...you can kick cans around and turn that into a successful business....whatever you put your mind to do...you can achieve it. now is a great time to survey the land, the situation and explore how you can turn a simple idea into big gains. don't limit yourself to one path and one way of thinking or take the same paths as most.
Excellent time to bust out of the sheep herd and make a dash towards setting your self apart from and away from the pack. but if you ok with following the herd...thats fine too...whatever floats your boat. so long as your happy...keep paddling on that boat...you make it to land one of these centuries.

View attachment 98637
True, true. I’m not necessarily trying to follow the heard, but if it’s what everyone does it must be for a reason right? I would hope people don’t drop that much money into equipment just to be flashy.. Though I’ve seen plenty of people get into dick measuring contests over TM’s over multiple threads. Not in this thread thankfully haha. I’ll differentiate myself in my marketing techniques. Well my wife will haha she understands that side a whole lot more than I do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom