New to the business and looking for advice

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Equipment to go with the truckmount:
Sapphire upholstery tool, none better.
Devastator 12” wand. Thank me later.
Rotovac 360i with brush head and metal suction shoes. Ignore the other attachments.
A decent spotting kit. Every brand sells them.

You forgot a sprayer to pre-spray with
portyhAck.

In all seriousness, Steve, would you be making enough if not for your Navy retirement and bennies?

..L.T.A.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
$100 per hour may seem like a lot but you're probably not going to make that 8 hours a day. Some days, you may not have any work at all. It's hard work getting quality customers and can be expensive. Coupled with your equipment payments, you really have to hustle to make any money. Talk to more carpet cleaners and see what they are doing. My residential average is about $150 per hour. My commercial is $200-$300 per hour. Plan out how you will attract customers, what will make you different than all the rest in your neighborhood.

Reactions: Hack Attack

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I would go with a used van and a small new TM like a Sapphire Rage or TCS Warrior and only if you have the money in the bank to pay for it. I wouldn't want to take on a payment right now with the economy crashed. I also wouldn't pour much into marketing right now because people just aren't calling, except if you want to go ahead and have a website designed because it takes awhile to climb to the top of the organic search results. You also don't have to have all the toys to clean carpet. All wands squirt and suck hot water. Some guys like to scrub first but if you use a good prespray it's not necessary on residential . You can add a few expensive toys later as business grows. Good luck!

Reactions: Cleanworks

sassyotto

Name
Paul
wrapping the van
I’d like to reserve as much capital as possible
so you want to reserve as much as possible but wrap the van?

heres my *wrap*. gives them all the information they need to know Cost? All of $100

Build a website, do your online marketing, visit Realtor offices consistently

And do that dang ride along. Someone here must be fairly close to you

IMG_3595.jpg

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
Is he the guy going to service your TM or are you mechanically inclined with a garage big enough to work in and tools?

AND what TMs does he see the most of and what's his preferred brand?

.L.T.A.
He’s the closest to me so I’d definitely be using him to service my machine. I definitely don’t have the skills/knowledge to work on the machines myself. To be honest I don’t even know how they operate. Hard to find videos of the basic operation of them, but I figured I’d get a lesson while getting a cert or ask the local TM mechanic to give me a basic how to. But those last 2 questions are something I will definitely be asking him.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
He’s the closest to me so I’d definitely be using him to service my machine. I definitely don’t have the skills/knowledge to work on the machines myself. To be honest I don’t even know how they operate. Hard to find videos of the basic operation of them, but I figured I’d get a lesson while getting a cert or ask the local TM mechanic to give me a basic how to. But those last 2 questions are something I will definitely be asking him.
I sure don't want to be your first customer.

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
Anthony, I am living proof that you can begin with a decent portable, acquire incrementally better gear and with a great work ethic, coupled with a pathological lack of ambition remain a brokedick portyhack nine years later.
But I love wearing hair shirts and sloughing off the abuse rightfully heaped on me by my betters, so it is all good.

Get the training. Then get an upholstery training class. Find a good chemical pimp. Ask Damon if you could maybe ride along a time or two and yes, get that truckmount.
Be prepared to do a lot of tinkering.

Equipment to go with the truckmount:
Sapphire upholstery tool, none better.
Devastator 12” wand. Thank me later.
Rotovac 360i with brush head and metal suction shoes. Ignore the other attachments.
A decent spotting kit. Every brand sells them.

A big box of hankies for when the world discovers you are trying to better yourself and tries to cannibalize you.

The single best asset you need is time discipline. Work your plan and adapt. Welcome aboard!
Awesome advice, thank you! I know that it’s definitely possible to work solely off a port, but I want to make the work as easy and simple as possible right off the bat. And since I have enough capital to get a cheap TM right away I think I’ll start there. I was looking at a sheardry upholstery tool at first but I’ve seen a lot of people talking about that sapphire tool, so I’ll go with that. Same with the devastator, you’ve solidified those two for me. As for the 360i, those are the only attachments you recommend? I was gonna get the T&G head but in comparison with the sx15/12 it looks like it was severely lacking. But that’s when I thought I was going to start with a portable. I’m guessing the brush head eliminates the need to agitate with a crb? Thanks for the kind welcoming!

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
I sure don't want to be your first customer.
Fair enough. As Ive already mentioned, I’m 100% new to this. I wouldn’t start working on anyone’s home without proper training. Nor do I have a single piece of equipment or hands on experience, thus my posting here. Everyone starts somewhere, highly doubt you knew what you were doing when you first started.

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
I would go with a used van and a small new TM like a Sapphire Rage or TCS Warrior and only if you have the money in the bank to pay for it. I wouldn't want to take on a payment right now with the economy crashed. I also wouldn't pour much into marketing right now because people just aren't calling, except if you want to go ahead and have a website designed because it takes awhile to climb to the top of the organic search results. You also don't have to have all the toys to clean carpet. All wands squirt and suck hot water. Some guys like to scrub first but if you use a good prespray it's not necessary on residential . You can add a few expensive toys later as business grows. Good luck!

Ok, I’ll start looking into those machines. I’m not going to buy anything until I’m ready, just doing tons of research for the time being and learning what I can online. Hopefully I can find someone hurting for cash during this C19 mess willing to part with a used van with low miles. I’m definitely not putting anything into marketing with everything going on at the moment, but web design would be smart right now. Well, soon. Gonna hold off on that as well until things are more clear and I’m closer to launching. Yea, I’ll probably just go with the basic requirements out the gate and pick up more as I go. Thanks!

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
After you get set up with your equipment and training, I think you need to consider reaching out to the older businesses that have just 1-3 vans and see if they can sub you out on some work. Make it known that you want to network/not compete. The average sub paycheck is 50-70% of the job. It's not big money, but it's cash flow. Something that you'll need fast.

I only suggest this angle because you mentioned your marketing budget and went more to word of mouth and facebook. Not something that'll bring in work very fast.

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
so you want to reserve as much as possible but wrap the van?

heres my *wrap*. gives them all the information they need to know Cost? All of $100

Build a website, do your online marketing, visit Realtor offices consistently

And do that dang ride along. Someone here must be fairly close to you

View attachment 98563
Considering that I’m now being bashed for my lack of knowledge I may just need to do that ride along haha. As for the wrap, that’s what people will see the most and after that one time expense it’s free marketing. I’d rather go all out with something that catches the eye and in my eyes it just looks more professional.

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
After you get set up with your equipment and training, I think you need to consider reaching out to the older businesses that have just 1-3 vans and see if they can sub you out on some work. Make it known that you want to network/not compete. The average sub paycheck is 50-70% of the job. It's not big money, but it's cash flow. Something that you'll need fast.

I only suggest this angle because you mentioned your marketing budget and went more to word of mouth and facebook. Not something that'll bring in work very fast.
Facebook has actually become a huge asset in the marketing world, especially because you can simply target your immediate area and only pay for that. Of course it’s not the only route I want to go, so if you don't mind me asking, what has worked best for you?

Reactions: hogjowl

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Facebook has actually become a huge asset in the marketing world, especially because you can simply target your immediate area and only pay for that. Of course it’s not the only route I want to go, so if you don't mind me asking, what has worked best for you?
In my area, facebook is a good tool. But I don't know the competition in your area with that location. It could be like Atlanta and in that area, I think Facebook isn't as good, due to the number of other carpet cleaners. I understand targeting the area and type of customers. I'm just throwing out some alternative ideas for you to take if you don't get the ROI from your facebook ads.

I think you also need to reach out to the air duct cleaning companies, pressure washing companies, etc, and network with them as well

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
In my area, facebook is a good tool. But I don't know the competition in your area with that location. It could be like Atlanta and in that area, I think Facebook isn't as good, due to the number of other carpet cleaners. I understand targeting the area and type of customers. I'm just throwing out some alternative ideas for you to take if you don't get the ROI from your facebook ads.

I think you also need to reach out to the air duct cleaning companies, pressure washing companies, etc, and network with them as well
That’s true, and knowing my area most guys are probably already on Facebook. If it doesn’t have a good return I’ll find other ways. And thank you that’s smart. Once we had business cards I intended on networking with other service businesses but I didn’t think of those 2!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Hey Damon, I know a guy that might work for free for a couple weeks.
He has no experience, but is eager and willing to learn

some of those empty ratholes you do would be perfect...

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Fat Mike

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Fair enough. As Ive already mentioned, I’m 100% new to this. I wouldn’t start working on anyone’s home without proper training. Nor do I have a single piece of equipment or hands on experience, thus my posting here. Everyone starts somewhere, highly doubt you knew what you were doing when you first started.
I worked for many other companies before I went on my own. Right now you don't have a clue about machines, how they operate, how to repair them. You don't have a clue about chemistry. You don't have a clue as how to actually clean carpet or upholstery or tiles. You would be better off working for someone else for a while, even just to see if you like the work. Better to make mistakes working for someone else. Costs you much less.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
I’d rather go all out with something that catches the eye and in my eyes it just looks more professional.
sure, be like everyone else.

BTW, if your going to base your marketing off what YOUR eyes thinks, your in for a looooooooooooooooooooong startup

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
Potables suck. If starting out, I'd get a truck mount and a very good pad machine. But first, I would work for someone for a couple years to get a handle on the sharp stick of this business.

Pretty tough to do that. Go work for someone for a few years? Yikes

Reactions: Anthony E

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I doubt you'll get very many answers on what tools you should use right now. Just jump in the wild world of carpet cleaning and keep in touch with us when you have more specific questions, when you get in the realm of each cleaning and business situation
Don worry Matt started out a real dumbass as well...so theres hope for all....

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom