Is 2" worth it?

soundguy7440

Name
SoundGuy
Oh and Skippy, if and when you actually get some full day routes.. plan on making no more than three dry strokes if you ever want to get home
. so figure out your system too function that way, 16 is not a reality

I'm just sticking with doing friends and family right now, but you're right it took almost 3 hrs to do 2 smallish rooms with furniture with that amount of dry strokes.

Reactions: Mikey P

soundguy7440

Name
SoundGuy
It looks like I can get a used oreck orbiter on ebay for around 200, are they worth looking at? Because I'm doing it for friends and family right now, space is at a premium, but if a 175 will make that much more of a difference I could probably find a way to make it fit...

soundguy7440

Name
SoundGuy
I just ordered a hole glide for my wand, would different jets also make a difference? Right now I have 11002 jets. Aside from getting a 175, is there anything else I should do?

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
2 of my chimps cleaned with a porty on 2nd floor of a school. Got downstairs and asked if they could keep using it instead of the truckmount😳 NO, quit jacking around😡

• Haha
Reactions: Fat Mike

soundguy7440

Name
SoundGuy
I would love to, I really would, but I can't just go to Minnesota right now... If I could I totally would.

If there was someone closer, that might be a different story.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Nothing wrong with portable equipment. You just need a more powerful version. A cat1xp will run you 3 or 400 bucks.but you'll get 500 psi static and about 350 to 400 triggered.You'll need an unloader. I just stuck in 2 new 5.7 vacs in my machine and my cost was 206 bucks Canadian. But I have access to a local wholesaler. You'll also need an extra plug. Look for an inline heater as internal heaters get too hot in the cavity and cause pumps and vacs to prematurely fail.. I'd also look at downsizing your jets to 11015. Less flow but higher impact and your heater will work better When you get ahead figure out how to get the vacs running in parallel instead of series. Much better recovery.

Maybe check Craigslist for a Host machine. They're generally inexpensive and give a pretty good mechanical agitation. The 175 has a learning curve. Good machines but they can get a little gnarly to new users.

Last edited:

soundguy7440

Name
SoundGuy
Nothing wrong with portable equipment. You just need a more powerful version. A cat1xp will run you 3 or 400 bucks. You'll need an unloader. I just stuck in 2 new 5.7 vacs in my machine and my cost was 206 bucks Canadian. But I have access to a local wholesaler. You'll also need an extra plug. Look for an inline heater as internal heaters get too hot in the cavity and cause pumps and vacs to prematurely fail. When you get ahead figure out how to get the vacs running in parallel instead of series. Much better recovery.

Maybe check Craigslist for a Host machine. They're generally inexpensive and give a pretty good mechanical agitation.

Wow, I didn't realize that vac motors were that cheap! I'll have to look into that. Are there any you recommend? I'm not sure the best way to go about getting the vacs in parallel because the connection to make them run in series is molded into the frame of the unit... An inline heater is probably a good idea in the long run, but for right now I'm only doing friends and family that is pretty low on my radar. I'm sure a bigger pump will be nice, but I'm not sure I see the advantage right now as I'm already struggling to get the carpets dry (I'll definitely keep it in mind though!)

Reactions: Mikey P

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
what part of Michigan?
I'm 3.5 hours from DeEt-rot

I have a 1.5HP (don't buy a 1HP for carpet scrubbing) 175 rotary in good condition I'll sell you for a couple hundred .
The first time you clean anything more than moderate soil with a rotary scrub and flush/rinse extract,
... your eyeballs will pop out of your hED at the difference
( ....compared to ANY other mechanical agitation devise)

now a "Book of Real" coming at you, Kid

regarding glides and dry times
don't know about anyone else, but my 8-10 or so side by side tests with same wand/same rooms/same days show there's not a dime's worth of difference in complete dry times.
Cobby did some some tests years ago that mirrored mine.
and don't know of anyone that's actually measured recovery water of any measurable difference either

My conclusion to that and why "everybody says that"
Guys run a hole glided wand next to a non , feel it right away and are "wow'd"
feel it 30-40 minutes later though, you can't tell the difference .
Check it to "moisture meter" dry, and there's just no practical difference.

Dry times in general;
All things being equal (carpet type, humidity, air movement etc) the amount of pre-spray (and type) has as much and more to do with dry time length than anything

wand..AW29 is great cleaning wand ....particularly at lower PSI like 300ish and less
It out cleans a Ti wand at same PSI, and Ti doesn't equal it til 450+ PSI

I can and will tell you, the AW29 is a damnfine cleaning wand you can build a cheerleader clientele with..and anyone that tells you different is stupid or has a stick up their azz

and AW29 doesn't need a glide
BTW, glides in general don't clean some carpet as well as an unglided wand either.
In particular, quality cut piles (glide doesn't allow vac slot to "squeegee" as deep into bottom of fiber bundles)
Having said that...
They're great for operator fatigue, but more importantly, body wear-out (in particular shoulders/arms/wrists) that WILL happen with years of repetitive motion
THAT is their greatest virtue and what makes them worth the dough

but a porty with an AW29 wand?
at your age?...if you can't handle that unglided (for a better clean without mechanical agitation) you might be better suited to an office job.... if you're that damn soggy..

..LTA

soundguy7440

Name
SoundGuy
what part of Michigan?
I'm 3.5 hours from DeEt-rot

I have a 1.5HP (don't buy a 1HP for carpet scrubbing) 175 rotary in good condition I'll sell you for a couple hundred .
The first time you clean anything more than moderate soil with a rotary scrub and flush/rinse extract,
... your eyeballs will pop out of your hED at the difference
( ....compared to ANY other mechanical agitation devise)

now a "Book of Real" coming at you, Kid

regarding glides and dry times
don't know about anyone else, but my 8-10 or so side by side tests with same wand/same rooms/same days show there's not a dime's worth of difference in complete dry times.
Cobby did some some tests years ago that mirrored mine.
and don't know of anyone that's actually measured recovery water of any measurable difference either

My conclusion to that and why "everybody says that"
Guys run a hole glided wand next to a non , feel it right away and are "wow'd"
feel it 30-40 minutes later though, you can't tell the difference .
Check it to "moisture meter" dry, and there's just no practical difference.

Dry times in general;
All things being equal (carpet type, humidity, air movement etc) the amount of pre-spray (and type) has as much and more to do with dry time length than anything

wand..AW29 is great cleaning wand ....particularly at lower PSI like 300ish and less
It out cleans a Ti wand at same PSI, and Ti doesn't equal it til 450+ PSI

I can and will tell you, the AW29 is a damnfine cleaning wand you can build a cheerleader clientele with..and anyone that tells you different is stupid or has a stick up their azz

and AW29 doesn't need a glide
BTW, glides in general don't clean some carpet as well as an unglided wand either.
In particular, quality cut piles (glide doesn't allow vac slot to "squeegee" as deep into bottom of fiber bundles)
Having said that...
They're great for operator fatigue, but more importantly, body wear-out (in particular shoulders/arms/wrists) that WILL happen with years of repetitive motion
THAT is their greatest virtue and what makes them worth the dough

but a porty with an AW29 wand?
at your age?...if you can't handle that unglided (for a better clean without mechanical agitation) you might be better suited to an office job.... if you're that damn soggy..

..LTA
Hahaha, I can definitely use an AW29 unglided without issue. The problem I was trying to overcome was the dry times and amount of dry strokes it was taking, and I definitely wasn't thinking that a glide would be some magic wand and cut my dry times in half. I just ordered some 3 stage vac motors to replace the old 2 stage motors in my porty now. Would running them in parallel be better than the series setup they are in now? I saw a guy on youtube who built a DIY ETM with the same motors I got, and he was able to run 150' of 2" hose without a problem, which gives me hope that they will help. I'm easily 5hrs, probably closer to 6 from your area, so I appreciate the offer but I'll probably keep looking a little closer to home. Because I'm mostly doing friends and family right now, something around a 13" 175 would be ideal (due to lack of storage), but there don't seem to be very many of them on the used market. :(

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Would running them in parallel be better than the series setup they are in now?

you'll have to ask Willy or Ron that
Portys all suck (not enough) to me

I saw a guy on youtube who built a DIY ETM with the same motors I got, and he was able to run 150' of 2" hose without a problem,

tell him I said he's an idiot .....unless 75-100ft of that hose is running down two stories to the machine

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Sierra Clean Care

soundguy7440

Name
SoundGuy
you'll have to ask Willy or Ron that
Portys all suck (not enough) to me

tell him I said he's an idiot .....unless 75-100ft of that hose is running down two stories to the machine

..L.T.A.
Looking back in the thread Willy suggested parallel. With 3 stage motors in parallel I guess I come back to the original question... is there a point with portys that 2" becomes useful? Looking around my area there arent many small 175s for sale, so that is going to have be on hold for a bit.

There is one guy over near detroit selling a working rx-20 for $500, if I had any more money I'd go look at it, but it's at least $250-300 out of my price range atm...

Name
Jeff T
Looking back in the thread Willy suggested parallel. With 3 stage motors in parallel I guess I come back to the original question... is there a point with portys that 2" becomes useful? Looking around my area there arent many small 175s for sale, so that is going to have be on hold for a bit.

There is one guy over near detroit selling a working rx-20 for $500, if I had any more money I'd go look at it, but it's at least $250-300 out of my price range atm...
Both Willy and Ron know what they are talking about when it comes to portys....both guys are veterans, and both operate in a large Canadian city....(Vancouver)....

soundguy7440

Name
SoundGuy
Both Willy and Ron know what they are talking about when it comes to portys....both guys are veterans, and both operate in a large Canadian city....(Vancouver)....
That's good to hear. If either of them have thoughts on the best way to modify my machine I'd be happy to send pics of it.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
That's good to hear. If either of them have thoughts on the best way to modify my machine I'd be happy to send pics of it.
Your machine has to either be set up for a parallel configuration or be modified for it. Series is ok as long as your not using long hose runs. Parallel gives you more airflow. We are using 5.7 inch vac motors usually 13.8 amps each with 2 power cords. Newer machines are often using 6.6 inch vac motors that give you up to 20% more power but also may take more amps. Best to get used to your machine as it is first, then think about upgrades. Get a moisture probe if you really want to be accurate about drying times. Carpets take longer to dry than you think. Average time where I live is 10-12 hours or longer on heavily soiled residential carpets. About 4 hours on commercial glue down.

soundguy7440

Name
SoundGuy
Your machine has to either be set up for a parallel configuration or be modified for it. Series is ok as long as your not using long hose runs. Parallel gives you more airflow. We are using 5.7 inch vac motors usually 13.8 amps each with 2 power cords. Newer machines are often using 6.6 inch vac motors that give you up to 20% more power but also may take more amps. Best to get used to your machine as it is first, then think about upgrades. Get a moisture probe if you really want to be accurate about drying times. Carpets take longer to dry than you think. Average time where I live is 10-12 hours or longer on heavily soiled residential carpets. About 4 hours on commercial glue down.
I see. I know knowing how wet is appropriate after dry strokes is probably something that will come over time, but is there a "amount of wetness" that is considered acceptable after cleaning (I know that is hard to convey over any medium aside from being able to feel it)? How long is too long for carpets to stay damp? I have ordered some 5.7 3 stage vac motors to replace the 2 stages I have now. They should be here this week. I thought about going bigger, but the way my machine's body is designed I would have to build a whole new motor mounting system.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I see. I know knowing how wet is appropriate after dry strokes is probably something that will come over time, but is there a "amount of wetness" that is considered acceptable after cleaning (I know that is hard to convey over any medium aside from being able to feel it)? How long is too long for carpets to stay damp? I have ordered some 5.7 3 stage vac motors to replace the 2 stages I have now. They should be here this week. I thought about going bigger, but the way my machine's body is designed I would have to build a whole new motor mounting system.
Up to 24 hours drying time is acceptable. Drying time varies depending on temperature and humidity. Carpets dry faster in Arizona than they do in Florida. The wetter you get the carpets, the longer it takes to dry. Watch how much prespray you put down. Trigger the wand on the pull back stroke only. Use fans to speed drying if it concerns you. Dripods work great for that

Name
Jeff T
The simplest way is the knee test:
Kneel down on the carpet with pants on for 30 seconds....
How wet is your knee?????

Latest posts

Latest Auctions

Back
Top Bottom