Can a backpack vacuum take the place of a shop vac?

Name
Swani
We have a large construction clean coming up. Our shop vac's are not that great. I'm considering buying a Pro Team or Powr Flite backpack vacuum. Or should I break down and buy a decent shop vac?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
We have a large construction clean coming up. Our shop vac's are not that great. I'm considering buying a Pro Team or Powr Flite backpack vacuum. Or should I break down and buy a decent shop vac?
The difference is in the size of the hose. I have a large rigid vac from home Depot with a 2 1/2 inch hose. It'll suck up just about anything without clogging. The tools are crap but get the job done.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Depends on what you're vacuuming. Doing construction clean up you may be sucking up bits of wire clippings, chunks of drywall, wood splinters, paper, etc. It'll plug up that 1 1/4 inch hose in no time. Better to use a shop vac first for the rough stuff then a back pack for the final clean. The rigid vacuums come with or without bags, HEPA filters, etc. Can also be used as a wet vac.

Reactions: Living The Dream
Name
Jeff T
The difference is in the size of the hose. I have a large rigid vac from home Depot with a 2 1/2 inch hose. It'll suck up just about anything without clogging. The tools are crap but get the job done.
Took the words right out of my mouth. But,
Don’t use the stock POS hose, cut 25-30 ft of 2” vac hose from you’re junk pile. Use 2” soft vac cuffs from the supplier. It fits like a glove, and don’t bother running the BS HEPA filter, just use one step down. Keep it clean, and it will P/U almost anything.
And don’t run the BS ‘silencer ‘, it chokes the vac motor....
I’m sure you guys south of the border can pick one up for 150-200$.... I’ve run mine for the last 8 years, for business, and Home.
Don’t bother with the Stainless Steel one, all you gain is a shiny canister....

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Without the HEPA you risk redistributing sheetrock dust. If you have all that crap Ron listed, I'd sweep it up with a broom first. Then detail vacuum to finish.
Hard to sweep carpet. The hepa filter screws on and off easily. Between the hepa filter, the bag and foam filter on the exhaust, nothing will escape.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hard to sweep carpet. The hepa filter screws on and off easily. Between the hepa filter, the bag and foam filter on the exhaust, nothing will escape.
I was speaking to the HEPA rated backpack not the HEPA rated filter on the shop vac. I don't believe they are the same but I've never tested a shopvac for HEPA particle recovery or lack of.

The Pro Team we use on Mold Remediation jobs in Critical care units of a hospital and computer clean room clean up. I have confidence it can pass clearance testing.

Last edited:

steve_64

Without the HEPA you risk redistributing sheetrock dust. If you have all that crap Ron listed, I'd sweep it up with a broom first. Then detail vacuum to finish.
No you don't redistribute it. We clean a lot of new construction. It takes a good shop vac with 2 and a half inch hose for floors. And a small shop vac for cabinets. We have one we really like for that now and have tried several. I'd have to go look to see what it is but I'm tired.

We keep extra filters for the shop vacs or you can tap the dirt out several times from the filter. Its mostly drywall dust and you lose airflow so your motor gets hot so keep it clean.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
No you don't redistribute it. We clean a lot of new construction. It takes a good shop vac with 2 and a half inch hose for floors. And a small shop vac for cabinets. We have one we really like for that now and have tried several. I'd have to go look to see what it is but I'm tired.

We keep extra filters for the shop vacs or you can tap the dirt out several times from the filter. Its mostly drywall dust and you lose airflow so your motor gets hot so keep it clean.
As long as you say so. I don't believe it would pass clearance testing. But if its working for you, that's great.

steve_64

As long as you say so. I don't believe it would pass clearance testing. But if its working for you, that's great.
Maybe I'm confused on the filter. We just use the pleated one that cost about ten bucks. Not sure if that's the helps or not.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
We have a large construction clean coming up

you'll be better served with a shop-vac, Nick
as Ron mentioned, hose diameter is the biggest reason

HD's Rigid brand are the best.
Buy the $159 dollar one and it's also one of the quietest on market

a light wt small one in hand is handy to have too for some tasks
this one kicks azz and is only $39 right now

..L.T.A.

steve_64

PEEE-AZZZ

tech tip
Don't point the exhaust flow at a pile of dust :eekk::dejection:
... and it'll be al'ite....

..L.T.A.
Shop vacs blow about 2 feet over the surface. I've never had it kick up dust cept when have to clean the filter. It kicks out a little when you turn it back on.

We do about 15 new co struction jobs a year.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Shop vacs blow about 2 feet over the surface. I've never had it kick up dust

I'm the guy that makes the construction mess, Steveo

Obviously you've never seen a knucklehead blow sawdust around with shopvac exhaust close and directed toward a wall

..L.T.A.

Name
Swani
you'll be better served with a shop-vac, Nick
as Ron mentioned, hose diameter is the biggest reason

HD's Rigid brand are the best.
Buy the $159 dollar one and it's also one of the quietest on market

View attachment 88066

a light wt small one in hand is handy to have too for some tasks
this one kicks azz and is only $39 right now

View attachment 88067

..L.T.A.
I'm going to go pick the $159 one up this weekend. I think I'm also going to order a refurbished Pro Team backpack one for the lighter vacuuming. I'm hoping it should increase production and be worth the investment.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'm going to go pick the $159 one up this weekend. I think I'm also going to order a refurbished Pro Team backpack one for the lighter vacuuming. I'm hoping it should increase production and be worth the investment.
I think the back pack is a good way to go once you have all the chunky stuff picked up.

steve_64

I like a shop vac better. My back hurts enough already. The small one we put on counters to clean cabinets.

Getting under staircases might be a pain with the backpack and other tight spaces.

We thought of trying a backpack but I've never tried one. I would be interested in hearing how it works for you.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Way to go boys. The way to go is to have the big leaf dust pan, plastic, and broom to pick al the big shite up. The Ridgid for the piles of shite that are scatter about. Theeen, go through with the back or hip vac moving at a high rate of speed. Window seals, cabinets, counters, behind toilets, etc. Wash and scrape windows and doors, clean carpets, strip and wax vinyl. Dust light fixtures, and anything else before the strip and wax.

scotty747

I have both. Haven't used the back pack in 5 years. Large wet vac with 2 inch 20 ft. or so, then down to inch and a half for cabinets, etc. Its easier to work with a long hose than keep moving or holding a small vac. Thinking about getting a cobra for window tracks.

Name
Swani
I have both. Haven't used the back pack in 5 years. Large wet vac with 2 inch 20 ft. or so, then down to inch and a half for cabinets, etc. Its easier to work with a long hose than keep moving or holding a small vac. Thinking about getting a cobra for window tracks.
What's a cobra?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
This a nice one too. We got one from an MB auction.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom