Brand new! Help please!

claybalz

Name
Clayton
Hey guys.. I'm new to all of this so of course in need of a little help! What portable to get? I currently work full but looking to get into cleaning mainly residential property on the side for now. I'm 25 and very ambitious I plan to expand into a full service business. I'm currently torn.. I know you get what you pay for and I was sold on the mytee 2002cs contractor special $1699 comes with a wand ready to go pretty good deal right? 120 psi, hot water, and 3 stage vac. But as I read I'm scared of the 120 psi.. I want to do a professional job and also invest in something I can use down the road! Considering the mytee itd5 I know it's a better machine more options adjustable pressed but would really rather save the extra 1500 dollars for now!! I understand that more psi and more heat is better and cleans faster. But my question is how much.. is the difference worth stretching the budget? Does anyone do much tile work with there carpet machine? I know it wouldn't be an option with the 120 psi any advice is very appreciated!

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
More pressure is helpful. Volume of water at a given pressure is also a factor. I would not want to clean carpet with anything less than 200 PSI and would feel better around 400 - 500 PSI at 2 GPM at least.

Heat is important. But you may be able to get heat from other sources than your portable. Electric power on each home circuit is limited. When the available power on a one or two cord portable is used for heat, the heat is never as much as you expect it to be and it limits the power available for other uses.

I would rather get hot tap water and use a bucket heater ($50 to $100). Use the electric power for water pressure and vacuum. You need to get the water and soil out of the carpet. Customers want fast drying. A good job means removing the water and the soil that is suspended in the water. Get the best vacuums you can afford! Mytee, Cross America, Cobb all sell some units with excellent vacuum power. Also look at our Nautilus portables, especially the Nautilus Xtremes. This model includes all the hoses, wand, etc. https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=MXE-200

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I'd go work for a company that you think is doing something similar with similar equipment...for a year or so. You'll learn what's up and will get a solid idea about equipment (if they have a variety).
You might find, that buying whatever you listed, wasn't going to be a good idea.

Gain some knowledge and experience before you spend your money.

As you said "I want to do a professional job" - believe me, the equipment will have a lot less to do with how you will achieve that "professional job" than what you think. Some veterans around here will do a better job with a toothbrush and a rug doctor, than some newbie with an expensive machine.

Learn before you spend.

rick imby

Name
Rick
@Goomer is an old hand at porty cleaning as he is in New York and does a lot of high rises. He has some great articles on what he wants in a portable.

500psi
two vacs with as much suck as possible
No heater in the porty--

Look into agitation equipment also.---175 rpm floor machine, CRB machine are most commonly used.

Good luck

PS nobody that cleans with a porty on this board would recommend the contractor special you are looking at....

claybalz

Name
Clayton
Thanks for the info Scott! I know that working for a company would be ideal! But that simply isn't an option for me.. I have a pretty good job and couldn't afford to let It go as of now. But I do know nothing is more valuable than experience! But as for the mytee 2002cs.. you guys think it would be regretful they call it the contractor special! Lol the fact that it's $1699 is a huge benefit for me! I know you get what you pay for and I'm going cheep! I can do without the luxuries and conveniences as of now. But if it simply won't do a good quality job for residential homes and maybe get my foot in the door to a few businesses I'll need to look into something else..

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
images.jpg

claybalz

Name
Clayton
Haha thanks rick! Not what I wanted to hear but don't want junk either! I will look into something else hopefully I find something somewhat affordable!

Tom Forsythe

I would also consider commercial cleaning using the encapsulation method. It is easier to perform at a professional level than extraction cleaning. It can get you a base of customers that can lead you into extraction when the encapsulation maintenance has run its course. All carpets need extraction eventually, but you can get your feet wet performing the maintenance service. A used Cimex or Brush Pro could get you started with a couple of other accessories like vacuum, sprayer, and chemical.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Experience is super important. However, education and an inquisitive mind is even more so.

I started cleaning carpets without working for a cleaning company for a single day.
I went to all the classes available, harassed my teachers with a zillion questions (they were very gracious). Talked to as many cleaners that would answer my questions and share their knowledge. Went to two ride along (half a day each) with cleaners that were kind enough to let me come with them. And read a lot about cleaning.

These days and with this board it is much easier. Look at Imby, he sounds like a cleaning professor, though he's seen carpets only on the internet and in very low resolution :winky:

I did not save on equipment though. From the get go I saved to buy the best equipment available at the time. Some machines have fancy extra stuff that is not absolutely necessary and for the lack of which, you can compensate. Some, cheaper machines will compromise the cleaning results. The $ difference, though significant, will not be substantial, will pay for itself within just a few jobs, last longer and will save you time and wear.

Last edited:

Tony Wilson

Name
Tony Wilson
Take an IICRC CCT class. You'll learn a lot of beneficial information. The great thing about it is you can get a lot of great tips while there from not only the teachers but the techs and owners attending. Best thing I ever did when I started 20 years ago being that I had zero experience at that time. The experience will come in time.

You don't have to quit your job to get some hands on either. Find a local cleaner(who knows what he/she is doing) and tag along with them on a few jobs when your not working.

Reactions: J Scott W

steve_64

See what your local rental store has to offer. If you have zero experience go rent that and do your house and see if it's something you would pay to have done. If so start booking jobs and rent as needed till you can afford a quality machine.

Reactions: FredC

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I'm curious why carpet cleaning and not window cleaning?
Or pressure washing and deck staining ?
Or gutter cleaning and gutter guard install?
Or any number of part time biz opportunities that have less start up investment to do professional work?

.L.T.A.

Reactions: Russ T.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'm curious why carpet cleaning and not window cleaning?
Or pressure washing and deck staining ?
Or gutter cleaning and gutter guard install?
Or any number of part time biz opportunities that have less start up investment to do professional work?

.L.T.A.
I agree. If all I wanted to spend was $1600, I'd buy a pressure washer and some squeegees and I'd be in business

But I spent $6500 on my first setup, and it still needed a little more help

Good news is, you're asking us on here. I didn't have the forums when I got started. You're already ahead

Reactions: Patrick Yanello

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
yea,,and he knows nothing about the biz..
is considering a POS porty to get into the res market that's dominated by TMs

yessir, he'll be in tall cotton in no time :winky:
(not sure what he'll do after he runs out of aunts and uncles carpets to clean)

.L.T.A.
The truth hurts

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
yea,,and he knows nothing about the biz..
is considering a POS porty to get into the res market that's dominated by TMs

yessir, he'll be in tall cotton in no time :winky:
(not sure what he'll do after he runs out of aunts and uncles carpets to clean)

.L.T.A.
He could always sell insurance or securities or maybe Kirby's. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom