Boxer 427 replumb?

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Guys

I used to be a truckmount mechanic and retired. Now I'm getting back into it, and I took in trade a Boxer 427 that had the new 31 HP engine, and I'm rebuilding the machine. I am trying to get rid of all the junk before I sell it. IMO the original heat exchanger (that had been frozen) does not allow the exhaust to breath good enough and so the engine heads would go bad. I gutted the heat exchanger and installed 75" of coiled copper and it does not get hot enough. I see that the water box does not get warm water diverted to it, and if it did that would probably solve the problem. Has anyone re-plumbed one of these units so that it diverts into the water box until it gets at least gets warm?

Thx,
Dale Collins

Reactions: Living The Dream

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Guys

I used to be a truckmount mechanic and retired. Now I'm getting back into it, and I took in trade a Boxer 427 that had the new 31 HP engine, and I'm rebuilding the machine. I am trying to get rid of all the junk before I sell it. IMO the original heat exchanger (that had been frozen) does not allow the exhaust to breath good enough and so the engine heads would go bad. I gutted the heat exchanger and installed 75" of coiled copper and it does not get hot enough. I see that the water box does not get warm water diverted to it, and if it did that would probably solve the problem. Has anyone re-plumbed one of these units so that it diverts into the water box until it gets at least gets warm?

Thx,
Dale Collins
Thats 75' of K copper

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Hi Guys

Thx,
Dale Collins
As long as you know how to rig your pressure/temperature relief systems, you mignt want to consider buying an after market heat exchanger. Blue Baron sells some and I think Amtex might sell you some. I know that some Amtex units use dual heat exchangers. 75-100 feet of coil in each.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Thank you. Yes, I've used John's before. Just wondering if anybody has replumbed a system that's not well thought out?

Dale

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Thank you. Yes, I've used John's before. Just wondering if anybody has replumbed a system that's not well thought out?

Dale
I recently replumbed my thermalwave very similar to the everests layout. If you want to send water to the water box to circulate, you need a size 20 orifice disk installed on the ystrainer where you qd’s are so it can send the hot water back to the box when you’re not pulling the trigger on the wand and will also be accurate in the water temp readings

But I can’t remember if that model truckmount has a ystrainer

Name
Swani
Hi Guys

Thx,
Dale Collins
I have an original Boxxer 427 and it's been a great unit with over 3000 hrs on it now, but I do know some people had issues with theirs. I'm sure you've already checked this, but is your unit bypassing anything into the waste tank? When you look at the lights inside your fuse box what are they showing?

Name
Swani
I recently replumbed my thermalwave very similar to the everests layout. If you want to send water to the water box to circulate, you need a size 20 orifice disk installed on the ystrainer where you qd’s are so it can send the hot water back to the box when you’re not pulling the trigger on the wand and will also be accurate in the water temp readings

But I can’t remember if that model truckmount has a ystrainer
Screenshot_20221205_064524_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Thanks Big Wood!

BTW John's Hot Heat Exchangers never answer their 727 581 1700. Does anyone have any info?

Dale

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
BTW, Casey @ Johns Heat Exchangers finally answered. He had bought out John's old biz and does other types of fabricating now. Very little heat Exer's. "He has sent carpets cleaners to a co, in Jersey but can't remember who". Would anyone know who he meant?

Thx,
Dale

FredC

Village Idiot
BTW, Casey @ Johns Heat Exchangers finally answered. He had bought out John's old biz and does other types of fabricating now. Very little heat Exer's. "He has sent carpets cleaners to a co, in Jersey but can't remember who". Would anyone know who he meant?

Thx,
Dale

I don't know who he is referring to but there was a thread recently about maxfab in AL making heat exchanger for a member

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Gee whiz Dale - I remember you from the ICS red board days, back when I was young and had hair.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom