Operation Vortex/Aerotech "FENSTER-STEIN" is underway

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
That last post messed up.

As long as I tack everything first, it gets pre-heated nicely and doesn't warp, I also "Pulse" the petal, when dipping the filler I lay on the pedal and when moving the arc I let off it to about 20%. Before I was keeping it constant and burning through it like butter. even at a relatively low amperage.

Justin, what tig welder do you have?

I'm running an 200 amp Squarewave AC/DC from Eastwood, it is actually easier to do Aluminum than stainless for me, Ill be working on those giant holes in the alum. floor tomorrow.

Last edited:
J

JS41035

I knew what you meant. :)
My cousin has a fab shop. Does mainly ornamental stuff. But has 12' shear and 8' press brake. Plus iron worker for punching out holes in plate. We're spoiled I guess. Honestly my favorite TIG is the little miller 180 MVP. Multiple voltage plug. You can go 220 or 110. Does pretty good on either. And super portable with a small tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Last week we were over in Ashley's hood doing a small church and stopped to have lunch in front of his shop. Called to invite him to join my son and I for lunch but he declined saying he was covered in grease. So after lunch we stopped by his shop to visit the "Grease Monkey" and see his project.

I only wish I had 25% of the knowledge and talent of this young man! Project is coming along great! Oh and we would have took him lunch but the wifey already had that covered.

Oh, and Ashley keep working on those projects so these jobs you can't get to keep calling me! Everyone should be so lucky to have a friend/competitor that works together like Ashley and I. During the recent water emergencies I had to call on him to help with 2-3 emergency water extractions because I couldn't get to them, he reluctently did them although I know he was cursing me under his breath!

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Last week we were over in Ashley's hood doing a small church and stopped to have lunch in front of his shop. Called to invite him to join my son and I for lunch but he declined saying he was covered in grease. So after lunch we stopped by his shop to visit the "Grease Monkey" and see his project.

I only wish I had 25% of the knowledge and talent of this young man! Project is coming along great! Oh and we would have took him lunch but the wifey already had that covered.

Oh, and Ashley keep working on those projects so these jobs you can't get to keep calling me! Everyone should be so lucky to have a friend/competitor that works together like Ashley and I. During the resent water emergencies I had to call on him to help with 2-3 emergency water extractions because I couldn't get to them, he reluctently did them although I know he was cursing me under his breath!

I enjoyed seeing you and Allen! I wish I had something heavy to lift during your visit to put you guys to good use :biggrin:

I would gladly keep doing these projects if I could without going broke, I think I enjoy tinkering in the shop more than cleaning these days... been getting a little burned out :frown:

Reactions: BLewis

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Wish Ashley was near me too, that way I could just drop off my truck at his shop :) (wishful thinking)

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Damm I just dropped it off yesterday @ my distributor!

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Just got truck 3 back from the painter. Can't wait to get her back up and running. Throwing new tires and wheel simulators on her today as well as insulating and carpeting the walls.

Reactions: Jeremy N and tmdry

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Just got truck 3 back from the painter. Can't wait to get her back up and running. Throwing new tires and wheel simulators on her today as well as insulating and carpeting the walls.

Details on which insulation and carpet and 1.2.3 step for the technically challenged.

Thanks

Name
BradFenstermaker
Bill have Ashley take some pics of the roof insulation I put in his Vortex. Tom Cermak counseled me on what and how to use mount it.

Reactions: tmdry

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Sorry guys didn't see this till now.

We just use marine grade carpet glued to Masonite, hung .5 inch off the floor. For insulation we are in texas, so we just use .5 inch Owens Corning r40 board that floats behind the hung Masonite with carpet glued to it.

Did take a shot with the new simulators, paint, bottom rails, corner radiuses, and tires. Oh and popped a new windshield in today as it had a star.

I think simulators make a big difference.

AC6F10EA-ED94-45B9-B25B-361F8E85DD2A.jpg

3F56AD02-FF9B-495E-B554-D3FB56EA33DA.jpg

Last edited:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Looks good, I gotta get mine like that.

What are the corner radiuses and bottom guards?

Is that the corners where the walls of the exterior box comes together and the bottom of the sides?

Mine are mostly dented, would be nice to know if they can be removed/fixed/purchased new.

Any inside shots?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Yes they are polished stainless steel and cost about 600-700 each installed. So make sure you don't get ripped off.

I know it is self explanatory but this is how we lay out the Masonite and glue carpet in a way to minimize waste.

15F5F778-F82A-4CC5-91A8-FC0B6785343A.jpg

We change out most if not all the screws on the box as well as most of the hardware like fasteners and such. So we install longer screws and use the screw to hold the walls without putting any holes or screws in the walls of the truck.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Thanks for the tip Michael.

Can you post the info where I can purchase the stainless corners?

Name
BradFenstermaker
Bill I also researched but never did it.

Just get polished sheet metal and cover the dented corners. You will just need to pull all the screws then lay over and screw back. Silicone seal it up before paint

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
1/4" elephant bark went down today, double sided outdoor tape and black butyl rubber caulking for the seams.

yme3yru2.jpg

yqa4uju4.jpg
u5y9u9an.jpg
y5y2a5y3.jpg
yme3yru2.jpg

Attachments

• yme3yru2.jpg
    yme3yru2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 141

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Just get polished sheet metal and cover the dented corners. You will just need to pull all the screws then lay over and screw back. Silicone seal it up before paint

I assume most know this, but paint won't stick to most silicone sealers. If you smear it somewhere you don't intend it can spoil your paint job. You can get auto body seam sealer in caulking tubes that seals well and is paintable.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Damn that empty truck gives memories of how we start out gutting each truck when we first buy them and gut them.

It is a project for sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom