Marketing is like an onion..

Becker

Name
Becker
So many layers.

But when you come across a layer that is rotten your just peel it off and discard it.

So what are your layers of marketing, and what layers have you shit canned over the years.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
My "onion' is;

Great placement and listing on the Internet.

My marketing to large referral sources.

Client referral program

and regular mailings to my client base.

I have disposed of the Yellow pages (Does anybody even use the yellow pages any more. I havent looked into one for years?)

Bob Foster

I tried radio tied to a contest for 3 or 4 weeks ..............................................total looozing proposition.

F

FB7777

brokum is the man for this topic

I mean seriously, who better to ask about ACEing up in marketing and business

You don;t go from 16 employees to 1 without being a complete clusterfuck

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I'm content with my busines model.
Bigger isn't always better.

You could contribute something relevent to this thread PFred Insted of the constant crap.

You must not have anything else to offer, as usual.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I've done my fair share of paid internet advertising and figured I could do the same for next to nothing.
so that's one layered I peeled a way.

No paper product advertising other than business cards now....another layer

I listen to how others do it and where they are in life and DON'T do it that way.

Never take advice from someone you wouldn't want to trade places with.

F

FB7777

Dave Yoakum said:
I'm content with my busines model.
Bigger isn't always better.

You could contribute something relevent to this thread PFred Insted of the constant crap.

You must not have anything else to offer, as usual.
I do my contributing in the real world brokumdick... sorry I just don;t have the free time like you to sit here at all hours of the day explaing to people how successful my marketing is working ( all the while running a shitmount pedomobile for peanuts and underpriced room specials)

I'm content with reminding people here, in addition to Steve Cameron, Greg Crowley , Harper and the growing list of others that you are a huckster and are completely full of shit that is attempting to sell people something that hasn;t done much for you in the REAL WORLD

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Bob Foster said:
I tried radio tied to a contest for 3 or 4 weeks ..............................................total looozing proposition.

I can understand how frustrating that must have been Bob, however when trying to build a brand on any mass media like radio or tv 3 months is the minimum I would recommend before calling it a success or failure. Also it is so important to be targeting it correctly (demo, time of day & day of week). Not saying you were not doing it right but some food for thought.

F

FB7777

another thing brokum... you really forget who the hell you are trying to snow here... :mrgreen:

No successful business runs an ancient electro weinie mount as their only moneymaker... good grief I did a 3 grand with 2 truckmounts today... no way we could do that with weiniemounts

You may be able to sell that to the newbies like Bane Clene did in the 80s but its a brave new world

anybody netting a healthy 6 figure income knows you're a phoney

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
A Bane won't hold a candle to my machine and once again the more you talk the more you expose how clueless you are.

Everyone else is offering marketing tips.

You offer the hate you are filled with.

What a businessman you are.

F

FB7777

Hate??? LOL Define Businessman Brokum... money is my scorecard

I'm having a killer 2011 so I haven't been reading on here much... I figured I'd check out whats been going on

some old Cliff Youkum Claven spouting off

Becker , Don;t you have a house to buy with your future ex-wife ?

Becker

Name
Becker
pfred said:
Becker , Don;t you have a house to buy with your future ex-wife ?

Fredrick, you can do better than that!

What crawled up your skirt?

Why did ya enter this topic swinging?

Are ya just a bitch?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
He either is a bitch or he just likes to bitch.

This started as a helpful thread too bad some one has to show up and ruin it as usual.

At least he's consistent.

No real help, just bitching.

Does anybody else have any marketing strategies they like or ones that they had to give up?

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Dave Yoakum said:

This started as a helpful thread too bad some one has to show up and ruin it as usual.

Does anybody else have any marketing strategies they like or ones that they had to give up?

Maybe you SHOULD have kept your YELLOW PAGE AD.... :idea:

They were able to...cOmmUnIcAtE...at a rate of 16 to 1 ..."Better than your CurrEnT situation"

5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fuDDqU6n4o5]

It just the WAY ...he want's IT...So he GETS it... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PhReD...doesn't like to ..GIVE IT TO DAVE...It Hurts ... :cry: :mrgreen:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Harpo,
You have to be kidding?

The phone book is just a doorstop here.

Anyway I thought you avoided this room.

Cuz you can't learn.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Becker said:
maybe I should have posted this elsewhere...

Sorry DON.... :oops:
It is just such ...LOW HANGING FRUIT...when it comes to Dave... :roll:

OH..SHIT.. :!: :!: :!: :!:
I am NOT even ..aLloWed in this room.... :shock:

see you guys .."across the track's"....... shiteatinggrin

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Marketing has changed so much. YP did work well in the time before cell phones and internet. val-pak even worked well for for some. Now it seems that networking with other business and clients works the best. While these things are less expensive they require a lot of time.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Print media has dropped as a % of budget year after year for us, but still spend a fair amount. What been better for us recently in print has been specialty pubs i.e.

Jewish News
Woman's Lifestyle
Metro Parent
Metro You
Some regional/smaller town pubs

Have not done any Detroit Free Press/Detroit News this calendar year and use to spend 100k+ a year with them.

Added a network TV station this year bringing it to 3 in early morning news and GMA, Today Show, The View, Ellen and some others I can't think of now.

Most of my YP budget is now with yp online. They basicaolly throw in the books, which are supposed to be dissapearing over the next 2-3 years.

Ken

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ken brings up a good point about the the specialty magazines etc.

Targeting can get so much better with these types....mothers' mags etc might be a way to go.

If they have an online version then you might get the best of both worlds.

Jen gets Mags in the mail what seems like every day....and she reads them.

She puts them on the sofa right between us so it keeps me from getting too close. :oops:

The chances of getting a link from one of those website might be hard to do unless they have a blog etc. So the ad in the mag might take care of that as well.

I've considered getting into the real world paper version of Angie's List as well.

My kid always has some school program to get listed in too.
Her play has a play bill with ad space on it.

I know Harper has done some things like that because it's community based.

Thanks Ken.

F

FB7777

Dave Yoakum said:

alright Brokum here's some positive insight

my town has 27,000 people I do over $200K just in my hometown

The way I achieve that is by coaching my kids, PTO with the schools, Cub Scout Leader, Town Meeting, attending tons of fund raisers, volunteering constantly

I also spend over 5 grand a year in sponsorships, donations, raffles, advertising etc.

I'm top of mind in my town

It spills over into other local communities because people know people

Congratulations to you for being #1 in Lincoln NE on the internet ... it must be 10 times the demographic of my small town

I'm no Scrooge Dave the score card reference is regarding why we are all in this business TO MAKE MONEY AND PROVIDE FOR OUR FAMILIES , and I take at least 3 weeks off with the family while my business runs.

As far as being a businessman , well I guess we view that differently as well.

If your business is only making money when YOU are at the end of a scrub wand well then you my friend have a job.

I know its what you want, but someday that will change by chance or by choice.

THe reason a few of us multi truckers HARP on you is cuz you bang the same drum about internet marketing, networking et al.... yet

You are on Mikeysboard all the time with a business size most of us surpassed I suspect after year 1

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Fred's go it right. As much as I depend on the Internet, if you are local guy you will need more than just that.

It's the eggs in a basket thing again.

Most of my work has been in other areas so the Internet is my best friend.

But if I really wanted to start things up here locally I would hit all the stuff Fred touched on and then some.
All the welcome wagon stuff, networkng groups etc. I went to a booster club meeting last night because my daughter is a vikette and I thought "Gold Mine"

It pays to be in the community when you're in the community.

Good post Freddy

F

FB7777

Thanks Brian, I do get a few jobs each month from the internet... and I imagine could do considerably better.

I get quite a few price shoppers from the web reminds me of the old yellow pages lament ...

I am sure its a very popular way to search for carpet cleaners but the old ways are working well for me ....

us dinosaurs are slow to adapt :mrgreen:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Fred, your website could use a little work. It probably could say "quality" and then you wouldn't get a as many price shoppers.

You too should probably claim your Google Places page. It's showing as "un-Verified".

Even thought you're at the top....only one there really....with an optimized places page it could draw in more quality work.

Do you have a Google account? Jus takes an email address and make up a password.

brianeboatman

I'm new to this site and have to say that I'm disgusted at how you people interact. I think people are here in attempt to better their business, marketing in particular here. Why can't we just give advice, share ideas and move on. I don't understand the bickering!
Wendover, NV

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom