Help me find the right vacuum cleaner

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
So having tested it all and settled on it. Did I advise you truthfully Mikey?

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
Used the hose and horse hair brush for the first time today. Punk rock couple was excited to see that "you have a Kirby too!!"

They paid full price and were bummed that the performance was degrading on their Sentria2.

I looked it over and replaced the belt and bag for them and all was well.

I was a tad disappointed in the suck at the end of the Six foot hose but it's good enough for upholstery.

Very pleased over all. ..Thanks Grant.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Is the shark professional better built then the original shark???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Depends on wear levels. Get a ruler and set the brush roll to 1 and put the steel floor plate back on the head. Lay the ruler across the head and make sure as you turn the brush it contacts the ruler. If it doesn't go to the next number until it does.

Grant

Ron K

all the same Russ, made by Electrolux.

Some have 5 amp motors, some have 7.
Some have cheap plastic fans, some have Lexan fans.
Lots of variations on how to capture the dirt.

But ultimately, unless the world has found a new rubber supply from the planet Xremulak, the premature, cracking, stretching and busting kills the deal.
Try to find "Sanitare" Belts if you're paying .50 a belt you're buying a cheap knock-off.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
It looks like Powr-Flite has quite a few models that look similar to these. I'm pretty sure the belts are going to be the round ones that the Sanitaire uses but I might give it a shot anyway. I like the looks of the 12" model with the shake out bag. I really like the sounds of those Kirbys but I think I'll be better off with the Sanitaire type for now. Maybe I'll get a Kirby when I get a helper in the Spring. I'll keep edging with my vac hose, giving a few minutes for pre spray to dwell, agitate with Grandi Groom, then clean with 360i.

The Clean Machine

Mikey P

Administrator
I was surprised that the suction from the Kirby hose was no better than the Shark's?

I Would have thought having the fan right there works have made it much better..

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Would you guys go with the cloth bag or replaceable paper bag type of these Sanitaire like vacs? Price is the same on the Powr-flite versions. Thanks.

Russ

Mikey P

Administrator
and I don't go for this whole new bag for each job silliness.

Toss it when it's up to the fill line.

Don't use it on piss or stench homes.

but be prepared to get really frustrated with those round belts on that design, they were out REAL quick. In many cases in just one room.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Thanks guys, paper it is. I know what you're saying about the belts. I used an Oreck that was just like this and it wore out pretty quick too. I think it will work well while I'm still alone in the field, until Spring I hope. I'll keep edging with my vac hose from my TM. I've been doing it for years so I'm pretty quick at it. I imagine a lot will change when I get a helper. Let us know how that Kirby works out, they look awesome from that demo video earlier in the thread.

The Clean Machine

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
6u7ymuje.jpg

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I just don't understand why Shark comes out w/ 10 different vacs within a few months? I purchased the double canister white/brown one $200 or less, and now I'm retiring it (waiting on CRB w/ resonators), but one thing I wish some of these vacs would be much easier would be the screws on the bottom can be a pain to remove if they come out at all. Also, if you're used to a bagged vac like a Proteam 1500, you'll probably not like a bagless (or the Shark) because the cup fills way too quickly (where a bag expands), so for every time the cup fills up, would equal to 2-3 cups of a full bag expanded.

I did enjoy the swivel on it, but other than that in my mind it is still an "upgraded" bissell like vac w/ a swivel.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
and I don't go for this whole new bag for each job silliness.

Toss it when it's up to the fill line.

Don't use it on piss or stench homes.

but be prepared to get really frustrated with those round belts on that design, they were out REAL quick. In many cases in just one room.
To each their own. I like to have full performance on each job and not take other people's dry soil into a different custoner's home. Works out O.K. For me leaving the customer with the bag. They can see what we got and retrieve something accidentally collected.

Grant

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
With as much suction as some of the good TM's have, suprised no one has a killer vac powered rotary head for them.

Or is that just dumb?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
http://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=AW36

I think this is what you mean. I've never used one. It seems like a very expensive way to do dry soil removal with the gas you would be burning and wear and tear on your blower. Also, there doesn't seem to be much weight to the head to dig hair and sand out of the carpet but maybe with enough suction, you would get some "dig". You're right though, about the suction, no vac is going to compete with a TM.

Jay_wat

Supportive Member
Name
Jay Watson
http://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=AW36

I think this is what you mean. I've never used one. It seems like a very expensive way to do dry soil removal with the gas you would be burning and wear and tear on your blower. Also, there doesn't seem to be much weight to the head to dig hair and sand out of the carpet but maybe with enough suction, you would get some "dig". You're right though, about the suction, no vac is going to compete with a TM.

Agree!! And I have tried one,, unit I tried was LOUD!!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We use those in the fire division a lot. They just attach it to the HEPA tank vacuum we have on site and they work really well. They also work great with a backpack but a TM is too much cfm in my opinion. The design is good but these are made for low cfm's, I don't believe they would hold up to a tm.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
He has found a vacuum cleaner and that was the purpose if the thread.

Grant

steve_64

paper bags suck! find something that has a cellulose bag. it doesnt plug up as fast and filters better. its such a huge difference imo.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
The bags the Kirby takes these days are a polypropylene fleece. They filter pretty well and maintain performance far longer than their paper counterparts.

Grant

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I'll take my Cleartrak over a Kirby any day. If you can't see it coming out, you're going to be leaving a lot in the carpet and not even know it on quite a few carpets.
I'm waiting for the new version to come out. I've sent him Mike's criteria and he's got my own ideas. It'll be a Workhorse for sure.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
I'll take my Cleartrak over a Kirby any day. If you can't see it coming out, you're going to be leaving a lot in the carpet and not even know it on quite a few carpets.
I'm waiting for the new version to come out. I've sent him Mike's criteria and he's got my own ideas. It'll be a Workhorse for sure.

I'll take a dirty fan over a bagless. No point in me trying to watch the cylinder. Instead I use my ears and the Kirby tells me where the soil is because I can hear it as it impacts the fan.

Grant

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom