Help me find the right vacuum cleaner

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
The boys and I have used it a few times now, I gave it a good floggin on some nylon pile and an Olefin glue down.

Very impressed with how it vibrates the carpet and the ease of use. The drive wheel make it feel like you're cheating.

It really is an incredible piece of equipment.

but damn, does it ever need a bypass hose that's ready to go.

I acknowledge your observations about onboard tools. You're right. It would make your life easier and I too would appreciate the assistance it would offer.

BUT....

It will NEVER happen on the Kirby. To implement the onboard tools would dictate relocation of the pickup fan and substantial revisions to the geometry of the air path.

This would blunt the stellar carpet pickup performance you have now observed.

The Kirby is proof that not all new things are an improvement in terms of how well things work as compared with older and usually simpler devices.

The Kirby is outright crude. It's a 100 year old relic. But 100 years ago housewives did not complain about trivial inconvenience as they do today,

This is why so many Kirbys are virtually given away second hand. Carpet cleaners are however performance sensitive, they have already gone to great lengths to recover soil homeowners don't. The thing to remember is that this notion that "it makes it easier for me" is a homeowner point of view, not really one to be bought into by professionals, tempting for the time and effort savings as it may be.

If you're spending money and tine with high end processes to sell to your customer, you can live with Kirbys being performance cleaners that forsake onboard tools. Just invest in a small shoulder canister for edges or tell your guys "tough it out, you work for me and we work for the customer. They deserve premium service so we'll just live with setting up the Kirby".

Grant

Last edited:

Lefty724

Name
E
I agree with Mikey on not having on board tools. This is why my Kirby, Royal, and Sanitare sit in the garage and are only used for new installations.

If I have to use one of those vacs on a cleaning job, I will either sweep the edges with a broom, or use a backpack/hip vac for the edges.

Mikey P

Administrator
I am fortunate to have plenty of room to carry two types of vacuum cleaners.

We wont be using the Kirby on pet, smoke or grease pit carpets.

Mikey P

Administrator
Pick up this beauty today for the second truck

Used a handful of times.

The latest greatest Kirby..

20131008_185246_zps50da0a87.jpg

20131008_190157_zpsda903af0.jpg

I paid $175

Lefty724

Name
E
Cool Mikey. All this talk and I might have to bust out my old Kirby.

How are you liking the Kirby's so far?

That newest Kirby looks awesome!

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
The Zip brush is really useful for pet hair recovery. You'd use it on upholstery, bedding and car interiors. No need for it on carpet where the deep cleaning head is the tool to beat.

The Kirby Sentria you showed looks great. It is actually one mold behind current model which is Sentria II.

You should make sure both your Kirby machines use the same bag type. Mid way through the Sentria model's life Kirby changed the bag coupler. Sentria a after mid 2009 use F type face plates. All Kirbys prior to this use the twist type. I'd buy a new top adapter for your Sentria if. It is an F Type and make it a twist type. That way you have access to all the aftermarket bags sold cheaply at retail. There are more models that take twist type, so more aftermarket manufacturers offer bags in this format.

Stay with genuine belts though.

Grant

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
The white disposable HEPA polyprop bags are what I use. Sometimes bag sellers call them "synthetic".

Grant

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Okay here is a GREAT VAC demo, I don't think you will find a better vacuum. I will be getting one very soon I recently picked up a old kirby to try it out it is a 1948 yeah thats right a 1948 kirby it is so clean I may see if a collector may want it, but it is very similar to the Royal in its design. The newer Kirby's have a plastic fan where this one is all metal. They produce amazing airflow and even though mine is ONLY a 3 amp motor its airflow blows away my 12 amp vacuum. They also beat the carpet more like a pile lifter
IMG_20131010_202854_194_zpsf361cf31.jpg
Here is a great vacuum demo on the newer Royals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGMrZZaTRSE
Look at how well it agitates the carpet later in the video just amazing really.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Anyone done a side-by-side with Royal and Kirby?
Thats what I'm looking for I have searched everywhere on the net but can't find one. If I get my Royal before MF 10 I will bring it down and we can do a shoot out against Mikey's newer Kirby

Ron K

Shark has a new Vacuum out so we have to start this allllll oooovvvveeerrr again.

Ron K

The BEST vacuum is the one that gets used. I do wonder why these Royal's and Kirby's look so new at 20-30 years old and I have to think that people buy these, or are SOLD them and then the people find out what a pain in the ass, back, and neck they are.

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I think we each have to find the best way for each of us to be the most profitable as we can. That's business. There are profitable companies that never prevac and profitable companies that always do. I didn't realize the importance until I started doing in all my residential situations. Apartment move outs are a decent market for us as well so price is a big factor for the tenant moving out. In these cases, we request they vacuum or there will be a vacuum charge. In our residential market we are becoming MUCH better cleaners with the addition of always pre vacuuming and almost always using a 360i. I'm actually excited to give one of these Kirby's a try. If they are that much better, we will adjust.

The Clean Machine

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
You are bang on right in that a machine that will see regular use is best. Remember that these metal machines are highly serviceable, durable and can be restored to like new condition with metal polish.

Grant

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom