Help me find the right vacuum cleaner

Name
Steve Lawrence
I think my Sanitaires clean better than any of the 5 Kirby's I've owned. BUt they are built cheaply and easy to break parts on them. They are nice and light though. Kirby's are too big, too heavy and either type of bag is a nuisance.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
The problem with the belt is that it is a round conventional rubber belt. It quickly fatigues showing signs of stretching, cracking and deterioration in a short space of time. Kirby belts by contrast are flat, have a knurled tread on the friction surface and are made of synthetic material.

Grant

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Belt is definitely the weak point on Sanitairs but I can live with it. I simply ordered a 50 pack and change them often, like every 2 weeks or so. They are cheap and only take about 10 seconds to change.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk now Free

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
The Sanitare is a good cleaner. Solid dependable performance. Another example of why fan first designs are best for carpet pickup.

If you can live with the belt replacement issue, stick with it.

Grant

Lefty724

Name
E
I have and still use a Sanitare. I will only use the vacuum for brand new carpet and always keep fresh belts around the handle.

When I was using it for everyday cleaning, it would chew through belts like a mofo!

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
So how many bags have you thrown out now Mikey?

How are you finding it?

Grant

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Those Sanitaires look to be almost identical to a Eureka available at Sams Club and Oreck makes one really similar. One of the vacuum parts places on line says most of the parts are interchangeable. I may give the Eureka a try for $149. There is a slightly more expensive version (yellow) with a permanent bag that you shake out. Would you go with the bagged or permanent bag version with all other things being equal? Oh, they only weigh like 12 or 14 pounds too which is great. Thanks!

The Clean Machine

Mikey P

Administrator
all the same Russ, made by Electrolux.

Some have 5 amp motors, some have 7.
Some have cheap plastic fans, some have Lexan fans.
Lots of variations on how to capture the dirt.

But ultimately, unless the world has found a new rubber supply from the planet Xremulak, the premature, cracking, stretching and busting kills the deal.

Reactions: Russ T.

Lefty724

Name
E
I must say, ever since this thread I have busted out the Royal commercial vacuum and hand been very impressed!

From what was told about the Sanitares, the way the belt is designed/placed, all the dirty coming in gets to hit the belt. So basically your belt is being sand blasted every time you vacuum.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Telling you that the shark rotator for the price is a good little vacuum and pretty durable

Last edited by a moderator:

Darin

I like my shark rotator professional lift away.

Sent from my HTC6435LRA using Tapatalk

Mikey P

Administrator
Sharks are great, the belt motor goes at 5 months and the new hose in the handle is almost worthless but I can't find and "attachment" vac any better, regardless of price.

Now that we're using the Kirby for open spaces I'll be getting lots more life from the Sharkies.

Darin

Had mine about a year with no problems at all other that looking a little worse for wear

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Are there any of the Sanitaire type that have addressed the issue with the belt by going to more if a flat style with teeth or something?

The Clean Machine

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
It's the shape of the drive and roller pulleys that dictate the shape of the belt. The belt will need to be round, but you may find a neoprene belt instead of rubber.

Grant

Reactions: Russ T.

Darin

Wand pulls from the handle and it did pretty good.

Reactions: Derek

Mikey P

Administrator
Have to say..

We're all real happy with this combination...

20131023_114232_zps2511ea27.jpg

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
we checked out the Shark's last night at Kohl's. the white/red Rotator 3 in 1 vac was the only 1 we would get, the vac port in the cleaning head was in the center instead of on the right or left, which that Youtube vid pointed out as a good thing. but these Shark vac's have such a narrow head. that must be 1 reason why they have better suction? looks at least 2 inches narrower. fine for resi but for CGD it just means more strokes for the missus. the dustcup is smaller than the Dyson DC07 as well...which means more stopping & trips to empty it.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i saw that, great idea! i'm sure she'll send out a thank you card Fred :p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom