Zapotec Rug Cleaning

Name
Eric
Hey guys,
I picked up some Navajo and Zapotec rugs at a thrift store awhile back and most were pretty dirty. I'm going to give cleaning the Zapotec rugs a shot and decided to video it since there isn't a ton of info about Navajo/Zapotec rugs on this board. I'm pretty green at rug cleaning and have never taken a rug cleaning class so any suggestions are appreciated. This little rug wasn't very dirty but I have a 4x6 Zapotec as well that has a weird residue on it that I'd like to get off. I'm using the little rug in the video as practice.
Process was to dust with compressed air (no video), vacuum, checked for bleeding (got a little bit), Encap Green prespray, and cold acid rinse. Rug turned out good and there wasn't any bleeding luckily. For the bigger rug I plan on getting a lower PH upholstery prespray and sponging it on. It is predominantly purple and red and I'm worried about bleeding.

Name
Eric
This one is up next.

86129130-DE4F-46B4-99A2-88B8238DEB93.jpeg

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Hey guys,
I picked up some Navajo and Zapotec rugs at a thrift store awhile back and most were pretty dirty. I'm going to give cleaning the Zapotec rugs a shot and decided to video it since there isn't a ton of info about Navajo/Zapotec rugs on this board. I'm pretty green at rug cleaning and have never taken a rug cleaning class so any suggestions are appreciated. This little rug wasn't very dirty but I have a 4x6 Zapotec as well that has a weird residue on it that I'd like to get off. I'm using the little rug in the video as practice.
Process was to dust with compressed air (no video), vacuum, checked for bleeding (got a little bit), Encap Green prespray, and cold acid rinse. Rug turned out good and there wasn't any bleeding luckily. For the bigger rug I plan on getting a lower PH upholstery prespray and sponging it on. It is predominantly purple and red and I'm worried about bleeding.

If that is truly a Navajo rug that could be worth some big bucks.

Reactions: Cleanworks
Name
Eric
Both the rug in the video and the red rug in the pic are Zapotec. From what I’ve found out they’re not worth too much. I do have 4 or 5 Navajos that I got at the same place. I’ll post some pics later.

Reactions: Nomad74

Tom Forsythe

I would double check the value of what you have pictured. The natural colored pieces appear to have more value than you have been told. I have always undervalued what I have seen in the past once you compare what you have seen priced in the marketplace.

Name
Eric
I would double check the value of what you have pictured. The natural colored pieces appear to have more value than you have been told. I have always undervalued what I have seen in the past once you compare what you have seen priced in the marketplace.
Thanks Tom. I'll get a second opinion if I ever decide to sell them. Unfortunately most of them have some kind of damage on them. Nothing too bad though.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
It was a unique experience holding a first phase chief's blanket like pictured in the video above and getting to see some of the unique 6 and 7 figure valued textiles that Robert has has the privilege of cleaning. It was a bit overwhelming knowing you are holding something more valuable than the building and house you own combined. :yoda:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom