who sells oriental rugs

bill luke

morning,who on here sells oriental and area rugs;I have some showroom space available,and thought of selling some rugs.where to buy,and what to buy are to starting points,i will not get overloaded with inventory,but do want hand tied rugs,no orian .. thanks,

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
I've got a buddy that is living in Thailand. I've been having him search for rugs over there. Seeing if it might be profitable getting rugs shipped from there and reselling here. Update as I figure out if it is feasible.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
before you "invest" in rugs-- know how to ID them 1st-- and know what sells in your area.
A Persian friend of mine brought back a few rugs from Iran to sell--- He gave up-- In SF you cant give away Persian rugs-- the people here prefer contemporary design rugs. hand knotted rugs are a steal at estate sales.
One lady had imported a bunch of tufted rugs from India thinking she was going to make a boat load of money. she wanted me to clean them first to get the odor out. I told her Sorry-- the glue used in the rugs was defective and was Off gassing and it will only get worst-- these rugs were cheap to buy because Pottery barn had cancelled the order due to customer complaints-- she basically bought someone else's problem.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Area rugs are increasing in popularity as people move to hard surface floors but we are getting a lot hard to clean styles. Viscose, shag, noodle rugs, sisal, etc.

Reactions: Mikey P

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
You may have a rug dealer that will place rugs in your location on consignment. Investing your own money in rugs can be tricky. The worth of rugs is hard to determine. In the end it is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. In general, not a lot of people appreciate rugs, so the market priced has been down for several years. More rugs are being sold, but they are mostly machine made.

I have an acquaintance who is a large importer of rugs. His warehouse holds tens of thousands. He has sold me rugs at very good prices, but I cannot make assurances anyone else would be get great deals. Zia at Herat Oriental 703 370-3902 if you wish to contact him.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Rug Summit 10 will be having a panel discussion on what is trending in rug sales for the rug washer to know what is coming. There will be a number of business owners there that have galleries across the country that will be participating. Naturally, Hagopian would have something to say about the Greater Metro Detroit Area. In fact, Thursday night's social event for attendees is being held at their rug gallery in Novi Michigan found at the 12 Oaks Mall. Only registrants may attend this private party. The hotel of preference to stay during Rug Summit is right next door.

www.rugsummit.comIs where to sign up. The education could say you a lot of misery from making poor uninformed decisions.

bill luke

thanks all.i talked to a wholesaler in Atlanta,he can sell at a good price,maybe.trending in hand tied is afgan tribal,but really plain in design and muted,light,beige colors.he even says that cleaning is the ticket,and he can offer repair for me;i may find some on craigslist,estate sales,and such.see how that goes...and matt,i clean my own rugs,don't know abut the emails..so thanks,see you at the experience vegas

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Could you give some info of who you are and where you live?
Stand alone Rug Galleries are struggling and traditional rug sales are declining.

Reactions: T Monahan

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Rug sales across the nation are down. There is a flood of rugs out for resale because LOTS of people are down-sizing, trying to sell their old rugs (most end up giving them away), and the new trends and tastes are not "traditional." You also have a huge influx of synthetic, machine loomed rugs that are less to buy than that cost to have them cleaned. It's flatlining rugs prices, and it will be interesting to see what happens because it's been a drastic shift in a short period of time. Then you have design houses (Stark, Kravet, etc.) selling garbage rugs for thousands, and angry customers when they find out that they have been duped. It's a tough market to crack, and I would not carry any inventory of rugs in this market personally. Maybe be the in-between handling rugs for resale and take a piece. And sell pads. =)

Mikey P

Administrator
Any chance that the new wave of porcelain and LVT floors that are so nice to look at and maintain, that home owners don't want to hide them under rugs?

Personally, I put some rugs in storage cause I was tired of cleaning up after our old blind dog

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom