Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
What does it matter, to you?

'cause I still have butyl in my veins!!

If this is your idea...g'luck.
If it's someone else idea, don't invest more than you can afford to lose

Paul's idea of a franchise is a FAR more workable reality to accomplish the goals you have in mind

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Swani
So what if by joining (and contributing) as an O/O, you got complete training in every facet of running a cleaning business (biz and tech) including optional ongoing education, apprenticship programs, a pension, scholarships, furlough assistance, group buys on most every type of insurance, other retirement saving opportunies and many more benefits that the one truck dude in a truck rarely achives..

Do you thnk that would appeal to new multi surface technician?

Compared to some silly classes, the school of hard knocks, work 30 to 40 years, sell your biz for 40K if you're lucky and then rely on social security and a part time job?
I spent 21 years in unions. I'm not saying this couldn't work. I just don't see how it could work.

In my experience unions do the bargaining and help negotiate the benefits you listed, but it's the employer and the members that pay into these benefits.

Who are you defining as the employer and who is the member?

Unions are a great thing in the right settings, but they have their Con's also.

I agree 100% that we need some type of standardized education, but I'm not sure this is your answer.

But...I also thought that texting, YouTube, and Facebook were all dumb ideas and look how that turned out.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Never mind that every Janitor is already part of some union. Just what an owner operator needs is some governing body dictating more rules and pricing to them . Mike, what's wrong with you! were you just bored and wanted to stir up some nonsense?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'm at that age where if that happened, I would just retire. :very_drunk:

I grew up in the Detroit area and got to see auto unions from both sides, members and employers. I certainly wouldn't want a union telling me what we can or can't do with our employees. For example, it is VERY hard to terminate someone, even with documented cause!
In Detroit you can get them knocked off cheaper.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
So what if by joining (and contributing) as an O/O, you got complete training in every facet of running a cleaning business (biz and tech) including optional ongoing education, apprenticship programs, a pension, scholarships, furlough assistance, group buys on most every type of insurance, other retirement saving opportunies and many more benefits that the one truck dude in a truck rarely achives..

Do you thnk that would appeal to new multi surface technician?

Compared to some silly classes, the school of hard knocks, work 30 to 40 years, sell your biz for 40K if you're lucky and then rely on social security and a part time job?
Someone sucks hard at business if that's all they got.

Have Fred B do a investor class Damons getting fat stacks!

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Had a sub years ago when we were running 200 sub said we need to unionize.

He was hoping to collect the dues

SamIam

Name
sam miller
How many here are going to retire at 62ish and not have to get a side gig?

Sam?
Can and are, are two different things.

Saigers could cash out and live in Florida cheap.

A lot of it depends on how you live.

I'm down to 3 days a week.

And yes until I get Medicare I'll probably still work.

But that's because I'm physically able.

Gets me out of the house.

Your claim was have nothing but a business worth $30-40 k

If that's all guys have that would suck.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinL and BIG WOOD

Brian H

Name
Brian H
How many here are going to retire at 62ish and not have to get a side gig?

Sam?
That would have been 3 years ago for me. I am thinking about a side gig though when I do finally retire. It's more for something to do though. After the first few weeks of retirement, I think I would go stir crazy with nothing to do.

Mikey P

Administrator
That would have been 3 years ago for me. I am thinking about a side gig though when I do finally retire. It's more for something to do though. After the first few weeks of retirement, I think I would go stir crazy with nothing to do.

Weeks?

Minutes for me

I have to have my time consumed with purposeful endeavours.

Reactions: KevinL and SamIam

SamIam

Name
sam miller
How do you know that?

What if they have 200 or 300k, can you retire on that?
Because his mom mobile home is paid for, and all he has is a lot fee and utilities.

Plus if he was a band teacher he might have a little pension there.

Plus soap sales 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinL and Mikey P

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Technically I could buy a couple acres and a house cash in Tennessee or Kentucky.

Work a part time gig at home Depot
Weeks?

Minutes for me

I have to have my time consumed with purposeful endeavours.
See and staying busy and supplementing retirement isn't bad.

Ps I'm banking on my wife being better off then me someday too.

Lol

It's the best laid plans of mice and men.

Reactions: Mikey P

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
What is retirement?? The Bible only mentions it briefly by the way in Numbers. It doesn’t suggest we should retire anywhere else. Retirement means not having to grind daily and still do whatever you want or enjoy.

Reactions: KevinD and SamIam

SamIam

Name
sam miller
What is retirement?? The Bible only mentions it briefly by the way in Numbers. It doesn’t suggest we should retire anywhere else. Retirement means not having to grind daily and still do whatever you want or enjoy.
It means when your old your kids take on the family responsibilities.

I just hope I'm not to grumpy like Marty.

I don't want people not to like me!

Joking

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

SamIam

Name
sam miller
So a union of carpet cleaners?

Pricing structures, retirement account.

Group purchasing power, certified training.

All under a group name?

Will the Stanley ,chemdrys , coits of the world have to hire union workers to perform the services?

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
A smart successful O/O can do all this on his own.
What you are suggesting is giving power to another entity to control your business so you can have these benefits.

A Union would be like having a Boss. Most O/O are too independent (Pig headed) to be hired by anyone as an employee. A union for most cleaners would be an epic fail.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom