Unionized.

FredC

Village Idiot
Who are you negotiating with Mike? If you just mean getting together and charging "union wages" that's called price fixing. You can find articles about it on the FTC website

Most of the guys here are owner-ops or employers. You might be able to start organising at one of the larger employers but between there being so few in any one company/franchise, state differences, etc it is unlikely. Maybe ask on the Stanley employees group...

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
How many of you would like a traditional Union for us cleaners?

I presume you mean a "guild" not a union?
(I hope)

Unlike unions that focus on bargaining between workers and owners, guilds primarily facilitate negotiations between their own members. These negotiations can be used to set standards for things like general best practices, quality, safety requirements, standard rates, and professional certification.

..L.T.A.

Reactions: kmdineen

FredC

Village Idiot
OK then explain how the carpet cleaners here would be a part of a union

Mikey P

Administrator
Employees or single owners, with a typical apprentice, journeyman, master path.
Typical benefits, which for most people, are terrific.

Certainly not for those who are already established.

Ill reserve further comments until I've met with the Union I have in mind next month

FredC

Village Idiot
who is going to pay into those benefits

In a union the employer does at an amount negotiated between the union and the employer (s)...."dues" are for the administration of the union

the benefits are part of the overall wage paid to union members on union jobs ............so who is paying for them? Where will the union jobs be found for a "single owner"

how do you plan to organize employed cleaners in the face of resistance from large companies?

*typical benefits* are higher wage/insurance, harder to fire, specific work times and time off, mediation, future contract negotiations, etc....how does that apply to a single owner? I could see if you got stanley employees to organize or something but...

And how to I get on these union carpet jobs to complete my traditional training?

Last edited:
Reactions: Papa John

Mikey P

Administrator
So what if by joining (and contributing) as an O/O, you got complete training in every facet of running a cleaning business (biz and tech) including optional ongoing education, apprenticship programs, a pension, scholarships, furlough assistance, group buys on most every type of insurance, other retirement saving opportunies and many more benefits that the one truck dude in a truck rarely achives..

Do you thnk that would appeal to new multi surface technician?

Compared to some silly classes, the school of hard knocks, work 30 to 40 years, sell your biz for 40K if you're lucky and then rely on social security and a part time job?

Reactions: BIG WOOD

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
So what if by joining (and contributing) as an O/O, you got complete training in every facet of running a cleaning business (biz and tech) including optional ongoing education, apprenticship programs, a pension, scholarships, furlough assistance, group buys on most every type of insurance, other retirement saving opportunies and many more benefits that the one truck dude in a truck rarely achives..

Compared to some silly classes, the school of hard knocks, work 30 to 40 years, sell your biz for 40K if you're lucky and then rely on social security and a part time job?
how can an O/O get furlough assistance?

Rob Grady

Name
Rob Grady
Many building trades focused companies are organized under LIUNA. Janitorial staff are paid decent wages, benefits and can look forward to a decent pension when they retire.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

Just think down the road about 20 years from now if this idea succeeded.

Let's say most of the cc companies are unionized and all of the employees are members. It's time to go on strike because the employees are tired to being heavily pressured to upsell, upsell, upsell on top of cleaning 7jobs/ day and these companies go to a halt.
All of a sudden, you start seeing the owners getting in the truck and getting back on the route, but it doesn't last long. Why? because their fat asses pass out because they can't swing a wand with that big monster stomach in the way!
R.I.P.
:idiot::yawn::stir:😅

Is that how unions work?

Dr. Kleen

Name
Jodi Fandozzi

No

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Damon Williams made the best comment on your fb post
"
Mikey, you may or may not recall, but I accompanied you to the Tuscany Grill on S Eastern with Robert Falzone, and I can't remember who else, to have dinner with IICRC CEO Michael Dakduk.
Anyway, I don't think 'union' is the correct term unless you're wanting techs to collectively bargain wages and benefits.
Maybe guild or association would be more apt assuming it's retirement and health benefits that you're advocating as I was then.
"I asked him pointedly at the dinner why the IICRC doesn't have a benefits or retirement plans in place for its members. This would, as I brought up, spark a lot of interest in the IICRC and almost certainly increase membership.
He said that he'd look into it. This was 2020 maybe

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Those auto workers made out real well. They went out on strike and settled then the companies laid off half of them.

Reactions: KevinL

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Seems like a great way to get all the StinkySteemer and ZeroFuzz employees fired. Then all the owner operators can undercut the union drones and put them out of business. I say go for it.

Last edited:

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Ill reserve further comments until I've met with the Union I have in mind next month
UAW's Shawn Fain?

I still don't understand how you think a union will work in this business. Our boss is the customer and ALL carpet cleaning companies would have to go on strike to have any impact. I would bet that there aren't many customers who would go out of their way to use a union company vs non union. Even if somehow you were able to organize most cleaners, there will always be plenty of non-union options for the customers to use.

The IICRC could have been a type of organization that heavily advocated reasons for customers to use their members, but it isn't. Nor would the members want to pay the amount of money in dues, etc. that it would take to be relevant. Personally I would rather spend the money on my own advertising. Besides, why would I want to spend my money to help promote other cleaners?

You can talk about unionizing all you want, it will never happen.

FredC

Village Idiot
I think Brian is scared you’re going to organize team purple. :D

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I think Brian is scared you’re going to organize team purple. :D
I'm at that age where if that happened, I would just retire. :very_drunk:

I grew up in the Detroit area and got to see auto unions from both sides, members and employers. I certainly wouldn't want a union telling me what we can or can't do with our employees. For example, it is VERY hard to terminate someone, even with documented cause!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom