To groom or not to groom?

TimP

Brian Robison said:
[quote="Brian Robison":w0wcm2bx]Can't we all just get along?

Is the carpet cleaner when you groom?
That is the real question.

No answers yet?[/quote:w0wcm2bx]

That's what I was getting at above but some people groom just to think they are better than other cleaners who don't. It doesn't do anything as far as cleaning the carpet. It's all for show. I do agree that it makes the carpet look good but at what cost? I'd rather not charge my customers for unnecessary services.

CleanEvo

[/quote] P.S. don't you people work on Sat?[/quote]

Why would we want to work on Saturday?

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
P.S. don't you people work on Sat?[/quote]

Why would we want to work on Saturday?[/quote]

:shock: Sat is my busiest day, I've never heard of a carpet cleaning co. that didn't work on sat. Plus many people are off work
and want weekend opointments.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
dealtimeman said:
so what do you guys that think "grooming has to be done" do when the custy asks you for their triangles? :?

Well... If they want triangles then leave the triangles but it's sure not good to do on every job.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Brian Robison said:
[quote="Brian Robison":l1d2gyqm]Can't we all just get along?

No answers yet?[/quote:l1d2gyqm]

I believe I may ask this questions until a "groomer" responds.
And yes, I know I can be an annoying ass so I'm sorry.
But this, I believe is what it comes down to.

I know, I know...I have always said "Image is everything" and it still is...I think triangles are a good image if done right.
Swirlys or straight line would warrant a grooming but it still doesn't make the carpet cleaner...It's just the appearance.
But the triangles give the "appearance" of clean as well.

With a double overlap, I believe that is as good as grooming.

Name
I'm Rick James
Brian Robison said:
[quote="Brian Robison":zbypht2g][quote="Brian Robison":zbypht2g]Can't we all just get along?

No answers yet?[/quote:zbypht2g]

I believe I may ask this questions until a "groomer" responds.
And yes, I know I can be an annoying ass so I'm sorry.
But this, I believe is what it comes down to.

I know, I know...I have always said "Image is everything" and it still is...I think triangles are a good image if done right.
Swirlys or straight line would warrant a grooming but it still doesn't make the carpet cleaner...It's just the appearance.
But the triangles give the "appearance" of clean as well.

With a double overlap, I believe that is as good as grooming.[/quote:zbypht2g]

I think this is the first time I have seen someone quote themself twice.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
What do I win?

I am not only a post whore but I am also an attention whore.

I don't mean to be, it just happens.
I have way too much to say and yet only have something to say every once in a while.
:?

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen

:roll: I think I already answered this question. Yes sometimes the carpet is Cleaner when you groom IF YOUVE MISSED ANY SPOT DURING THE INITIAL CLEANING! When you go over it with the rake you can see those spots, Not all the time but, it's worth it to groom it. Is that so hard to comprehend?

Mr.V

"That's what I was getting at above but some people groom just to think they are better than other cleaners who don't. It doesn't do anything as far as cleaning the carpet. It's all for show. I do agree that it makes the carpet look good but at what cost? I'd rather not charge my customers for unnecessary services.[/quote]"

No offense but,,,,,,,,,,,,what does it cost to groom a carpet????

5-15 minutes of time???

Does anyone actually charge for grooming?

Name
I'm Rick James
Raking does move the fibers in a upward position to help with dry times and give a uniform look. The triangles show more of a nap contrast which makes the carpet appear cleaner. When you first see the triangles you see the bright upward stroke and that gives a good first impression to the customers. When you groom the carpets it makes the carpet overall brighter and takes away from that contrast of the triangles. I groom the carpets to add value and make sure all is good with the cleaning. If you protect, then you need to groom the carpets. Who wants to see your footprints. Clean carpets is like a work of art.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
everfresh1 said:

:roll: I think I already answered this question. Yes sometimes the carpet is Cleaner when you groom IF YOUVE MISSED ANY SPOT DURING THE INITIAL CLEANING! When you go over it with the rake you can see those spots, Not all the time but, it's worth it to groom it. Is that so hard to comprehend?

That's a load of crap.
Ok, let me rephrase the question.

If you clean a carpet CORRECTLY, does grooming make it cleaner?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Brent said:
Raking does move the fibers in a upward position to help with dry times and give a uniform look. The triangles show more of a nap contrast which makes the carpet appear cleaner. When you first see the triangles you see the bright upward stroke and that gives a good first impression to the customers. When you groom the carpets it makes the carpet overall brighter and takes away from that contrast of the triangles. I groom the carpets to add value and make sure all is good with the cleaning. If you protect, then you need to groom the carpets. Who wants to see your footprints. Clean carpets is like a work of art.

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/ ... effect-wav

G

5k last week from property manager that wanted triangles; or Christmas Trees as I refer to them; anyway we do a glided wand stroke after powerwand cleaning; Protector we just groon back some triangles!!

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
Brian Robison said:
everfresh1 said:

That's a load of crap.

I thought you were an owner not a tech, Stick to being a owner. :wink:

To groom or not really depends on the customer, style of carpet, and how much they are paying. I had to clean a 4000 sq ft home this morning and there is no way I was going to rake all that carpet by myslelf. Now if I had a helper with with me this morning I would have had my helper rake. Same applies with vacuuming. Do I really want to vacuum 2,000 sq ft of carpet, clean it, and rake it by myself? Unless I am making really good money of course not. Same scenario with a helper and you could have the helper vac and prespray followed up by a good grooming. That is another debate altogether. I am however a firm believer having a helper at every job makes for more productive cleaning. This just happened to be a last minute Sunday morning cleaning.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I used to leave bullet shapes, not triangles. When I was first taught, the guy explained that triangular strokes will miss areas. He showed me to use a straight back, straight up with a slip to the side at the top.
I still use this same pattern but I've modified it to slip over on the bottom of the stroke rather than the top, then come back over it with dry passes in reverse. Leaves the carpet pulled all one way with minimal wand marks.

The only time I groom is to work in protectant (ie, there is a functional purpose) or
the wand marks that are left just don't fit the room, ie groom it out for appearance. Did that last Tuesday, 1000sf hotel room, all open, nice plush green carpet, looked much better after it was groomed.

Are you a hack if you don't groom? Nah, the final grooming is probably the least important step you can add.
Protector should be groomed in for the same reason prespray should be groomed in, to make sure you give it full contact with the fibres.
Make a swirl pattern with your grooming brush, be different 8)

Chris A

Name
Chris
Brian Robison said:
everfresh1 said:

That's a load of crap.

It's not hard to miss a little grease spot or residue from a urine spot during normal cleaning, I also use grooming as a final quality check. Whaddoyou know about carpet cleaning anyway Huggy Bear? <edit-Pimp reference> :lol:

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I groom when protector is applied. My pattern after rinsing is to go over the area with another dry stroke up and back to give it a "groomed look", look for any imperfections and pickup any more moisture left. No I do not diamond pattern it, but it looks uniform and groomed. Yes I am somewhat hackish cuz I never learned the diamond pattern. :roll:

TimP

Mr.V said:
"That's what I was getting at above but some people groom just to think they are better than other cleaners who don't. It doesn't do anything as far as cleaning the carpet. It's all for show. I do agree that it makes the carpet look good but at what cost? I'd rather not charge my customers for unnecessary services.
"

No offense but,,,,,,,,,,,,what does it cost to groom a carpet????

5-15 minutes of time???

Does anyone actually charge for grooming?[/quote]

Time is money. 15 minutes is equal to 25 bucks at 100 an hour....5 minutes is equal to 8 bucks. It's your time and money you're losing not mine so groom if you like.

BTW no offense taken. I really don't care if you think I'm a hack or what not just because I don't groom. I stand by grooming is a waste of time, you stand by grooming is the greatest thing since sliced bread. So what's the big deal?

Mr.V

never said you were a hack,,,,,,and quite honestly I don't groom that often...........usually only when applying S/G or moving furniture.

I've always found it easier to vacuum out wand strokes than the corn rows a grandi groomer leaves

TimP

Steve in Omaha said:
I stand by grooming is a waste of time,

hey Tim,

Aren't you the guy that is lamenting on occasion that his funds are a bit short?

Yeah I do, grooming don't have anything to do with it. I think I do quite well for the population that I work for. Especially with 3 other cleaners that also work here. The problem is starting out buying a TM and leasing it from interlink financial, biggest mistake I made in my business, it's very draining. BTW if I charged what Mikey charged I'd be doing around 140,000 in business.

Keep in mind I groomed for probably a year and a half running an Rx-20 all the time till a couple of months after I got my greenhorn. I've done it both ways. And people wont pay me any more even if I groomed, I'm at the top of the pricing here. Now if I got paid what you city slickers got paid I just might groom to make myself feel better about what I charged, thats what all this value talk above is about. But I wouldn't say it did jack squat other than make the carpet look uniform when you leave. It don't show stains any different, and it sure don't dry the carpet any faster.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I admit I don't groom a whole lot of carpets these days, when my son is helping during the summers more carpets get groomed :lol: to me a well worn nylon looks worse right after its cleaned if you groom it, however after it dries I think it looks better raked even being well worn, I like how stairs looks when you rake the risers and the tops and it dries. I always rake if I apply protector. it really just depends on the job and the carpet

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I just found that after spending so much time setting up furn to be moved , vacuuming , prespray and groom , steam cleaning , and replace furn/tidy up, unless I'm applying protector the grooming usually isn't justified.

I like the pattern of the holed glide as well.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
Loren Egland said:
I groomed triangles in an empty house today. Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks? I might even groom triangles again someday. :eek:

:roll: Congratulations!!

Name
Eric Valentine
PIC-0165.jpg

Back
Top Bottom