TM selection from a Porty

bmxin

Name
dayvaad
I'm a porty operator (AirHog mated to Solus, or Speedster) and have looked at a few Truckmounts. Just looking for some real operator experiences with the following and hopefully my newbie comments can bring some thought.
1.) HydraBoxxer 421 (hr gauge turned over 10khrs) this unit is more for the sale of E350 van which has 65kmiles. Out of 2year storage it started right up Vacuum left something to be desired barely @12" Mercury Portable setup with airhog gets over 14"/300cfm

2.) Blueline Cobalt with 2800hrs like the E350 this one is a nice low miles van don't know about this machine except everyone says obsolete for parts because they're not in biz

*3.) TCS Chief II. I've decided a bank loan for this and would go ahead except the two mentioned above would be straight Cash.
I've heard these having very good power and easy maintenance with parts/repair being minimal for little giant heater. The operator who's selling says it's right there if not better than Prochem Peak.
I've had a few others I've looked at but for price/van condition have narrowed to these three. I mostly do hard floor/refinish so can see the need for Extended Van, while cramped I think fitting a sander, 175, and Dust extractor in regular size van is possible.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I’d choose the cobalt

Almost every part looks generic except the temp control valve, engine muffler, and heat exchanger which I think steam brite has that. And the 185f Temp control valve can be taken off if it’s messed up.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I would agree with Fred. The TCS will be simple to work on and I'm gathering that it's a lot newer. If that unit has the 4ht heater, you won't lack for heat, even using a spinner on tiles. Just make sure that the heater is a high pressure one.

Reactions: hogjowl and bmxin

bmxin

Name
dayvaad
I would agree with Fred. The TCS will be simple to work on and I'm gathering that it's a lot newer. If that unit has the 4ht heater, you won't lack for heat, even using a spinner on tiles. Just make sure that the heater is a high pressure one.
TCS Chief II does have 4ht @1300psi. Supposedly "dual wand" but from reading these boards true dual is 2 trucks. Or maybe one of those 147hp Nissan in Everest🙄
The local JonDon did say they could work on Cobalt but the 47blower on TCS is significant and definitely moreso than Boxxer. To be fair to all the Boxxer operators the one I looked at was 2yrs in storage so probably needed adjustments.
I believe Adam started on a Cobalt?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
TCS Chief II does have 4ht @1300psi. Supposedly "dual wand" but from reading these boards true dual is 2 trucks. Or maybe one of those 147hp Nissan in Everest🙄
The local JonDon did say they could work on Cobalt but the 47blower on TCS is significant and definitely moreso than Boxxer. To be fair to all the Boxxer operators the one I looked at was 2yrs in storage so probably needed adjustments.
I believe Adam started on a Cobalt?
A 47 blower is powerful but not really dual wand capable. The high pressure 4ht heater will give you incredible heat. Easy to find people to work on that machine from carpet cleaning distributors to small engine mechanics or pressure was mechanics. Lots of help available if needed. From what I hear, they are well built units to begin with. Just make sure it was never frozen. Test run it, look for leaks.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Running propane is a pain, and yes I’ve run it and it gets hot. Of the three you mentioned, all things considered the Chief would be the best for sure. But keeping propane is a pain.

Reactions: Walrus Gumboot

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I would take the TCS unit.

even with it being propane heat

Edit:
I think you'll have more vac, definitely more heat, and those things are crazy easy to work on.

Edit 2: Yes I have experience using and maintaining TCS units
I looked up the specs on both the cobalt and the chief II and the CFM of the chief is 120+ over the cobalt.

I didn't know it was that much of a difference. BUT... I still wouldn't get a TCS. I'd wait it out for a bigger heat exchanger truckmount. One will pop up soon. buying 2 fuels just doesn't make sense and it's a waste of money for the today's technology on heat exchangers.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
And if I were you in your location, and was in the market for a used truckmount...I'd look for one down south. Who knows what kind of freeze damage could've happened on that machine or how rusted up that van is from salt. Much less of a risk down here in the south. I know it's more of a pain, but a plane ticket and a night in a hotel might save you in the long run

bmxin

Name
dayvaad
That Cobalt has to a dinosaur on it's own. How old is that unit?

I like the cash idea but in this case why buy other people's problems. I'd get the newest you can afford or keep saving for a new one you want.
The Cobalt is a 2010 in a 2004 Chevy van. This setup was used April-Oct in Pennsylvania and stored the rest. 2800hr/machine. 85k/van. It's really solid.
TCS ChiefII: is from Tennessee in a 15' E-150(supposedly same payload as E250?? 145kmiles. Machine has 500hrs same w/Little giant. There are two convenient propane tanks recessed mounted on back underside. I'm not sure on the consumption of fuel rate but all the stations around here have multiple propane stations.

One thing that is consistent and BlueBaron(*they have HX aftermarket that work*)has made a business out of it is the air cooled slide-ins HX subpar heating. Maybe he's biased but the TCS seller had a Prochem blazer gt and was only getting 185-190 whereas now regardless of holding tank temp within 3mins it's 200+
There are units in eBay (Prochem peak) that have been @$22k since last September but they have higher hrs/van miles then all mentioned.
I was planning on flying as that's apart of getting something dependable...

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The Cobalt is a 2010 in a 2004 Chevy van. This setup was used April-Oct in Pennsylvania and stored the rest. 2800hr/machine. 85k/van. It's really solid.
TCS ChiefII: is from Tennessee in a 15' E-150(supposedly same payload as E250?? 145kmiles. Machine has 500hrs same w/Little giant. There are two convenient propane tanks recessed mounted on back underside. I'm not sure on the consumption of fuel rate but all the stations around here have multiple propane stations.

One thing that is consistent and BlueBaron(*they have HX aftermarket that work*)has made a business out of it is the air cooled slide-ins HX subpar heating. Maybe he's biased but the TCS seller had a Prochem blazer gt and was only getting 185-190 whereas now regardless of holding tank temp within 3mins it's 200+
There are units in eBay (Prochem peak) that have been @$22k since last September but they have higher hrs/van miles then all mentioned.
I was planning on flying as that's apart of getting something dependable...
What's the price in the Chief?

Name
Evets
I'd wait it out for a bigger heat exchanger truckmount. One will pop up soon. buying 2 fuels just doesn't make sense and it's a waste of money for the today's technology on heat exchangers.
This statement is exactly why we bought a Titan 575. Was sold on the El Diablo until Matt said these exact words, well similar, in another thread.

Reactions: BIG WOOD and bmxin

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Propane is easier to deal with than kerosene or diesel

I've owned both.
if talking about ease of availability, K1 is way easier here .
several gas stations carry it year round.
and dam'near every station has a diesel pump or two
(but only idiots run diesel regularly)

no "special" trips to prop dealer

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Cleanworks

bmxin

Name
dayvaad
I've owned both.
if talking about ease of availability, K1 is way easier here .
several gas stations carry it year round.
and dam'near every station has a diesel pump or two
(but only idiots run diesel regularly)

no "special" trips to prop dealer

..L.T.A.
In the mitten state people eat/grill year round and propane is even @stores- Walmart, meijer

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom