The Redding Fire.

Mikey P

Administrator
My daughter and a few members here, including Damon are all on alert that evacuations may be in order today.

She has a bunch of cats and two pigs, all of whom Hula would eat, so she cant come here without doing the unthinkable.

They have a friend out this way that may be an option..

Damon is going to Marty's

But have you ever thought about where you would go?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Pets make relocating for emergencies very difficult. There are some very heartbreaking tales from Katrina.

I've had to do it once during devastating flooding that left 8' of water in my home and I ended up sending my wife and daughter to her parents home and I stayed elsewhere. But compared to what faces your daughter and our friends in California, it was nothing.

Reactions: Mikey P

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Daughter's the closest ...and where I'd head anyway so the GrandBoy and I could go get an ice cream cone
(chocolate, not that crappy vanilla or kweer strawberry)

as far as natural disasters...the only thing that would force a bugout from my particular plot of earth, would be a tornado leveling the house

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Nomad74

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Leave no one behind. Hurricane Irma forced evacuation so brought 2 80# tortoise, 2 cats, 2 birds and 8 dogs to an empty for sale house my sister in law owned. Didn’t think I was going to have a house to return to. Prayers to our friends near the Redding fire.

Name
Jeff T
My daughter and a few members here, including Damon are all on alert that evacuations may be in order today.

She has a bunch of cats and two pigs, all of whom Hula would eat, so she cant come here without doing the unthinkable.

They have a friend out this way that may be an option..

Damon is going to Marty's

I’m going through something similar right now. There’s ALWAYS wildfires up here in the summer. My wife went to get house insurance for the new place, and because there’s a fire closer than 50km(30 miles), we can’t insure. No insurance, NO MORTGAGE... fook me, it’s always something.... we are approved, BUT....

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Insurance companies are taking hits globally from "natural disasters" (insert warning here @bob vawter ) so they quite often aren't reinsuring new owners and taking on more risk.

This part of the world some have found they can't sell because they are in earthquake prone area. They are covered but a new owner might not be

Name
Jeff T
perfect timing ..I was going to ask about ins rates
Homes in the city less to ins than homes in the woods?

what's that mean?
once the fire is out, you can then get insurance?

.L.T.A.
Yes, if it’s 31 miles away, I can get insurance. I was quoted 2100$ Canadian a year for FULL coverage. I quoted on a job @ a bed and breakfast place the other day, and because they are X amount away from a fire station, and X amount away from a fire hydrant, they are paying 9K A YEAR FOR HOUSE INSURANCE.... holy shyte....

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Just saw this thread. Thanks guys.... and Meg.

Its been a crazy couple of days. Redding has a population of about 90k and over 30k have been evacuated. Tom Conway and myself live on the south side of Redding. The fire is on the Northwest side. It’s currently about 65 sq miles large.

Last night I got a call that my Mother-in-law needed to be evacuated from her assisted living facility. If I wasn’t able to get her they were going to bus her to someplace in Sacramento. I drove 95mph to get her.

On the way I could see the flames off to the west and the sky was bright orange. Ash was falling in clumps. When I arrived at the facility, the staff had all the elderly parked in their wheelchairs and walkers in the front lobby. All of them had signs taped to their chests with their names and DOB’s. It was like walking into a live morgue.

I located my InLaw-Unit and told her to stay put while I collect her meds and clothes. I grabbed a garbage bag from a staff member and went into her room gathering her things. While I was in there the power went out. The power failure caused the magnets that hold all the fire doors open to release, slamming all the doors shut.

Using the flashlight on my cell phone I was able to continue gathering my mom’s stuff. When I left the room and went out into the hallway, I found myself with an old woman and her walker standing in the dark. I opened the heavy fire door for her and tried to guide her to the front lobby. She was suffering from dementia and with every other step would stop and say, “I need to find Irma. Where did Irma go?”

We eventually made it to the front lobby where I transferred custody of my new friend to a staff member. I then grabbed the InLaw-Unit, stuffed her and her walker into the car, and made a mad dash home.

My wife’s mom is suffering from dementia bad. All night long she kept walking into our room looking for the bathroom. At one point my oldest son came running into my room yelling, “Grandma just walked out the front door!” It was a very long night!

This morning we woke up to Facebook posts of many of our friends losing their homes. So sad. I pray my family will be spared. Currently we are safe but with the speed this fire is moving, we’re prepared to leave fast if needed. We have our 10k watt generator fueled up along with the vehicles. Suitcases are packed and placed by the door.

As I sit here writing this, I’m continually interrupted by my mom’s constant questioning , “Where am I? I need to go to room #4. Where did I put my purse?” Growing old is hell. It breaks my heart to see her like this. I watched her husband slowly desolve and die and now we’re watching her. We’re doing everything we can to make her comfortable.

So today I cleaned two large vacant homes. The second place was near the evacuation zone. By the end of the job I was covered in soot and caughing like crazy. The entire city is under a thick cloud of smoke and ash. I’ll be up all night watching the news. The town is filled with National Gaurd, CHP, Firefighters, and OES. I live near the Redding Airport and Cal-Fire Northern Ops bomber base. Watching the tankers fly over my house is a huge relief. I give them a big thumbs up whenever they fly over. We currently have the 747 firebomber up here and that baby is big!

Mikey, if your daughter needs any help at all, please tell her I’m available. If she needs a place to go with her cats, We’ll make room for her.

429505D4-3A22-42D7-96D7-E67179ED518A.jpeg 701459BA-4F1C-4712-8FBE-36D1D9200217.jpeg C66FE19A-6E1D-4FE3-9F3E-B3EEEC1ADE14.jpeg 6EACE5DA-6C5D-4922-9DF2-A767CD3EFA96.jpeg 98DBF530-C543-4B71-8F95-F6000D4A5C94.jpeg

Last edited:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Just to give you an idea of where I am in relation to the fire.... My house is the professionally drawn red circle.

Ugh, we just got an alert not to drink the water unless we boil it first. The city stopped filtering it in an effort to provide enough water for the firefighters. Good thing I'm loaded up with Dr. Pepper.

upload_2018-7-27_18-1-10.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom