The Redding Fire.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Mark, is your truck a 1/2 ton? Edit: I see it is. How does that do towing that trailer?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

guess you'll roll out well before a "massive storm"?
cause I'd hate to be dragging that "mobile office" thru snow drifts in a blizzard :razz:

might need a little more traction

yellow-tracked-vehicle-on-snow-grooming-machine.jpg

or maybe some "new wheels" for you pick-up?

Jeep%20Cherokee%20Ice%20Fishing%20Rig.JPG

..L.T.A.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Damon, courage. And if you or Mrs Damon want tips on caring for a senile bag of hammers, pm me and I’ll give you my phone number. Elaine can advise your wife and I’ll recommend a decent pipe tobacco.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Good thoughts are with you. Looks like you have it handled. Ideally go before level 3 GO. We have the Taylor ck fire about 6 miles away from us. About 35k acres and they are doing some huge huge back fires so I expect it to be subdued in a week. Yours is super explosive unfortunately. Video everything you own. Only takes 30 minutes. Good luck man.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
looking at satellite map, looks to be plenty "non forest" buffer between you and flame

Monica less so..but still a little better than west of Sacramento River

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Damon, courage. And if you or Mrs Damon want tips on caring for a senile bag of hammers, pm me and I’ll give you my phone number. Elaine can advise your wife and I’ll recommend a decent pipe tobacco.
If I call you, I want to hear Shallow-Shore-Navy stories.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Dude do what Al says, document your stuff for insurance purposes and if t gets closer, you should leave with your family if not just because of the air quality.

You can rebuild a house and by more crap (el caminos and amtex). You can’t fix anything if something happens to your family.

you need to leave before they have to ask you to leave in my opinion.

Take you family on a unexpected vacation.

Mikey go get your kid out of there with all her cats at least for now.

Last edited:

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Yes Mike. When it hits GO the roads will be jammed. We have a level 2 area that has a few thousand homes all fed by a winding 15 mile road. One accident blocking the road would be disatrious. My RV is fueled up stocked and ready even though for now I am not in a high danger area.

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton
We have terrible bush fires in Australia.

Our last one was 10 years ago - Black Saturday- that claimed over 100 lives.
The temperature reached 48C

I went in 10 days after to help with the clean up.

I spoke to survivors who all had miracle escapes. They all said ONE thing in common.

"I shoulda evacuated the area"

If any of you are anywhere near this fire then get out.

With wind changes the fire can travel incredible distances in a short time.

Better 5o be safe.

Take extreme care guys

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Man. My InLaw-Unit is wondering around my house in the dark again. She won’t stay in bed. I had to stack 4 cases of prespray against the front door because she kept trying to go outside. It’s looking like another long night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Saiger

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Just saw this thread. Thanks guys.... and Meg.

Its been a crazy couple of days. Redding has a population of about 90k and over 30k have been evacuated. Tom Conway and myself live on the south side of Redding. The fire is on the Northwest side. It’s currently about 65 sq miles large.

Last night I got a call that my Mother-in-law needed to be evacuated from her assisted living facility. If I wasn’t able to get her they were going to bus her to someplace in Sacramento. I drove 95mph to get her.

On the way I could see the flames off to the west and the sky was bright orange. Ash was falling in clumps. When I arrived at the facility, the staff had all the elderly parked in their wheelchairs and walkers in the front lobby. All of them had signs taped to their chests with their names and DOB’s. It was like walking into a live morgue.

I located my InLaw-Unit and told her to stay put while I collect her meds and clothes. I grabbed a garbage bag from a staff member and went into her room gathering her things. While I was in there the power went out. The power failure caused the magnets that hold all the fire doors open to release, slamming all the doors shut.

Using the flashlight on my cell phone I was able to continue gathering my mom’s stuff. When I left the room and went out into the hallway, I found myself with an old woman and her walker standing in the dark. I opened the heavy fire door for her and tried to guide her to the front lobby. She was suffering from dementia and with every other step would stop and say, “I need to find Irma. Where did Irma go?”

We eventually made it to the front lobby where I transferred custody of my new friend to a staff member. I then grabbed the InLaw-Unit, stuffed her and her walker into the car, and made a mad dash home.

My wife’s mom is suffering from dementia bad. All night long she kept walking into our room looking for the bathroom. At one point my oldest son came running into my room yelling, “Grandma just walked out the front door!” It was a very long night!

This morning we woke up to Facebook posts of many of our friends losing their homes. So sad. I pray my family will be spared. Currently we are safe but with the speed this fire is moving, we’re prepared to leave fast if needed. We have our 10k watt generator fueled up along with the vehicles. Suitcases are packed and placed by the door.

As I sit here writing this, I’m continually interrupted by my mom’s constant questioning , “Where am I? I need to go to room #4. Where did I put my purse?” Growing old is hell. It breaks my heart to see her like this. I watched her husband slowly desolve and die and now we’re watching her. We’re doing everything we can to make her comfortable.

So today I cleaned two large vacant homes. The second place was near the evacuation zone. By the end of the job I was covered in soot and caughing like crazy. The entire city is under a thick cloud of smoke and ash. I’ll be up all night watching the news. The town is filled with National Gaurd, CHP, Firefighters, and OES. I live near the Redding Airport and Cal-Fire Northern Ops bomber base. Watching the tankers fly over my house is a huge relief. I give them a big thumbs up whenever they fly over. We currently have the 747 firebomber up here and that baby is big!

Mikey, if your daughter needs any help at all, please tell her I’m available. If she needs a place to go with her cats, We’ll make room for her.

View attachment 83700 View attachment 83701 View attachment 83702 View attachment 83703 View attachment 83704
First time I've seen you with white socks. Stay safe Damon.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Perfect!!! Ordering!

Posey 5550B General Purpose Restraint Belt, Bed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LES5TCQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_14axBb5266A34

E168CF1B-FF44-483A-99F3-9BC4B9F390FC.png

Reactions: Mikey P

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
That's odd...

But 37,000 evacuees is newsworthy

Its not really.

News in other countries dont waste much time on movie star BS, and report world wide news. The news in USA keeps you blind to world events that might make you think positive about other countries.

Best wishes to everyone in Redding!

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Damon move to Alabama Marty has room.

And give the poor old lady some nyquil and chain her to the bedpost.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Looks like we made it. Tom is home all alone because his wife headed out, and I'm here with the inLaw-unit. Looks like the fire lines to the south and east are holding. I'll be glad when this is all over. The amount of cleanup is massive. So many of our friends and customers have lost their homes. The news is saying the winds today are going to be pushing the fire back my way, but I'm pretty confident they have the lines in place for an eastward containment.

Here is the most current fire map. My home is in the lower right corner. Tom is just a little south.

upload_2018-7-29_8-6-7.png

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Damon, call your family doctor and ask for a sleeping pill for your MIL. Alzhies don’t sleep soundly and if she is ambulatory, she is in danger.

I disagree with restraining straps and they may actually be illegal in CA, even considered elder abuse. I’m not saying you are an abuser; but is she gets bruised and the cops check her home situation, it could look very bad.

Another help may be a good walk to wear her out after supper and keep her up an extra hour. Fatigue is your friend.

You are in my thoughts. Be prepared for a huge surge in cleaning when this fire is extinguished.

Name
La Canada Carpet Cleaning
Stay safe Damon, so sorry all this crap going down.. I went through it in 09 with station fire, ash for months and months true mess

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom