TES vs. dri eaz & desicants for cold weather drying

BUSY BEE

I'm looking for opinions for upcoming freezing water damage work. The TES seems like the ideal product, but the cost of it and differing opinions with others in my partnership (Dri Eaz & desicants) is becoming quite the debate. Pro's and con's? thanks, Bill

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
there was a couple of complete tes trailer units on ebay for 17000 obo, was going to get one of them but was told by multiple sources they would not work well for me in texas and would not be as versitle of a tool in my line up. i am looking at getting two of the 1200's dessicants from phoenix.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I've no experience with big desiccants so I can't speak to them. Most of my experience is with the Dritec 325's and they were great units.

I personally prefer the rapid drying that heat gives you, whether it's an E-TES or the TES trailer unit. The desiccants do an great job but it's still slower drying. Both can create the lower vapor pressure for faster evaporation but the heat drying done correctly is so much faster.

You could always start out with an E-TES or a Phoenix Firebird and see what results are like to test the waters. These units can be used with existing equipment but will work better with the high temp dehumidifers.

Take a look at Drieaz's new LGR 2800i, it looks like an awesome addition to your drying fleet plus they can work in the higher temps and have an attachment for ducting hot dry air beneath poly sheeting.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Okay instead of waiting for an answer (not your fault) I will just say what I was going to say.

If you do larger commercial losses, I would suggest the dessicant. If you're doing residential - small/medium losses, an E-TES or TES unit.

TES by far.
In the winter your outside GPP will be around 1-20, Your exhaust fan will be 3000 cfm.
Therefore, you have a 3000 cfm drying unit at very low specific humiditys.

BUSY BEE

Steven Hoodlebrink said:
Okay instead of waiting for an answer (not your fault) I will just say what I was going to say.

If you do larger commercial losses, I would suggest the dessicant. If you're doing residential - small/medium losses, an E-TES or TES unit.
I apologize for asking a question and not responding, I spilled beer all over my keyboard and fried it the other day. I'm back now. Thanks for the responses everyone, We mainly do small jobs, but I'm thinking of advertising the restoration side of things in the phone book. When I advertised in the phone book in Sacto CA a few years ago, I got a few calls for very big jobs. I handle the Reno stuff now with the restoration biz, drying in very cold temperatures is new to me, so I may be asking you guys more questions in the upcoming cold months. I find the e-tes very interesting I Must say. Thanks, Bill

BUSY BEE

rctpks said:
I've no experience with big desiccants so I can't speak to them. Most of my experience is with the Dritec 325's and they were great units.

I personally prefer the rapid drying that heat gives you, whether it's an E-TES or the TES trailer unit. The desiccants do an great job but it's still slower drying. Both can create the lower vapor pressure for faster evaporation but the heat drying done correctly is so much faster.

You could always start out with an E-TES or a Phoenix Firebird and see what results are like to test the waters. These units can be used with existing equipment but will work better with the high temp dehumidifers.

Take a look at Drieaz's new LGR 2800i, it looks like an awesome addition to your drying fleet plus they can work in the higher temps and have an attachment for ducting hot dry air beneath poly sheeting.
Yeah that new LGR looks sweet!!! I saw the ad recently, we'll be looking into that as well.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
The local Interlink's now stock the 2800, looks pretty i must say.

ken horvath

Looking at TES as your only source for heat drying in cold weather is limiting. There is much to choose from. I have dried hundreds of jobs using "controlled heat only". Dried in the summer, winter, when its raining, when its sunny, commercial, residential, etc... Never used a TES on one of those jobs. Could have as I have plenty of $$ to buy one if I wanted to. And I have never paid more than 5K for a heat drying unit. Currently I have 7 fuel fired systems in my Restoration Company. (disclosure) As well as owning a Restoration Company, I also manufacture the ELE 6400 and sell Thermobile equipment. 28 years in the Industry and counting.

Not knocking TES, however I will knock e-tes, but mainly I want people to know there is "lot's" more out there that works, is easy to use and doesn't cost that much.

Back
Top Bottom