terrazzo Question

Jtuseo

Name
Big Hoss
I have a job that I do it is black terazzo section and then there are sections of white terrazzo. What is the best meathod to make this stone look clean and what would be the best sealer and finish for the stone? The floors are 3 years old but they need to be shined up and cleaned nice.
I want to maintan a mice look for these floors , to keep them looking good year round

Thank you

Mikey P

Administrator
I'll let Fon answer this as I have never touched the stuff.

btw, Terrazzo is not a stone, rather chucks of stone set in a resin/ epoxy base.

Jtuseo

Name
Big Hoss
Ok cool I will wait for Fon, what I am looking to do is make the White sections whiter. Once i get the White nice and White I want to make it shine .

Fon Johnson

Terrazzo is agglomerate set in a base of either epoxy or cement. The agglomerate can be chips of marble, granite, or other natural or man made material. You will only get them as white as they originally were. The same holds true for the base. Terrazzo (for the most part) you can throw the kitchen sink at EXCEPT you will want to avoid acids if it is a natural stone. If you plan to use anything stronger than stripper or another moderate alkaline, test it first. We have done lots of terrazzo where we just strip, seal, and finish it. Bear in mind that just like a concrete driveway, the natural stone and cement base can accept and retain many stains. This can make it difficult to get some stains out.

We usually just strip them, and then seal with Spartan's Terraglaze. The Terraglaze can be burnished and maintained like a finish, or you can put your favorite floor finish over it. The main reason I like the Terraglaze is because it is VERY durable, and it is not a nightmare to strip. If you choose to use Johnson's Plaze, just be aware that it will be a booger to strip.

This is a 50+ year old drug store that we have Terralgaze and I-Shine on. The one good thing about it is that you can scrub and re-coat and buff to keep it pretty. Of course the proper or prefered way is to grind, hone and polish. This is cost prohibitive for most though.

Here is a picture of the drugstore with the Terraglaze and I-Shine.

IMG_0111.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom