Taking over another business

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Worked with the guy today. He is anal about measuring to the last sqft and entering every room in his CRM. I see that as a waste of time. I usually only record the total sqft. His reasoning is if they call him back in the future, he can quote individual room prices. I can see the logic but it's a pain. How many of you record every room and closet sqft individually?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Worked with the guy today. He is anal about measuring to the last sqft and entering every room in his CRM. I see that as a waste of time. I usually only record the total sqft. His reasoning is if they call him back in the future, he can quote individual room prices. I can see the logic but it's a pain. How many of you record every room and closet sqft individually?
I did for decades. So glad I don't now.

Reactions: Cleanworks
F

FB7777

I don’t

do what you feel comfortable with

the fact is , you’re still in business.

Name
Jeff T
I do. And keep a record of it all. It’s easy to do once a guy gets used to it. If a guy presprays, THEN take measurements while the carpet is marinating, it falls into the perfect timing for me. But hey, we all have different systems, and that’s ok....
Even for Captain curmudgeon....@hogjowl...
BTW, what tool does he use to measure?

Last edited:
Name
Jeff T
Oh, of course. I’m sure they call their neighbors and tell them how cool it is
Idiot
Commercial client: ‘but I don’t think we can disturb our office while you take measurements’...
Me: ‘I’ll be less than 3-5 seconds per office’...
Client: ‘OH, but the last guy was taking BIG steps everywhere’...
Me: ‘um, yes, that WAS THE LAST GUY, we prefer to do things accurately, and professionally’.....

• Haha
Reactions: Nomad74

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Commercial client: ‘but I don’t think we can disturb our office while you take measurements’...
Me: ‘I’ll be less than 3-5 seconds per office’...
Client: ‘OH, but the last guy was taking BIG steps everywhere’...
Me: ‘um, yes, that WAS THE LAST GUY, we prefer to do things accurately, and professionally’.....
Yeah, "last commercial guy here was shining a laser in everybody's eyes".

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
The roll-a-tape seriously shorts your measurements. I've worn out dozens of them.

Yep realized that in a 4 story hotel wear we were cleaning all rooms and halls, stairwells. It adds up over that many linear feet!

BigG

Name
Grant
What if they don't call back for a return client? Big waste of time. I use pics of rooms and work i do.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
I still measure each room but almost all my customers are repeat so I just transfer the measurements from the last invoice. Dont know why I started that but its just habit now.

The only things I dont measure are steps, bathrooms and large closets. You dont make out on sq ft pricing on those so just a flat rate.

Anyway, the important thing is to just take individual measurements and individual total square footage but NOT individual cost per room! KEY! the only price they see is the Grand Total.

Name
Swani
I've been measuring and recording every room for the last couple of years and the other day I changed sd cards on my phone a f'd it all up and lost it all.😭

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
So he sends you the jobs? Is it possible that he holds the better jobs for themselves since your using your truck. What does his truck do? Just curious

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
So he sends you the jobs? Is it possible that he holds the better jobs for themselves since your using your truck. What does his truck do? Just curious
It was only for 6 weeks. His dream job didn't pan out. It worked out pretty good. Job average was over $400. All houses since he doesn't do portable work, with the exception of one suite done for a restoration company. His truck is on its last legs. Even at 70%, I was making good money. Job totals was between $450-$750 usually. Suburban area with large homes. Vid he chooses to sell, I would probably make him a commission only offer. Hard to put a price on the good will.

Name
Jeff T
It was only for 6 weeks. His dream job didn't pan out. It worked out pretty good. Job average was over $400. All houses since he doesn't do portable work, with the exception of one suite done for a restoration company. His truck is on its last legs. Even at 70%, I was making good money. Job totals was between $450-$750 usually. Suburban area with large homes. Vid he chooses to sell, I would probably make him a commission only offer. Hard to put a price on the good will.
I said no to the local guy aswell.
He was very guarded with his client list, (didn’t want me to even look at it during the meeting), and had nothing to offer when it came to equipment.
He’s now out of business, and I’m getting a lot of calls from ‘section 8’s’....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom