Suggestions appreciated

John Downey

The photos are of a radio station "carpet" that we have cleaned twice already (the color difference from photo to photo is just because of lighting). The reason for the scare quotes (" ") is that it is different than anything I've come across before. The pile is low, hard and kinda corded. I didn't test the fiber but suspect it is either poly-p or poly-e. As you can see, the walking paths are very distinct and have been since before we cleaned it the first time. The color is dingy but there isn't any noticeable pile distortion.

As previously mentioned, we have already cleaned and recleaned it once. Our cleaning process involves application of prespray, CRB agitation, then high-flow rinse using a Steamin Demon. The first time we used Procyon as a prespray, the second time we used LST (after testing LST against full-strength Perky spotter). After two cleanings I would say that the improvement has been about half of what I would be happy with.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

IMG_1615.jpg IMG_1616.jpg IMG_1617.jpg

hogjowl

Idiot™
I can understand why Procyon didn’t do the trick, but it’s been decades since I’ve used LST, so I can’t comment on that particular product. I can say that I would have approached that with a high quality grease cutter (Prochem Power Burst) with Rotovac rinse. If it resulted in the same outcome that you experienced, then I would have followed up with a VLM cleaning. I also would have incorporated rapid drying with airpath fans following the HWE cleaning.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
If you have a 175 or OP machine, use a https://excellent-supply.com/products/microfiber-scrub-17-inch-agitation-bonnet
1705513139501.png

and Saiger's (or Rick's, but I can't vouch for it) Oxy based encap.

The brightening effect that takes place from oxidizing all the organic left overs, will AMAZE you, promise!

or

Bring sunglasses if you plan on viewing the next day...

John Downey

I can understand why Procyon didn’t do the trick, but it’s been decades since I’ve used LST, so I can’t comment on that particular product. I can say that I would have approached that with a high quality grease cutter (Prochem Power Burst) with Rotovac rinse. If it resulted in the same outcome that you experienced, then I would have followed up with a VLM cleaning. I also would have incorporated rapid drying with airpath fans following the HWE cleaning.
Thank you.

John Downey

If you have a 175 or OP machine, use a https://excellent-supply.com/products/microfiber-scrub-17-inch-agitation-bonnet
View attachment 125845

and Saiger's (or Rick's, but I can't vouch for it) Oxy based encap.

The brightening effect that takes place from oxidizing all the organic left overs, will AMAZE you, promise!

or

Bring sunglasses if you plan on viewing the next day...
Thanks, Mike. I don't have either machine, only a Multiwash CRB. I believe I still have some release it, but it is several years old, so probably something fresh. My distributor carries Saiger's products.

Mikey P

Administrator
Thanks, Mike. I don't have either machine, only a Multiwash CRB. I believe I still have some release it, but it is several years old, so probably something fresh. My distributor carries Saiger's products.
Rent a 175 from HomeDepot

the magic of Microfiber and the Oxy together is the fix, just running either chem through a Multi Wash or your Demon isn't going to do the trick.

Reactions: ImperialCC

hogjowl

Idiot™
Just your cylindrical brush machine with a good quality encap machine will probably improve that. The absolute best encap solution I’ve ever used is Whittakers.

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
The photos are of a radio station "carpet" that we have cleaned twice already (the color difference from photo to photo is just because of lighting). The reason for the scare quotes (" ") is that it is different than anything I've come across before. The pile is low, hard and kinda corded. I didn't test the fiber but suspect it is either poly-p or poly-e. As you can see, the walking paths are very distinct and have been since before we cleaned it the first time. The color is dingy but there isn't any noticeable pile distortion.

As previously mentioned, we have already cleaned and recleaned it once. Our cleaning process involves application of prespray, CRB agitation, then high-flow rinse using a Steamin Demon. The first time we used Procyon as a prespray, the second time we used LST (after testing LST against full-strength Perky spotter). After two cleanings I would say that the improvement has been about half of what I would be happy with.

View attachment 125842 View attachment 125843 View attachment 125844
I am sure you have though of already, BUT, possibly, high quality commercial continuous loop (almost, but not quite berber)
glue down, over a concrete slab , that maybe is not level. High , low spots that prevent your SD machine from extracting efficiently?
AND, Only because you said "we" . When HWEers clean with a scrub wand we can tell / feel when loosing the seal due to the unlevel surfaces. Not sure how much the "we" part plays into it. .
I am sure YOU know your machine.

Last edited:
Name
Nate W.
I'd also op/encap it.. I do agree with @roro on the SD not sealing well enough from uneven floor.. I have 2 SD's myself with a green glide.. It's a decent tool in the right circumstances..

Also I've been an avid LST user since the 1990's.. It's possible that it may be wetting further down the fiber as it's surface tension is a lot lower than other detergents.. What did it look like before you cleaned it the first time? Type of soil around/outside the office? I'd stop adding more water to the mix and see if a bonnet and encap product will make it look better.. Heck, even taking a clean rag and spray bottle of encap to test/hand rub the darker/dingy areas and see what comes up.. My pops was a flooring inspector so I've seen my fare share of flooring problems from cleaning related to installation and manufacture defects/mill problems.. Spin-finish was always a fun one to correct..

John Downey

Rather than reply individually to each message, I hope it is OK to post this collective thank you to everyone for the suggestions.

Overall, it's not wicking, although one spot in the doorway of the bottom photo was not that way when we were done, so it almost certainly is (probably due to a little leaking from the Demon). The carpet doesn't look better when we're done, then worse as it dries. Those walkways just ... stay ... dingy! I think I'll try Mike's suggestion and rent a swing machine and use an encap product to bonnet clean it. As is evident by the fact that I don't own a 175, I'm not a bonnet guy. In truth, I don't do much commercial work (happily so).

Again, thanks for all your replies and suggestions!

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
It appears like one of those pain in the rear carpet that no matter what you throw at it, it ain’t budging.

put away the hwe. Use 175, cotton bonnet and encap of your choice. They all work pretty much the same. Some stink while others have a pleasant scent.
if it remains the same or some what of improvement, it’s one of those carpets that are a pain in the ass and will never look any better.

I could be wrong but I’ve had my share of nice looking commercial carpet that just ain’t changing much in appearance.

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Rather than reply individually to each message, I hope it is OK to post this collective thank you to everyone for the suggestions.

Overall, it's not wicking, although one spot in the doorway of the bottom photo was not that way when we were done, so it almost certainly is (probably due to a little leaking from the Demon). The carpet doesn't look better when we're done, then worse as it dries. Those walkways just ... stay ... dingy! I think I'll try Mike's suggestion and rent a swing machine and use an encap product to bonnet clean it. As is evident by the fact that I don't own a 175, I'm not a bonnet guy. In truth, I don't do much commercial work (happily so).

Have you ever used a truckmount to clean carpet?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
He’s been around the block and back and was cleaning carpet long before you were learning to drive.

John created Cleanfax.

When he and I served on the board of directors of the United Carpet Cleaners Institute, “Cleanfax” was our newsletter. John handled it for us, and one day came to a board meeting to inform us that he was going to take it and it’s more reader friendly format to compete with ICS.

I confess I felt pity for him and his Quixotic attempt to take on the unassailable ICS magazine. But I kept my mouth shut.

How wrong I was!

Cleanfax, with its content heavy and advertising light format rapidly became “THE ” industry trade journal.

The publisher of ICS found my decision to write articles for Cleanfax to be a betrayal and barely spoke to me due to that.

Reactions: Rick J and BIG WOOD

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

Make sure it's an oxy-encap product. It will brighten it up considerably.

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

How dirty was the water after the 2nd cleaning?

Nomad74

Boy Sprout

Ok, a few things here. Do you use an acid rinse? Wicking from coffee and other liquids could be making their way back up. you need to go over it again with DS@ or Angry Lemon, or any other encap product. I know you said you don't have the machine to encap, so just use your CRB. It will work just fine and should take out those deer trails.

Name
Jeff T
Might be a stupid question…

Did you vacuum first W/ a QUALITY roller brush vacuum that’s been properly maintained?

I’m betting that carpet is seriously impacted W/ soil, I’d say they use a flat floor tool to vacuum on the regular…

Daily cleaning by in house janitors, Just like every frickin other ‘janitorial’ company in the modern world.

When we approach a new contract, whether it’s HWE, or VLM, we vacuum HEAVY before we start our process.

That’s what I’m seeing.

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD

hogjowl

Idiot™
Ok, a few things here. Do you use an acid rinse? Wicking from coffee and other liquids could be making their way back up. you need to go over it again with DS@ or Angry Lemon, or any other encap product. I know you said you don't have the machine to encap, so just use your CRB. It will work just fine and should take out those deer trails.
Oh no … Melon says it’s too light! 😂

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom