So, how to bid hotels properly

Chris A

Name
Chris
We are just finishing up a 3 day hotel job.

Our newest commercial account managers bid on it based on getting it only if we got a decent price, since he knew they can be a pain in the butt to schedule and do the cleaning. The price going in was $6000 for traffic areas only. Also we are doing select pieces of upholstery that will be priced after the fact. As far as I can tell, that should add an additional $1500 or so to the final price.

2 guys, 2 trucks, done in three 8 hour days.

Now THAT'S my kinda job

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
We are just finishing up a 3 day hotel job.

Our newest commercial account managers bid on it based on getting it only if we got a decent price, since he knew they can be a pain in the butt to schedule and do the cleaning. The price going in was $6000 for traffic areas only. Also we are doing select pieces of upholstery that will be priced after the fact. As far as I can tell, that should add an additional $1500 or so to the final price.

2 guys, 2 trucks, done in three 8 hour days.
That's what I was hoping to read. I knew not all hotels paid pennies on the dollar

Reactions: Brian H

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
So I submitted the quote today and recently got this email

"
Matt,
Couple of questions for you from ownership about the quotes.

Can you separate the lobby and meeting room to their own line since they won't be done but by request only?
If there are guests occupying rooms on the day you clean, how will the bill be adjusted to account for those rooms that didn't get service?"

And I replied with this:
Yeah, I can seperate the meeting rooms and lobby. I'll deliver an updated quote sheet. As for the rooms that are occupied...I had the understanding that since I was cleaning an entire floor each visit, that the rooms would be empty. But if they are occupied, I have a letter to put in all the rooms on the floor I clean saying that their room is going to be cleaned, and I'm in and out of their room very promptly and they need to put all their belongings on their tables so I can clean and make their room cleaner for them to enjoy. Since the tenants are expecting the room to have the carpet cleaned...it's never been a problem. I charge hotels by the floor, not by the room, so getting as much cleaned on that floor the day I arrive is the best way to have it cleaned, so there won't be a need to adjust the cost of service.

They seem to be changing the rules after they received my quote. The original request was that they close off a whole floor so I can clean every room on that floor once a month. Now, they want to know what I'll do if they're not organized when I arrive. That's the way I understood it

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

"
Matt,

Can you separate the lobby and meeting room to their own line since they won't be done but by request only?
If there are guests occupying rooms on the day you clean, how will the bill be adjusted to account for those rooms that didn't get service?"

And I replied with this:
Yeah, I can seperate the meeting rooms and lobby. I'll deliver an updated quote sheet. As for the rooms that are occupied...I had the understanding that since I was cleaning an entire floor each visit, that the rooms would be empty. But if they are occupied, I have a letter to put in all the rooms on the floor I clean saying that their room is going to be cleaned, and I'm in and out of their room very promptly and they need to put all their belongings on their tables so I can clean and make their room cleaner for them to enjoy. Since the tenants are expecting the room to have the carpet cleaned...it's never been a problem. I charge hotels by the floor, not by the room, so getting as much cleaned on that floor the day I arrive is the best way to have it cleaned, so there won't be a need to adjust the cost of service.

They seem to be changing the rules after they received my quote. The original request was that they close off a whole floor so I can clean every room on that floor once a month. Now, they want to know what I'll do if they're not organized when I arrive. That's the way I understood it
Is method an issue? If they allow it, you could keep track of those rooms not cleaned that day and come back in with an OP or 175& Bonnet. So all will still be charged and all will still be cleaned.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
The other hotel I clean...they get the employee/maid lady to open the door for me and stay in the room until I'm finished cleaning, then lock it back up for secure reasons around the tenant's personal's. It's not a big deal.

I think they're trying to nitpick at my quote and looking for ways to slash the price.

Reactions: KevinL

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

"
Matt,

And I replied with this:

"Yeah" I doubt you'll be getting that job

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Pricing by the Floor instead of the room!?-- Why?
Not all floors have the same number of rooms-- especially in the big cities.

Wishing you the best and hope you don't have any regrets.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I have a letter to put in all the rooms on the floor I clean saying that their room is going to be cleaned, and I'm in and out of their room very promptly and they need to put all their belongings on their tables so I can clean and make their room cleaner for them to enjoy

huh??

I'm sure I wouldn't want a room with wet carpet.
and damn sure don't want some yoyo in my room if I'm sleeping in or watching Bugs Bunny and Road Runner cartoons

..L.T.A.

Able 2.0

Name
Kiefer
I've quoted a bunch of them.. Haven't got one, even in my early years at $20 a room.. Waste of time!!

Name
Nate W.
8mins in-n-out doesn’t even give proper dwell time.. :icon_neutral:

Hey, if I could do College turns at some of those rates I’d hear, I’d Jam it..

I’d Emulsifier only forget the prespray.. :dejection:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
huh??

I'm sure I wouldn't want a room with wet carpet.
and damn sure don't want some yoyo in my room if I'm sleeping in or watching Bugs Bunny and Road Runner cartoons

..L.T.A.
It's very common in our industry. Last time I was at the hotel that my supplier uses for us CC'ers to lodge, I noticed a very similar letter on my table.

And 8min in a tiny room the size of a 12X12 bedroom furnished is the average time.

You guys are thinking residential where people lay down on their floor and multiple steps are needed to where it'd take much longer than 8min. Hotels are different when you get a pattern of steps.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
It's very common in our industry. Last time I was at the hotel that my supplier uses for us CC'ers to lodge, I noticed a very similar letter on my table.

And 8min in a tiny room the size of a 12X12 bedroom furnished is the average time.

You guys are thinking residential where people lay down on their floor and multiple steps are needed to where it'd take much longer than 8min. Hotels are different when you get a pattern of steps.
The important thing to remember is that your room rate is contingent on doing so many rooms at once. It does not apply when they call you back to say that the room is ready now, can you come and clean it for $8 please.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
It's very common in our industry.

what "industry", Woody?
the motel chain cleaners that road show a 200-300+ mile circuit?

and it's "common" to clean occupied rooms?
I'd raise hell if I was in that room...fo-reel
Can't imagine most wouldn't

Not trying to discourage you, but from my experience, the hotel/motel game is in the same league as restaurants and apts.

few will pay what it's worth

g'luck and make sure the batteries in your calculator are fresh

..L.T.A.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
You forget about the set-up and breakdown time, as well as when your performance decreases once you start to tire out.
Long hose runs are usually needed to keep the job flowing.

But If you are happy-- that's all that matters.
The good thing is-- the customer really doesn't care about quality-- they are simply marking a task off their list. :oldrolleyes:

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom