So, how to bid hotels properly

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'm gonna bring Scott with @Pioneer Floorcare into this conversation. I know it's easy to tease the hotel cleaners, but I feel we need to bring it to light, because there's a wrong and a right way to bid on hotels, and so many rug suckers are bidding the wrong way.

I just looked at 2 good sized, major hotels yesterday and I'll be sending a bid out soon. I'll let you know how I priced it, From Scott's advice, later.

How do some of you goobers price it and actually enjoy the work?

I see it as a good job to put an employee on while we go do a few houses to bang some big $$$$ that day

Reactions: Living The Dream

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
How do some of you goobers price it and actually enjoy the work?

donno about "enjoy" the work...
and I'm admittedly pi55poor biz man
BUTT...do know how to work a calculator.

I've found the best way to price it is to make sure it's profitable

..L.T.A.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You have to forget about sqft rates or regular room rates. Figure out how long it will take you and set an hourly rate you can live with. Then increase it by 20% for things you didn't know.

Reactions: LCCFL and BIG WOOD
Name
Nate W.
Last hotel we did took 3 months to complete with a portable.. a little over $100k.. Prespray-clean-protection..

The scheduling sucked as we ask for more on the same floor but front desk didn't care.. Had to move nightstands, the hide-a-bed sofa sleeper and I'd lift the foot of the beds using plastic sawhorses.. Had to work around housekeepers carts, maintenance guys, blah blah.. They'd give us only 4-6 rooms a day..

We did get paid good for it as it was a Mill Correction.. They didn't apply protection from the mill.. Other than that, our prices are too high for any of them.. They don't care for quality, they care about price point and budget..

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Last hotel we did took 3 months to complete with a portable.. a little over $100k.. Prespray-clean-protection..

The scheduling sucked as we ask for more on the same floor but front desk didn't care.. Had to move nightstands, the hide-a-bed sofa sleeper and I'd lift the foot of the beds using plastic sawhorses.. Had to work around housekeepers carts, maintenance guys, blah blah.. They'd give us only 4-6 rooms a day..

We did get paid good for it as it was a Mill Correction.. They didn't apply protection from the mill.. Other than that, our prices are too high for any of them.. They don't care for quality, they care about price point and budget..
I wouldn't do a hotel even if they paid me.....

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I have another hotel that I clean here in my town. 15-20/room and leave with $900

Once again, I said most of you guys are pricing it wrong and most of the answers above proves that

Name
Nate W.
I have another hotel that I clean here in my town. 15-20/room and leave with $900

Once again, I said most of you guys are pricing it wrong and most of the answers above proves that

It's not a race to the bottom line.. Do what works for you.. $45/room based on 20 rooms.. $60/room based on 15 rooms.. Those aren’t numbers to brag about, but if it works for you, great..

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
It's not a race to the bottom line.. Do what works for you.. $45/room based on 20 rooms.. $60/room based on 15 rooms.. Those aren’t numbers to brag about, but if it works for you, great..
I'm in and out of these rooms in 8min max. These douchebags shame you for making good money. And it's better money when a tech is doing it and you're out making another 600-$1k.

This isn't the $5-$8/room game. That's old money. And I can't get $45-$60/room. That's not possible over here in east coast. Maybe in hawaii, but that's just irrelevant over here.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'm in and out of these rooms in 8min max. These douchebags shame you for making good money. And it's better money when a tech is doing it and you're out making another 600-$1k.

This isn't the $5-$8/room game. That's old money. And I can't get $45-$60/room. That's not possible over here in east coast. Maybe in hawaii, but that's just irrelevant over here.
Look, if you can make $900 in a day, that's not bad.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I wont turn up unless there are a min of 5 rooms I can clean from the 1 setup

exception being a guest has gone exorcist or something on a single room, in which case they're paying my min charge for that 1 room

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Minimum requirement is to charge by the Floor

Not by the room
yeah I live in a small tourist town with 100% occupancy even during covid (small hotels too) so they give me 5 adjacent rooms at a time for $300

they did give me a floor at a time few years back, but decided paying more per room for cleaning saved them more in the long run than having a floor out

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
yeah I live in a small tourist town with 100% occupancy even during covid (small hotels too) so they give me 5 adjacent rooms at a time for $300

they did give me a floor at a time few years back, but decided paying more per room for cleaning saved them more in the long run than having a floor out
I agree with you. My local 2floor gives me both floors at a time

Name
Nate W.

My dude, I broke down your numbers based upon what you’ve said.. $900 15-20 rooms..

We do corrections for carpet mills.. From carpet cleaning to blending side matches, spin finish, etc.. We aren’t setup for the chump change game.. We get paid to “fix” problems..

And like I’ve said, most want cheap that’s why they have in-house staff doing the cleanings.. Plus you’d have to be union to do work for any hotel..

Brian H

Name
Brian H
We are just finishing up a 3 day hotel job.

Our newest commercial account managers bid on it based on getting it only if we got a decent price, since he knew they can be a pain in the butt to schedule and do the cleaning. The price going in was $6000 for traffic areas only. Also we are doing select pieces of upholstery that will be priced after the fact. As far as I can tell, that should add an additional $1500 or so to the final price.

2 guys, 2 trucks, done in three 8 hour days.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
We are just finishing up a 3 day hotel job.

Our newest commercial account managers bid on it based on getting it only if we got a decent price, since he knew they can be a pain in the butt to schedule and do the cleaning. The price going in was $6000 for traffic areas only. Also we are doing select pieces of upholstery that will be priced after the fact. As far as I can tell, that should add an additional $1500 or so to the final price.

2 guys, 2 trucks, done in three 8 hour days.
So Bri....you guys running glides yet?

• Wow
Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom