Sally's/Vol 40/H2O2 - how do you use it?

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
I've just started using Hydrogen Peroxide in my cleaning jobs. I'd like to get some advice on using it.

1. Where do you use it? mystery spots, Urine spots, and/or traffic areas?

2. How do you apply it? I've been using a hand spray bottle from HD.

3. How much do you apply? Specifically in the traffic areas.

4. When do you apply? (again talking about traffic areas) -After cleaning and just before you groom with a brush? (If you do that!)

5. Do you mix ammonia with the HP? Do you mist ammonia AFTER applying the HP?

6. Any other questions I should be asking?

Yes I know to not use it on wool.

For the traffic areas I've basically been misting with the hand sprayer and then grooming. It seems to be helping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ T.

Mikey P

Administrator
1. Used right after vacuuming on coffee, soda, urine and any other yellow, orange or light brown stains

2. 40 vol destroys trigger sprayers faster than any water based chem I know. The Spray Master silver bottle $7.99 ones last the longest. Save your wife's house cleaning sprayers too.

3.Enough to get the fiber swimming in it

4. See # 1. We will also reapply after rinsing if we saw a notable improvement and try and let it sit a while longer. NOW is a great time to work some Fels soap into the spot, pre lubed with 40 it will get nice and sudsy. Vibram agitator tool is a good idea if she aint watching, other wise use the bottom of your spray bottle.

4.1 Have a dingy worn Olefin or Polyester that still looks like crap after cleaning? If it's vacant or you make them fully aware of what you are about to do and give them some booties, you can mist the 40 over dull traffic lanes and just leave it to do it's magic. The area or areas will be noticeably brighter the next day. PLEASE use fully mature and good sound judgement when doing so. (Waldo please disregard 4.1)

4.2. Add it to your HF or pump up pre spray to boost cleaning performance. Brightens colors and whitens whites!

5. Do not mix. For every 4 trigger pulls of 40 add one pull of Ammonia. We typically only use the combination when we are leaving the solution behind to work on real stubborn coffee, blood or wiz stains that would not come out during our visit but we felt the delayed approach would work. Mist both on and cover with a sheet of plastic with instruction to leave it covered for at least 8 hours. Work the solutions in by rubbing the plastic. DO THIS ONLY ON POLY AND OLEFINS. 5th gen Nylons or above can be done as well but you'll need to explain the risk involved and perhaps get a signature. For every 20 Nylons you'll try this on one will over lighten a bit. In most cases the customer wont care because the stain is gone. Trail and error. How bad do you want to be a carpet cleaning super hero?

6. Wear gloves if you're of the delicate nature.
-Do not leave on cotton or wool.
-Carry a bottle of Distilled water on board to dilute the 40 if you want to go lite on Nylons, and naturals, cutting it to 20 or 10 volume is much safer.
-You can become an Upholstery Cleaning Super Hero on tough "permanent" water or other liquid stains on cotton by cleaning first then misting and mild agitation the ring and placing in the sun while you clean the rest of the piece or carpet. Usually in under a half hour in nice bright sun shine the toughest of rings vanishes. Rinse with an acid to remove the peroxide, otherwise it will continue to work and weaken the fabric.

7. Become a Supportive Member here.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
oh and when you see a spot turn orange right away when you apply the Ammonia 40 combo, that's a good thing!

Don't panic, just put the plastic over it and tell Mrs Pift that you enjoy fine bourbon around the holidays.

Every last one of you should have a 12 by 400 roll of this on board..

POLY-1-2.jpg

Home Depot $24.99

Cut small pieces for covering Stain Magic attempts
Use as a leave behind tarp for setting upholstery cushions on
Leave behind under hacked rugs
Placed inside cushions between ink marked foam and fabric
Mask cabinets when cleaning counters
Mask stainless appliances when acid cleaning or stripping floors
Protect banana trees from freezing.

Reactions: hogjowl

hogjowl

Idiot™
I thought about you yesterday. (I threw up a little in my mouth.)

I had to quote a pretty large oriental rug "cleaning" yesterday. They were all on wood floors. Your plastic came to mind.

I would have recommended a "take em out and clean em" place if we had one around here. I mean REALLY clean them. Not just take em out and steam clean them out back.

• Haha
Reactions: BIG WOOD

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I have never had a problem with sallys 40 on anything. I haven't had the lightening problems mikey talked about. after trail and error I agree with mikey to make the 40 volume as strong as possible, mix 3 parts sallys with one part ammonia. any more ammonia than that and you just dilute the effect. the biggest thing that sucks about buying the stuff from sallys is how crappy the bottles are sealed they can actually leak if tipped over. the only time I haven't lightened the carpet is when I have put a wet towel over the spot and added heat. but that was already a go for broke situation and didn't matter. fels naptha and 40v is the last thing suppliers want you knowing about. another use for 40 volume is on ink stains that explode sometimes it will save you.

Reactions: Barry-QDCC

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I left a long piece a plastic for the vCt guys today!
Told em id kill em if they get that sheet on my cleaned carpet!

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
. the biggest thing that sucks about buying the stuff from sallys is how crappy the bottles are sealed they can actually leak if tipped over. .

Sally's Vol 40 is Hydrogen Peroxide at 12%. I buy a gallon of 27% Hydrogen Peroxide at a pool supply in a very sturdy gallon container for about $16.00. I immediately dilute it with a gallon of water making 13.5% HP - just slightly stronger than the Sally's stuff. So final cost is $8 per gallon.

What does Sally's go for?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Sally's Vol 40 is Hydrogen Peroxide at 12%. I buy a gallon of 27% Hydrogen Peroxide at a pool supply in a very sturdy gallon container for about $16.00. I immediately dilute it with a gallon of water making 13.5% HP - just slightly stronger than the Sally's stuff. So final cost is $8 per gallon.

What does Sally's go for?

Just a couple of notes & precautions on peroxide.

We add a couple of necessary items to our 12% (40 vol) Liquid Brightener.

First is a stabilizer to maintain the strength of the peroxide in the field.

Second and most important is the penetrating agent to even out the spotting ability.

Last, we have the hi-power UV light to get out the really tough stains.

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&
keyword=gg8bl+or+fabric+brightener

These $1.50 chemical-resistant trigger sprayers will handle 12% peroxide:

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index...arch_in_description=1&keyword=Trigger+Sprayer

Larry

P.S. Be careful with 30%. That is getting close to rocket fuel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barry-QDCC

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
P.S. Be careful with 30%. That is getting close to rocket fuel.

I am careful with it. I dilute it immediately when I get it so I don't forget to do it later.

Larry when you say "maintain the strength of the peroxide" what does that mean? It can stay in a warm van longer?

How fast does HP lose strength?

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I am careful with it. I dilute it immediately when I get it so I don't forget to do it later.

Larry when you say "maintain the strength of the peroxide" what does that mean? It can stay in a warm van longer?

How fast does HP lose strength?

Go for some highlights and ask alot of questions while there : )

.Diluting it does so much more than you would think. You can turn 40 into 10 quick.
Don't waste a good thing.

Get friendly at the Salon brotha!

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
50 is Rocket Fuel Tex!

60 is Nuclear : )

Both Require a license to obtain here.

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
go to ace hardware and buy these quart pump up sprayers they handle perox for a while
we will use maybe 2 a year on a truck 10 bucks each

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Mikey, that was the most complete and informative post I have ever seen you write. Good job!

1. Used right after vacuuming on coffee, soda, urine and any other yellow, orange or light brown stains

2. 40 vol destroys trigger sprayers faster than any water based chem I know. The Spray Master silver bottle $7.99 ones last the longest. Save your wife's house cleaning sprayers too.

3.Enough to get the fiber swimming in it

4. See # 1. We will also reapply after rinsing if we saw a notable improvement and try and let it sit a while longer. NOW is a great time to work some Fels soap into the spot, pre lubed with 40 it will get nice and sudsy. Vibram agitator tool is a good idea if she aint watching, other wise use the bottom of your spray bottle.

4.1 Have a dingy worn Olefin or Polyester that still looks like crap after cleaning? If it's vacant or you make them fully aware of what you are about to do and give them some booties, you can mist the 40 over dull traffic lanes and just leave it to do it's magic. The area or areas will be noticeably brighter the next day. PLEASE use fully mature and good sound judgement when doing so. (Waldo please disregard 4.1)

4.2. Add it to your HF or pump up pre spray to boost cleaning performance. Brightens colors and whitens whites!

5. Do not mix. For every 4 trigger pulls of 40 add one pull of Ammonia. We typically only use the combination when we are leaving the solution behind to work on real stubborn coffee, blood or wiz stains that would not come out during our visit but we felt the delayed approach would work. Mist both on and cover with a sheet of plastic with instruction to leave it covered for at least 8 hours. Work the solutions in by rubbing the plastic. DO THIS ONLY ON POLY AND OLEFINS. 5th gen Nylons or above can be done as well but you'll need to explain the risk involved and perhaps get a signature. For every 20 Nylons you'll try this on one will over lighten a bit. In most cases the customer wont care because the stain is gone. Trail and error. How bad do you want to be a carpet cleaning super hero?

6. Wear gloves if you're of the delicate nature.
-Do not leave on cotton or wool.
-Carry a bottle of Distilled water on board to dilute the 40 if you want to go lite on Nylons, and naturals, cutting it to 20 or 10 volume is much safer.
-You can become an Upholstery Cleaning Super Hero on tough "permanent" water or other liquid stains on cotton by cleaning first then misting and mild agitation the ring and placing in the sun while you clean the rest of the piece or carpet. Usually in under a half hour in nice bright sun shine the toughest of rings vanishes. Rinse with an acid to remove the peroxide, otherwise it will continue to work and weaken the fabric.

7. Become a Supportive Member here.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Why does everyone use a trigger sprayer? I don't like the idea of making a mist out of that stuff, bad for lungs. I purchase 4 hole spout caps from larry and put them on a quart bottle. it sufficiently wets the area and minimizes the chance for overspray.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
Why does everyone use a trigger sprayer? I don't like the idea of making a mist out of that stuff, bad for lungs. I purchase 4 hole spout caps from larry and put them on a quart bottle. it sufficiently wets the area and minimizes the chance for overspray.

How would you use a 4 hole sprayer to brighten up a dingy hallway? (You are right about caution in breathing the mist.)

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Peroxide without stabilizers can lose half its strength in a week.

Just so cleaners understand what spotting cap Richard is using:

View attachment 3535
Fits on squeezable Quart & Pint poly containers (carafe).

Larry

Last edited:

John Olson

Name
John Olson
These threads never cease to amaze me. Just buy stain magic and stop playing chemist. You do not have a MSDS sheet for the chemical YOU just made nor are you using it as labeled. Yeah yeah no one has fined of sued you get but is the $5 your saving worth the risk. Makes zero sense. If your going to give bad advice please give all of it. Ignorance and luck are not an excuse when faced with serious penalties and or civil judgements. Other then That sure to ahead and become a chemical manufacturer.

FredC

Village Idiot
Olson is right...buy Cobb's dynachem brightener (40vol)...labeled for carpet cleaning and msds available

and pretty cheap too

Reactions: John Olson

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Olson is right...buy Cobb's dynachem brightener (40vol)...labeled for carpet cleaning and msds available

and pretty cheap too

to play devils advocate.....or rather the BDCC card....

ahhh but the shipping of that liquid.....

anyway...yes use gloves (rubber) when handling any type of pouring......got that shit on my cloth glove.....couldnt figure out why my thumb was itchy burny......lol.....white thumb.....rinsed off, and got new gloves....

FredC

Village Idiot
for me it was never about being a BDCC....it was about those perfectly measured hydroforce ready bottles....and Sally's being like 3 miles away

edit: but to be honest I never saw gallons at sallys.......so at the smaller volumes + tax + time +gas it wouldn't really be a saving over the ~$20 a gallon w/shipping it would cost me from Cobb

Edit 2; Just don't let him sell you any shytee products or convince you that his solvent based products are actually good for your health

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom