Repetitive Strain

R

R W

For you older, long time cleaners out there still cleaning on a daily basis.......do you ever get "wand arm"? That's what I call my aching upper arm, from the shoulder to the elbow. It's right side only......my wand trigger arm. Man, some nights and mornings it aches like hell, especially after heavy upholstery cleaning. I use wands all equipt with glides, but with the 2.5 system, I really notice the pain.

I know Jimmy and Marty will call me a sissy boy, and Danny, too, but it hurts. The pain diminishes directly proportionaly to the number of beers I drink at night.

How 'bout Bob V?? He's got a few years under his belt. Does it hurt, Bobby?

Greenie

Re: Wand Arm......

Slot glides add to it, and Hole glides take away with the 2.5 ...

Send one of the boys ahead with a vacuum, and charge an extra nickle so you can relax and have super dry rug.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

I used to get the tennis elbow and my shoulder wouldn't move without cracking. I am 37.
I swear to god when I got in my vehicle accident (I got rearended) things got better when I went to my chiropractor.
He worked on my back mainly of course but when I mentioned how bad my arm was, he adjusted it.
I dont know what he did, but now that I am back full time for about 6 months, I have had no problems.
I was using the green glide for 2 years prior at least and still got Wand arm so It wasn't like I was killing my self with lockdown or anything.

Try it out.
get a referral to a good Chiropractor or if you are in the Sacramento area ever, I will referr you to mine.

Jay D

Name
Jay D

No offense to the 2" Wand folks but I use to get a sore shoulder and hands from the 2" wands I used. I switched back to a 14" 1.5" wand with a 6' whip hose and my pain has subsided. I have tried Going back to the 2" wands but get the same soreness. I still Get great dry times with the geen glided wand i use. Just my Experience.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

Sorry but i've YET to see someone push correctly......

I crack up that those cleaning commercials on TV where they hire an actor ta push the wand...

cuz REAL carpet cleaners are too damm ugly!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

cleaning lots of upl is what cranks up my tendonidous.

wanding puts stress on my shoulders.
I learned years ago to wand both left and right handed.
learn to wand left handed, RW.
That will help.

also, similar to Brian's suggestion, go see a massotheripist.
two 30 minute treatments (one pr week) took care of much of my tendon pain

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

Most everybody pushes wit their arms...however the CORRECT position is arm locked and release the knee to let yor body weight push the wand.....all the work is done wit yor legs......

OK Larry........FIRE!!!!!!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

bob vawter said:
.all the work is done wit yor legs......

OK Larry........FIRE!!!!!!

yawn...
personally, I've never been able to get my toes to work the trigger right.
Worsor than that, when i try to get my other foot on the wand handle..
i fall on my azz......

Bob, your method still puts stress on the shoulders.
I'd guess that's where most of us long time wanders get hit the worst

..L.T.A.

TimP

I feel it mostly in my shoulders. Some in my lower back. But it takes a lot since I run a hole glide.

Doing upholstery my wrist becomes sore. I have weak wrists I suppose. I hate upholstery!!!

Over all if I get that busy it's hard to complain about the soreness with all the cash coming in.

John Buxton

yes I get pain in the shoulder. I've tried to wand left handed but just cant do anything left handed. Pain pills are all I know to help. Chiropractor helps my back. Need a hot tub.

John Watson

I have had a dull ache in my left sholder for the past 11 years, changing weather really sets it off. I think it is what they call burcitus??? Found out that I also have Gout on my left foot and ankle, now that is painful. But, I am tuff, if I ignore it maybe it will go away!!! :roll: :roll:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

I got a wand that i call "The SideWinder"...i cock the push handle a little to the left...as i always stand on the left side....works real well.....

OK larry...FIRE!!!!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

I cocked the handle to the left on my wand in the early years, Bob.

couldn't do that when i decided I needed to be able to wand right and left handed.

..L.T.A.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott

Maybe all you guys should get together and buy stock in bayer asprin!!!

Yeah i'm a young guy, but when i do upholstery my arm aches like it has a knife stuck in the rotor cuff. tore it some when i got in a car accident. I dont usually take any meds but have been thinking about it.

Bob Foster

I used to get it too and when I started taking Glucosomine tablets it stopped with in a couple of weeks. The stuff is cheap and available at Wally World. Seems to work well on all joints and around connective tissue.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

OK Larry...but either you move to the OTHER side of the wand OR you are PULLING the wand insteada pushin'....the wand?

Everyone knows that theres more power on a push stroke than a pull stroke.....RIGHT?

MerCrewser

sheesh.....

2.5 staight to a 2" greenhorn, no pain, just big muscles. I'm 5'9", 165 lbs 31 years old, been doing this since I was 14, always with a big truckmount. Good posture is very important.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

The Chiropractor helps with the posture also.
If I use my left arm does it feel like someone else is cleaning the carpet?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L

Bawb is correct about using the proper technique to push a wand.

Instead of using your arms you have to LEAN into and push using your legs .

In all the on line demos I've seen of people pushing a wand for the camera they have all been wrong. Especially the photo with LISA holding and pushing her wand totally on her side.

And she pulled the wand all the way up to her shoes.

WRONG

WRONG!

RW if I remember correctly you are short sumbitch and maybe you need some high heels to get your shoulders above the wand .

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning

MerCrewser said:
sheesh.....

2.5 staight to a 2" greenhorn, no pain, just big muscles. I'm 5'9", 165 lbs 31 years old, been doing this since I was 14, always with a big truckmount. Good posture is very important.

Exactly right. We are not accountants or software engineers. We kick ass all day. Ultimately, Wand Arm is a symptom of an improper strength level and biomechanics. Do shoulder shrugs and lat pulldowns and military presses as soon as you are able caredfully monitering your pain level. Switch arms evenly throughout the job to redistribute your muscles.
A decent shoulder injury can take over a year to heal.

Name
Ron lippold

well been up side down more than once in the legends race cars and go karts banged up the elbows real hard i get a pinched nerve every now and then, a good rub dow and a alignment every now and then takes care of it

G

Maybe,when I 1st started,but now its just my lower back so I am gonna get an inversion table and try it out.

Kevin

and what he meant was he wouid like to see you in a pair of high heels :lol:

Jay D

Name
Jay D

Excercise? Now thats a concept. The Itis brothers are tearable, you know Arthur Itis, Burs Itis and Tendon Itis. Oh the pain.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny

Have had tendonitis in both forearms for almost three years. Rigid "Band-It" bands help. RXing and using the uph tool irritate the condition.

Greenie is building a wand for me and I'll get the new Drimaster or SW uph tool as soon as I can determine which is the best. Any opinion on the best uph tool?

Rex Tyus

There is much excellent advice on this topic. I would like to reiterate Cleaning with both sides as Larry said. This is great advice. It not only extend the life of your joints it is more effecient also.

Technique is critcal aswell. Knees bent slightly shoulders upright not hunched over to take the pressure off the lower back and shoulders.

I find Bob's glucosomine also beneficial even if only in my head.

Upholstery don't bother me. I have grown to enjoy it.

G

Drymaster sounds best for you,I would say most of it from your trigger.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

Trigger finger fatique...is a problem that is solved wit a proper wand valve.......if yous dummies would listen to me an try a ParaPlate SS valve....you'd unnerstand......

of course i see how spending $140.00 on a wand valve MIGHT stress ya out....

I know of THREE people that are trying my GREEN masking walk paper out right now....any reports back yet?

Rex Tyus

bob vawter said:
Trigger finger fatique...is a problem that is solved wit a proper wand valve.......if yous dummies would listen to me an try a ParaPlate SS valve....you'd unnerstand......

of course i see how spending $140.00 on a wand valve MIGHT stress ya out....

I know of THREE people that are trying my GREEN masking walk paper out right now....any reports back yet?

The paraplate has quality issues in my opinion. The price is not the deterent. If it were a better valve it would be worth it. It is quick to leak, it is more difficult to trigger than the soft touch I use from Greenglides, the replacement stem cost more than a complete new soft touch valve. Not a "smart buy". Less performance at a higher cost. :roll:

Or do you just say things like that to get attention?

Back
Top Bottom