really pissed off my competitor today

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I thought I had turned over a new leaf. Be nice to my competitors, shake their hands and say hello when we are cleaning across the street from each other.

Did jiust that today. Forgot that I recently took a property management firm away from this guy and I was at one of the properties. Started asking him about business, see if he did commercial work. See what he charged for residential. He said he would have to see the place. I pointed inside and said "this place"

This is blank property mgmnt?

Yes

None of your business

And he walked out.

I called him, told him sorry I wasn't trying to pump him for info, I just wanted to know if he still wanted all the customers I was sending his way when they said I charged too much.

He said that was of no use to him, wanted to know what I charged. I told him, he said he was only mad because I took his biggest account and didn't know why. I said it was because I helped them out of a jam and I think in the end it came down to the quality of the work.

"Yeah right! Like you're better than me! Kiss my ass pal! And don't ever call here again you jackass!"

Sorry. I guess I handled that wrong.

Do you guys bother talking with your competitors or do you just wave?

TimP

I gotta say you kinda asked for it. I mean that was a lot of money that he lost. And not to mention to throw it in his face that he lost it cause of his work.

I sure there may of been a better way. I'd probably lie for the reasons just to not piss the guy off, but that's just me.

Anyway you're not always gonna be friends with the competition so don't worry about it. I know I don't worry about my competitors, I try to keep up to date about what they do. But I'm not in the business to charge less than them, nor do lower quality work if I can help it.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Me an' Ken got the one finger salute...

i think he was telling me that i'm...
number one!

thanks Ken!!

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
do you feel better Gary? I have done similar things to people when I was in a bad place, but I always felt like crap after. No win for anybody but a short term ego boost to treat someone like that.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I wasn't trying to be a dick. It just never occured to me he thought he was a good cleaner. I thought he knew he was a middle of the road cleaner. People get a decent job done for the money and he doesn't try to rip them off or hack anything out. He just does an ok job for a lower price.

F

FB7777

in your own words, you responded that you believe the customer chose you over the quality of his work compared to your bosses company

did you expect him to accept that insult without some kind of animosity?

I don't care one way or another how you conduct yourself with fellow local cleaners but if you can't see that you were being a dick then you are bit dense

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Billings mt has forty carpet cleaners some of which are multi truck.

I just started my van up to realize dude jacked the pressure on my machine to 850 PSI as he walked away. This was before I said anything about the quaity of his work compared to mine. All I asked is wht he charged at that point.

TimP

B&BGaryC said:
I just started my van up to realize dude jacked the pressure on my machine to 850 PSI as he walked away.

Good thing you run a greenhorn

G

are you really this big of a dip-shit

no cant be

you just tellin a story to get some attention

G

I would like to believe in my heart that no one in this world is that dense

Jimbo

"I wasn't trying to be a dick."

Sometimes it just comes natural, Gary Carstains

If I were you, I'd figure out that Montana probably has the highest armed citizen rate in the country...and be a tad bit nicer to folks...otherwise Kharma might just bite you in the ass.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
you where a dick
i had a guy do that to me a few months back, took a prop from me by offering his dog and pony show...his payback was that i took one of his better paying props and took back the one he tried to get ...but i do let him still do his 25buck offer on rat nasty,s ( if he cant get the carpet to rentable they only pay him 25bucks and are "supposed" to change the carpet )(he,s out about $200 avg on these jobs)

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
C Pennington said:
I pissed mine off too...I hired 2 of there techs.
No you didn't. They're laughing that you got them now!

Gary, you'll have to learn the fine art of tact.
I've talked to other cleaners in town, I'm always riding their ass about vacuuming. Some know how much I charge. They keep saying they do the same job for less. I keep trying to tell them of the new stuff, bring em up to speed.

Torn

Name
Chris Thomas
rhyde said:
bob vawter said:
Gordon said:
are you really this big of a dip-shit

no cant be

you just tellin a story to get some attention

you must be new!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sometimes work comes and it goes. Sometimes relationships come and sometimes they go as well. I allways try to live by the golden rule. What comes around goes around. I try and not play the asshole card until I'm left with no choice. Never kick a Man when he's down for no reason.

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
I usually give them the Hawiian love sign! :lol: Just kidding!! :mrgreen: A client from one of my competitors yesterday called me as he didn't show up :shock: for a job that she had all of her furniture moved out. :shock: So, went and cleaned for her and now she is a Stay Beautiful client! :D Steve Torburon says the value of a client in a lifetime is around $38,500. Guess my competitor lost out on a lot of money!! :shock:

rick imby

Name
Rick
Doug D said:
I usually give them the Hawiian love sign! :lol: Just kidding!! :mrgreen: A client from one of my competitors yesterday called me as he didn't show up :shock: for a job that she had all of her furniture moved out. :shock: So, went and cleaned for her and now she is a Stay Beautiful client! :D Steve Torburon says the value of a client in a lifetime is around $38,500. Guess my competitor lost out on a lot of money!! :shock:

So each of the Carpet cleaners in Spearfish have a customer now? Didn't you mean to say My competitor's only customer called today?

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
rick imby said:
[quote="Doug D":2o4u1lgn]I usually give them the Hawiian love sign! :lol: Just kidding!! :mrgreen: A client from one of my competitors yesterday called me as he didn't show up :shock: for a job that she had all of her furniture moved out. :shock: So, went and cleaned for her and now she is a Stay Beautiful client! :D Steve Torburon says the value of a client in a lifetime is around $38,500. Guess my competitor lost out on a lot of money!! :shock:

So each of the Carpet cleaners in Spearfish have a customer now? Didn't you mean to say My competitor's only customer called today?[/quote:2o4u1lgn]

Spearfish must be like Missoula!! :lol:

Able 1

Name
Keith
I pissed one off today also... It was one of those $10 per room guys so I really don't consider them competition but it was funny as hell to me. So I cleaned the whole upstairs/hall and the stairs and I was working on the FR and I heard the doorbell ring. I heard this guy say to my custy "I'm here to clean your carpets". She said to him "I cancelled the day it was scheduled because the guys were an hour late" (the day they cleaned the airducts) Just then I remembered are conversation when she hired me she said "they cleaned the ducts and they were going to use the same equipment to clean our carpets!" I looked out the window at his "ride" was an 89' S-10 with rust all over it. :shock: I really don't know why the guy didn't just keep driving when he saw me working I sure the hell would have... We had a great laugh over the whole thing, Heres there ad:
021.jpg

Back
Top Bottom