Pretty New to the Game

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Steam does ruin carpets! :clap: ;) BTW. Welcome to the Board Josh.
NO SIR!

Poorly Trained technicians ruin carpet.

Your method of cleaning is not recommend by any major carpet manufacture except Fabrica and then they ultimately say use HWE for restoration in their care information.

The Carpet and Rug Institute recommends HWE cleaning for the maintenance of carpet.

That's fine that you want to run your business by encaping everything.

I know you are an honest guy and try to run a good business with fair practices.

Seriously all the largest flooring manufactures and their professional arm the CRI tell us different. People with huge organizations and millions invested in testing and development of these products.

I will be with Shaw this week I'll ask if they think runing a buffer over the carpet is a great way to care for their product. I also check about pouring dry compound into the fibers and then sweeping it out.

Do what you want but when a new guy comes here who truly needs help Lead the guy in the right direction not in direct opposition of the entire flooring industry.

If someone is going to call themselves a professional how can you not take the manufactures recommendation for care?

Josh I would be happy to help. Welcome.

Feel free to call me.

Last edited:

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I've been looking into that and definitely see the opportunity. I'm going to the ICE expo in las Vegas this month to learn more. I appreciate you taking the time to speak with me
Go to the Jon Don booth ask for Bill Yeadon.
He is by far one of the top 3 guys you should know in this industry. He is the director of Training and does work for most major carpet manufactures testing products, being called in for consultation on proper cleaning methods.
Tell him the boys at MB sent you.

tres davis

Name
tres
Dry poo, foam, encap or whatever

I'm not knocking any method although we do hwe and it's my preferred method for my own home.

Just from a business side, you are wasting your money on a portable if you are educating and selling your clients on dry cleaning.

If you then buy a TM (which you stated you wanted), you would have to re-educate/sell them on why you changed your mind and think it's a better method.

I don't knock anyone if they want to start a biz and can only afford to encap. Just don't shoot yourself in the foot for future growth into hwe by knocking it and sending mixed signals to customers

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
NO SIR!

Poorly Trained technicians ruin carpet.

Your method of cleaning is not recommend by any major carpet manufacture except Fabrica and then they ultimately say use HWE for restoration in their care information.

The Carpet and Rug Institute recommends HWE cleaning for the maintenance of carpet.

That's fine that you want to run your business by encaping everything.

I know you are an honest guy and try to run a good business with fair practices.

Seriously all the largest flooring manufactures and their professional arm the CRI tell us different. People with huge organizations and millions invested in testing and development of these products.

I will be with Shaw this week I'll ask if they think runing a buffer over the carpet is a great way to care for their product. I also check about pouring dry compound into the fibers and then sweeping it out.

Do what you want but when a new guy comes here who truly needs help Lead the guy in the right direction not in direct opposition of the entire flooring industry.

If someone is going to call themselves a professional how can you not take the manufactures recommendation for care?

Josh I would be happy to help. Welcome.

Feel free to call me.

That started off as a joke. I have no problem with HWE or or straight up Steam Cleaning. :)

But since you went there... If I wanted to start my own institute that required people to pay me to promote that their cleaning process was the best, I'm sure I could begin to get carpet manufactures to say VLM cleaning was the best method. (Many do BTW). I respect your opinion and advice on here Tom, and I know you are a veteran of the industry, I myself being a newbie, do listen to it, most of it.

Yet when it comes to you saying to be a professional you have to use HWE, I highly disagree. I don't think I have ever seen someone post ACTUAL results from testing of HWE VS. VLM/Encap Cleaning. Can you please share these proven tests you have, I would like to read.

And Josh... everything depends on the cleaning results you provide and customer service. When people tell you your cleaning process won't work, or isn't good, you can say the same thing back to them. So many HWE cleaners leave carpets soaking wet (which is dirty water sitting in a customers home), tons of residue, crunchy stiff carpet, etc. And then there are those that don't. Just like many "dry foam" "VLM/Encap" "Dry Compound Cleaners" will leave residue in carpet, overspray to keep carpet soaking wet, etc. AND then there's those that don't.

Reactions: Mikey P

tres davis

Name
tres
Not trying to be an ass. Just think about it. If you could choose any option to clean your socks/underwear(disregard price), what would be your preferred method?
Washing machine
Rinse in sink by hand and hang dry
Take them to the dry cleaners

It's the same with carpet in your home. If you can afford to use the washing machine, it's going to get more dirt and chemicals out. If you have to use a sink (porty), then do your best to get it clean. You can get it just as clean it just takes more time and effort.
Dry cleaning your underwear would be fine for a while but at some point your ass would get kind of itchy and your underwear would get a little stiff and you would be heading to the laundromat

Encap is awesome in certain applications and I never knock it if that's all you have the capabilities to do. Just don't try to say that it's better. We are all in the same industry. Get stuff clean. Forget about method and just sell clean.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
If there was another method tres that cleaned my socks better, I would clean them that way. No one said it was better. Both can equally clean JUST as good. My point exactly - provide excellent cleaning with great customer service - run a successful company. If I was to listen to every negative comment on here about the way someone cleans on here.. I would have been demotivated back in 2013 when I signed up.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
P.S. there's no me winning this as always with a board full of HWE cleaners. So that'll be my last post on that, until I can see those proven results. :headbang:

tres davis

Name
tres
I don't want you to post on which is better. Just agree and give him advice to sell clean and not knock one method or the other in his marketing.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Mikey P

Administrator
you method bashers could use a lesson from Papa John..

“Hello, my name is John Stewart, the owner of Healthy Choice Carpet Cleaners. In 1989 I started cleaning carpets and upholstery using the standard methods, however in those early years I began to notice that the cleaning chemicals used in the industry were making me sick. After further research I also discovered that the chemicals used in the industry caused cancer. After extensive research through medical documents and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) I found a better way to clean carpets that would be safer for the environment and healthier for my clients. I changed the methods I used and the name of the company to Healthy Choice Carpet Cleaners in 1995.

When I first changed my business model to one that was healthy and safe I was ridiculed by the competition and my suppliers. Now over 18 years later the competition is still trying to copy the Healthy Choice Method. The competition is failing however since they have not learned the one trade secret that I learned in the beginning. Sorry, that trade secret will never be disclosed.”

"Baby Wipes vs. a Shower?"
In an effort to be “Green”, would you ever consider using just baby wipes to cleanse your body? Would you dine at a restaurant that only uses baby wipes to wash the dirty dishes in an effort to be “Green”? Of course not! Well the shocking truth is- that is exactly how most “Green” carpet cleaning companies are cleaning your carpets and rugs.

Today in order to be considered “Green” in the cleaning industry means: To conserve natural resources. That means that “green” cleaning companies must conserve water. If a cleaning company uses chemicals instead of water, then this is considered “green”: which in turn means to leave behind more contaminates and chemicals in the home; just like the baby wipes example.

When I originally changed my business model back in 1995 to be the first Green cleaner in San Francisco, “green” meant terms like wholesome, pure, natural and free of harsh or cancer causing chemicals. But the term “Green” in the cleaning Industry has been hijacked and is NOT what the consumer thinks it is. “Green” Cleaning is unhealthy and exposes people to more chemicals.

Dr. Michael Berry, the lead investigator for a 4yr long study conducted by the EPA, on the health effects of carpet cleaning to the occupants, had this to say about the “Green” movement: “It is not Science based and has morphed to the point of being idiotic” So give us a call if your carpets could use a “shower” or your rugs need a “bath”. Don't worry— your carpets will dry fast with our advanced powerful equipment.

We invite you to learn more about our methods and the benefits of maintaining clean carpets in your home. We also encourage you to check us out on Yelp and see our reviews.We hope to see you soon, try our new online scheduling service.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
My point is do you even look at what the manufactures recommend?

This argument always goes to paying someone for a certification. No one is paying the carpet mills to say we recommend Hot water extraction by a professional. They say it because they have tested it and know it works.

I have heard this line of thinking since I found these boards 7 years ago. No other industry I know of thinks like this. Hey I will just make up my own standards. My Doctor doesn't practice like that, nor does my accountant, my financial advisor, my lawn fertilizer service, or even my mechanic. Professionals look to the industry protocol, standards or guidelines. They all have state testing, federal laws and certification.

This industry just wants to say hey if you think it works or it's the cheapest way to go have at it. Just because it's cheap does not make the right way to start. Professionals strive to bring higher standards to their industry and require more of their peers for the benefit of the trade.

That is not what is happening when you refer to manufactures care recommendations.

That is the point the manufactures care recommendations. Not a carpet cleaners opinion.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
The largest manufacture of carpet in the USA says....
This straight from their web site

Shaws choice: Hot water extraction

Research indicates that the hot water extraction system provides the best capability for cleaning. This system is commonly referred to as "steam cleaning," although no steam is actually generated. The process consists of applying a cleaning agent into the carpet pile and using water in the extractor to recover the used solution and soil. This can be done from a truck-mounted unit outside the home with only the hose and wand brought inside or by a portable system brought into the home.

Shaw warranties require that the homeowner be able to show proof of periodic cleaning by hot water extraction (commonly called "steam" cleaning) by a professional cleaning service or do-it-yourself system, using equipment that is certified under the Carpet and Rug Institute's Seal of Approval program. We strongly recommend cleaning systems that have achieved the Gold Level Performance in the CRI Seal of Approval Program. Click here for a list of Gold Level Performers.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler
Back
Top Bottom