Portable Unit

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Question: Can I run the Chief II diesel in a NON-diesel vehicle? If I have to carry propane for the chief ii, might as well carry diesel instead and get the extra heat. Can I have a diesel reservoir and run in on a normal gas vehicle? Or, do I have to have a diesel van?
Also, would carrying diesel instead of propane, create any other complexities?

you can use an 5-9 gal boat tank
But diesel stinks .
Stick with gas engine and propane heat

180k BTU propane burner will get you plenty hot water*.
likely as much or more than most direct drive TMs (Cleanco, Hydramaster, Butler. etc)

1) First question sounds dumb, but it's a genuine question for someone new to the industry. The previous poster mentioned 800 psi's as the maximum pressure capacity of the heater. Does the heater not heat the water up, only?

heats water only, the reason the PSI rating is important to know, is the heater is down stream of the pump
(meaning everything from pump outlet to wand is pressurized)
so the heater plumbing needs rated to the max psi you plan to run on tile

*"plenty heat" for any carpet...more than enough
Tile?....my very limited experience with tile, plenty for any normal res cleaning.
donno about wide open floor spinner on chithole restaurant kitchens, truck stops and fast food joints

..L.T.A.

Reactions: alexcarpets

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
The main complaint I see on diesel is the operator smells like diesel exhaust at the end of the day. I say go with whatever has eaiest access to keep your tank filled
Yea, I don't think my family and friends would like me hanging around them too much if I smell like diesel... LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: BIG WOOD

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
you can use an 5-9 gal boat tank
But diesel stinks .
Stick with gas engine and propane heat

180k BTU propane burner will get you plenty hot water*.
likely as much or more than most direct drive TMs (Cleanco, Hydramaster, Butler. etc)

heats water only, the reason the PSI rating is important to know, is the heater is down stream of the pump
(meaning everything from pump outlet to wand is pressurized)
so the heater plumbing needs rated to the max psi you plan to run on tile

*"plenty heat" for any carpet...more than enough
Tile?....my very limited experience with tile, plenty for any normal res cleaning.
donno about wide open floor spinner on chithole restaurant kitchens, truck stops and fast food joints

..L.T.A.
Agreed, based on what you and others have shared.... I will avoid the diesel. I will likely go with the Chief II and ask the guy to also install the propane tanks as well.

As for the second point, you mentioned the heater is downstream from the pump. So the water is pressured, and then goes through the heater? I thought it was the other way around and I was mistaken. Can you please help me understand why I wouldn't want the water heated, and then pressurized to go down the hose and out the wand?

On the final point you mentioned, how much hot water will the floor spinner consume for this machine to not be able to keep up with it? Is the gpm flow super high?

Edit: Question: On the Chief II, what PSI does the solution pump pressurize to?

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Agreed, based on what you and others have shared.... I will avoid the diesel. I will likely go with the Chief II and ask the guy to also install the propane tanks as well.

As for the second point, you mentioned the heater is downstream from the pump. So the water is pressured, and then goes through the heater? I thought it was the other way around and I was mistaken. Can you please help me understand why I wouldn't want the water heated, and then pressurized to go down the hose and out the wand?

On the final point you mentioned, how much hot water will the floor spinner consume for this machine to not be able to keep up with it? Is the gpm flow super high?

Edit: Question: On the Chief II, what PSI does the solution pump pressurize to?
The water pump has pressure seals in it that are only able to hold a certain temp before they melt. That heater would damage the seals in the pump

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
why I wouldn't want the water heated

what Woody said
If not mistaken, the highest temp pump seals are 180 degrees

as far as spinner flow, I don't know what their GPM (gal per minute) usage is (and changes contingent on higher/lower psi )
I do know on wide open large chitpits, you can be on the trigger continuously for longer periods of time

nevertheless, 180 BTU is considered a big burner.
don't sweat it being too small

..L.T.A.

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
what Woody said
If not mistaken, the highest temp pump seals are 180 degrees

as far as spinner flow, I don't know what their GPM (gal per minute) usage is (and changes contingent on higher/lower psi )
I do know on wide open large chitpits, you can be on the trigger continuously for longer periods of time

nevertheless, 180 BTU is considered a big burner.
don't sweat it being too small

..L.T.A.
Sounds good! Would you happen to know on the Chief II, what PSI does the solution pump pressurize to?

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Are the terms "water pump" and "solution pump" used interchangeably to refer to the same thing? For example, the Hydramaster Max 470 says it has a "water pump" (Cat Pump, 4.2 gpm, 1000 PSI operating pressure), whereas the Chief II list a General EPHT Series 1810S "solution pump" (3.1 GPM and rated to 2000 PSI). Are the two referring to the same thing?

Reactions: BIG WOOD

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
So I just learned about the El Diablo Kerosene powered. What is the concensus on that? Are they good, reliable, units? How do they compare to the Chief II? Also, I've never worked with Kerosene.... What should I know? On paper, the price and specs look good but I'd love to hear from forum members.

Thank you,

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I've never worked with Kerosene

I have.
Have run both kero and propane

Kero was less a PITA to find/fill most anywhere/any time (most all the Sheets stations carry K1 year round)
You could also burn diesel if needed that every station has (but it stinks like hell compared to K1)

Propane burners are more reliable as there are less components to make it fire
Propane is also cleaner

..L.T.A.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
So I just learned about the El Diablo Kerosene powered. What is the concensus on that? Are they good, reliable, units? How do they compare to the Chief II? Also, I've never worked with Kerosene.... What should I know? On paper, the price and specs look good but I'd love to hear from forum members.

Thank you,
Kerosene smells only slightly less than Diesel

scotty747

I run 3 gallons of Diesel and 1 of Kero. Thins it out a bit and smokes less. The fuel pressure, if it has adjustable pressure, and the air need to be adjusted just right or it will smoke you out with either black smoke or white. One too lean, one too rich. I have my heater out the back door so it doesn't stink the van up as much. I'm also probably just used to it.

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
I run 3 gallons of Diesel and 1 of Kero. Thins it out a bit and smokes less. The fuel pressure, if it has adjustable pressure, and the air need to be adjusted just right or it will smoke you out with either black smoke or white. One too lean, one too rich. I have my heater out the back door so it doesn't stink the van up as much. I'm also probably just used to it.
You mean the back door just open during operation, or an actual cutout for ventilation?

scotty747

CDS. Heater and hoses out the back. Easier to step up in the side of the van than the back. Just don't leave your emergency toilet paper in the back door in the rain. Boy was my brother pissed.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Hello,

I am looking at starting up my own cleaning business and like any business, cash is tight. I'm looking for a good portable unit, and hopefully from there I can grow the business into a TM. Here are a few things I'd like to consider:

i.) I want the portable unit to be an investment, so when (hopefully!) I get into the TM, I can still use the portable for high rise units. In other words, I'd like to get something that'll grow with the business.

ii.) I will be doing carpet, tile, and upholstery, so a machine that can do both carpets and hard surfaces (tile) would be ideal.

iii.) Reliability/Serviceable - Obviously, I'd be looking at a name brand that is reliable and won't be breaking down every day so long as it's properly maintained. In the event that it is, I would like for the unit to be serviceable in South Florida, where I live.

These are factors I'm considering but with the wealth of knowledge on the forums, I would welcome any other points that should be considered. With that said, what would be some good portable options to provide the great heat, suction power, and reliability for what I'm looking for?

Thank you all!
Alex
Hey Alex
I started with porty 30yrs ago, bought a used tm 2.5 yrs later, been using TM ever since with the occasional porty job. One thing I realized in hindsight, there are very few good porty cleaners. And there is a big need for them in high rises and some jobs where security requires doors to be locked, so no TM can access it. You can market to these places and not have much competition. And lots of work in Condos, if your city has lots of highrises, and can charge a good price because its limited access and few good cleaners.

If you get the porty with the new LX motors in them, they have great vacuum. Have a CRB and good chems, not much you can't clean, even if you had to clean with low moisture.

something to consider

Mikey P

Administrator
Hey Alex
I started with porty 30yrs ago, bought a used tm 2.5 yrs later, been using TM ever since with the occasional porty job. One thing I realized in hindsight, there are very few good porty cleaners. And there is a big need for them in high rises and some jobs where security requires doors to be locked, so no TM can access it. You can market to these places and not have much competition. And lots of work in Condos, if your city has lots of highrises, and can charge a good price because its limited access and few good cleaners.

If you get the porty with the new LX motors in them, they have great vacuum. Have a CRB and good chems, not much you can't clean, even if you had to clean with low moisture.

something to consider

Welcome back Ron

I've talked to Foster recently, I hope he's right behind you...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom