Portable Unit

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Hello,

I am looking at starting up my own cleaning business and like any business, cash is tight. I'm looking for a good portable unit, and hopefully from there I can grow the business into a TM. Here are a few things I'd like to consider:

i.) I want the portable unit to be an investment, so when (hopefully!) I get into the TM, I can still use the portable for high rise units. In other words, I'd like to get something that'll grow with the business.

ii.) I will be doing carpet, tile, and upholstery, so a machine that can do both carpets and hard surfaces (tile) would be ideal.

iii.) Reliability/Serviceable - Obviously, I'd be looking at a name brand that is reliable and won't be breaking down every day so long as it's properly maintained. In the event that it is, I would like for the unit to be serviceable in South Florida, where I live.

These are factors I'm considering but with the wealth of knowledge on the forums, I would welcome any other points that should be considered. With that said, what would be some good portable options to provide the great heat, suction power, and reliability for what I'm looking for?

Thank you all!
Alex

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Hello,

I am looking at starting up my own cleaning business and like any business, cash is tight. I'm looking for a good portable unit, and hopefully from there I can grow the business into a TM. Here are a few things I'd like to consider:

i.) I want the portable unit to be an investment, so when (hopefully!) I get into the TM, I can still use the portable for high rise units. In other words, I'd like to get something that'll grow with the business.

ii.) I will be doing carpet, tile, and upholstery, so a machine that can do both carpets and hard surfaces (tile) would be ideal.

iii.) Reliability/Serviceable - Obviously, I'd be looking at a name brand that is reliable and won't be breaking down every day so long as it's properly maintained. In the event that it is, I would like for the unit to be serviceable in South Florida, where I live.

These are factors I'm considering but with the wealth of knowledge on the forums, I would welcome any other points that should be considered. With that said, what would be some good portable options to provide the great heat, suction power, and reliability for what I'm looking for?

Thank you all!
Alex
There are a lot of things to consider. If it's going to be your only machine, you have to be able to get it up and down stairs easily. Portables with pumps capable of cleaning tile, (1200 psi) are heavy and lack vacuum. Better off to scrub tiles and rinse them in my opinion. Look for a machine with a 500 psi pump, 2-3 stage vacuums, no heat.

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
There are a lot of things to consider. If it's going to be your only machine, you have to be able to get it up and down stairs easily. Portables with pumps capable of cleaning tile, (1200 psi) are heavy and lack vacuum. Better off to scrub tiles and rinse them in my opinion. Look for a machine with a 500 psi pump, 2-3 stage vacuums, no heat.

Not to sound greedy, I wouldn't want to sacrifice vacuum, and tile would be an important component of the business. If that's the trade off, I'm wondering if I should pivot, take out a loan, and grab a TM instead?

hogjowl

Idiot™
It’s almost always a good investment to start out with a TM if you can swing it, but if you have to start small then go with the standard 500 psi portable and pick up a small steam machine to help with grout.
IMG_1487.png

The flat mop head shown in the picture is worthless but it comes with a good grout tool.

Reactions: Nomad74

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Not to sound greedy, I wouldn't want to sacrifice vacuum, and tile would be an important component of the business. If that's the trade off, I'm wondering if I should pivot, take out a loan, and grab a TM instead?
There are lots of ways to clean tile rather than blasting it with high pressure. You can pick up a floor machine used for $150-$500. Scrub a tile floor with it, use a pole brush for stubborn grout staining, then rinse with a hard surface tool. A truck mount is much easier to use for residential but you have to factor in the cost.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
FYI, I have a King Cobra 1200 psi with carpet cleaning ability with heat. I also have a PEX 500 PSI with high and low heat. Without question if I only had one, the PEX is it. Easy
to maneuver in any situation including up stairs. You could build a business with it alone, especially if you add a CRB with it. Truckmounts certainly have their place, especially in residential. I have 2. If you’re just doing residential, an entry level truckmount should be your goal. I hope this helps some. Opinions are like assholes and elbows, everybody’s got one😄

scotty747

I have the king cobra with heat. Saw 2 crbs and a floor buffer on the state surplus. Went there and it was 2 pallets of stuff. Rx-20, 6 portables, 2 prochem spotting machines etc. All for under 300.00 bucks. I'v never even tried the Cobra. The smaller one was my first porty. I thought it was awesome at the time.

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
It’s almost always a good investment to start out with a TM if you can swing it, but if you have to start small then go with the standard 500 psi portable and pick up a small steam machine to help with grout.

The flat mop head shown in the picture is worthless but it comes with a good grout tool.
I appreciate you sharing that, and it's definitely an option. After having some discussions, I think I'm gonna have to just take out a loan and grab a TM.

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
There are lots of ways to clean tile rather than blasting it with high pressure. You can pick up a floor machine used for $150-$500. Scrub a tile floor with it, use a pole brush for stubborn grout staining, then rinse with a hard surface tool. A truck mount is much easier to use for residential but you have to factor in the cost.
Thank you for sharing. You are correct.

Reactions: Cleanworks

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
FYI, I have a King Cobra 1200 psi with carpet cleaning ability with heat. I also have a PEX 500 PSI with high and low heat. Without question if I only had one, the PEX is it. Easy
to maneuver in any situation including up stairs. You could build a business with it alone, especially if you add a CRB with it. Truckmounts certainly have their place, especially in residential. I have 2. If you’re just doing residential, an entry level truckmount should be your goal. I hope this helps some. Opinions are like assholes and elbows, everybody’s got one😄
That's helpful to know ; Thank you! The two TM's that you have, what kind are they if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to figure out slide-in vs. direct drive, which particular brand/model would work best for South Florida, and something that is both reliable and provides good heat and suction.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
My units are Hydramaster slide-ins, just because that was the fit for me. Heck, you can find all kinds of pre-owned units online that won’t break the bank while you’re growing. I’m not a daily carpet cleaner, so I have what fit my needs. One of my units heat exchanger is out, so I’m looking to replace it.
That’s why I know what’s out there. It’s like going to the candy store.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Butler's, Cleanco's, Hydramaster's PTO units are pretty reliable if they've been looked after. Not uncommon to see a rusted out 20 year old van with one of these units still running well after 10,000 hours. Air cooled slide ins are less reliable and the engines typically go between 3000-4000 hours. Liquid cooled slide ins are typically larger and heavier but more reliable than their air cooled counter parts. Buying used, it all comes down to how it was looked after. Best overall pto unit is a Butler. Best pto that will leave space in the van for other things is the Cleanco. The PTO that will leave the most space in the van is the Hydramaster.

Reactions: Bryce C

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
I just started a carpet and upholstery cleaning business with my wife. We scored a lightly used PEX 500 off of FB Marketplace at a great price. I've only rented a machine previously so this is my first portable and I don't have much experience to base it off of, but man the PEX 500 is awesome. What a sweet setup. Pretty light and maneuverable too considering it's utility.

Reactions: Cleanworks

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Butler's, Cleanco's, Hydramaster's PTO units are pretty reliable if they've been looked after. Not uncommon to see a rusted out 20 year old van with one of these units still running well after 10,000 hours. Air cooled slide ins are less reliable and the engines typically go between 3000-4000 hours. Liquid cooled slide ins are typically larger and heavier but more reliable than their air cooled counter parts. Buying used, it all comes down to how it was looked after. Best overall pto unit is a Butler. Best pto that will leave space in the van for other things is the Cleanco. The PTO that will leave the most space in the van is the Hydramaster.
I really appreciate your input. All three brands are solid. One of the factors I'd like to consider is serviceability. I live in South Florida, which brand can be easily serviced here? I've heard that Butler, while a great unit, can result in lengthy service times as a result of parts needing to be shipped from Ohio (...not sure if this is true... just what I've heard).
I'll likely be going new as the van will for sure be used. I'm thinking of the Hydramaster cds 4.8 with Salsa, but that temp on that max's out at 240 at the machine. I'm not sure if that's enough? I was watching this youtube video the other day and the gentleman was getting great results in a restaurant setting. I asked him what temp he was getting and he said his Butler unit was doing 270 at the machine. What do you recommend?
Also, is the CDS 4.8 w/Salsa from Hydramaster air cooled or liquid cooled?

Edit: I just realized, with the CDS, there is no "cooling" per se, correct? Since it's running of the vehicles engine?

Last edited:

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Make CERTAIN it’s a TM that will generate at least 1000 psi of (at the tool) pressure, or you’ll still need the steamer.
I'm thinking of this unit. Thoughts?

Edit: The CDS is 1200psi.... how do I figure out if I'll have min. 1000psi at the tool?

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
Here is a self awareness/ assessment test you should take before jumping in...

The realities of owning a cleaning business.
  • Costs involved for the first five years, odo you have a source of income to take care of you/your family while the business grows? All in on new equipment can exceed $120k
  • Seasonal work in certain locations, what will you do for income in the slow months?
  • Personality assessment- Are you a people person built for residential work or are you a recluse better suited for commercial work?,
  • Home or office/shop? Where will you keep your work vehicle in the winter?
  • “Start with the end game in mind” business planning, are you able?
  • Are you handy with tools or will you be hiring a mechanic?
  • How’s your chemistry knowledge?
  • How’s your back, shoulders and joints?
  • Do you want to fly solo or hire help, and all the realities behind both choices.
  • Identification skills, some can, some can’t, which are you?

Most men should ask their wives or mothers to answer for them...

Mikey P

Administrator
If you can confidently pass that test,

You all enjoy the benefits of being a “Carpet Cleaner”

• Be your own boss in a highly demanded service industry.
  • Strong industry community support.
  • A single truck operation can gross up 300k to 400K a year with very little overhead compared to similar services
  • Control of your schedule.
  • Immediate satisfaction and sense of a job well done.
  • A strong sense of belonging and purpose in your local community.
  • A great career for those who can’t stand still and enjoy working with their hands.
  • By offering Multi-Surface services, you’ll establish a company with very few to no competitors.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I really appreciate your input. All three brands are solid. One of the factors I'd like to consider is serviceability. I live in South Florida, which brand can be easily serviced here? I've heard that Butler, while a great unit, can result in lengthy service times as a result of parts needing to be shipped from Ohio (...not sure if this is true... just what I've heard).
I'll likely be going new as the van will for sure be used. I'm thinking of the Hydramaster cds 4.8 with Salsa, but that temp on that max's out at 240 at the machine. I'm not sure if that's enough? I was watching this youtube video the other day and the gentleman was getting great results in a restaurant setting. I asked him what temp he was getting and he said his Butler unit was doing 270 at the machine. What do you recommend?

Edit: I just realized, with the CDS, there is no "cooling" per se, correct? Since it's running of the vehicles engine?
Be careful of exaggerated claims of heat. No PTO units are getting 270 degrees. PTO units with blower heat exchangers get 220-240 max heat. Which is plenty. Extreme heat units can be dangerous and will cause your hoses and fittings to fail prematurely. Usually these manufacturers will only install PTO units in a van 2 years old or less. There is a company in Florida that sells private labelled slide ins. I think they were called Janitors Closet or something similar. Check if they are close enough to service a machine for you. They seem to have had good deals. Maybe someone in South Florida can chime in.

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Be careful of exaggerated claims of heat. No PTO units are getting 270 degrees. PTO units with blower heat exchangers get 220-240 max heat. Which is plenty. Extreme heat units can be dangerous and will cause your hoses and fittings to fail prematurely. Usually these manufacturers will only install PTO units in a van 2 years old or less. There is a company in Florida that sells private labelled slide ins. I think they were called Janitors Closet or something similar. Check if they are close enough to service a machine for you. They seem to have had good deals. Maybe someone in South Florida can chime in.
Is it all PTO units that require a van of 2 years old or less, or just the extreme heat units you mentioned?

Edit: I was mainly considering PTOs because I've heard they are more reliable. What are your thoughts on slides-ins vs direct drive?

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Is it all PTO units that require a van of 2 years old or less, or just the extreme heat units you mentioned?

Edit: I was mainly considering PTOs because I've heard they are more reliable. What are your thoughts on slides-ins vs direct drive?
All PTO units. It's because it's such a permanent installation, it's difficult and costly to move into another van. If you already have a van or want to use an older van, slide ins are a cheaper way to go. There are many slide ins that will give you great performance, they just don't usually have the same longevity that a new pto will have. I've used many slide ins. I currently have a Prochem Apex slide in unit and it's a great machine. I also have an older Hydramaster 4.2 and it still works great.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Apparently Janitors Closet is permanently closed

• Wow
Reactions: Kenny Hayes

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
All PTO units. It's because it's such a permanent installation, it's difficult and costly to move into another van. If you already have a van or want to use an older van, slide ins are a cheaper way to go. There are many slide ins that will give you great performance, they just don't usually have the same longevity that a new pto will have. I've used many slide ins. I currently have a Prochem Apex slide in unit and it's a great machine. I also have an older Hydramaster 4.2 and it still works great.
Well, that's going to be a deal breaker. I don't have the finances to buy a new TM and a vehicle less than 2 years old. I'll get a new TM, but it looks like I'll have to pivot to slide-in. The prochem apex, what is the temperature on that, please?

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I’m pretty sure you’re gonna be happy with a slide in especially if you’re new. This business is not a build it, they will come business. Don’t spend over your current needs, plus 3 yrs., maybe. That will not kill you should you decide you don’t even like this business. In other words, I hope you have a business plan!

Reactions: Nomad74

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

Hey man, you don't need any more than 240F. If the machine can hold that temp, not just max out, then you'll be just fine. Keep in mind with restaurants you need contracts to do several of the same franchise to do multiple locations in one week to make really good money. I tried doing just independently owned restaurants here, and they were one of two thing:
1. Extremely insultingly cheap
2. Inconsiderate (They refused to move tables and chairs prior to your arrival or they wouldn't inform you they were closing early and when you arrived at 11:30 to clean, nobody was there (I drove an hour to that facility only to find out I couldn't clean)

Know your business model. I strongly suggest marketing to industrial conplexes that have office cubicles and funeral homes, churches, and even college apartment complexes. If all you can afford is a portable, then that can be used in all 4 of those facilities. But a truck mount will help you enjoy your job better.

If you get a Butler, you're sacrificing wasted space in your van. Their layout is terrible compared to hydra master and cleanco.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Well, that's going to be a deal breaker. I don't have the finances to buy a new TM and a vehicle less than 2 years old. I'll get a new TM, but it looks like I'll have to pivot to slide-in. The prochem apex, what is the temperature on that, please?
Averaging about 225-230. More than enough. The current model is the Sapphire 570 Apex. Most slide ins with a 25 HP motor or larger will give you the same heat. You can look at Judson or TCS slide in with propane heaters that have a reputation for reliability. It can be a pain having 2 fuels sometimes or an El Diablo which uses a diesel fired heater with tremendous heat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom