Mother of all Linen sectionals

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
He still needs to clean it the right way to avoid water rings and potentially rusting buttons.
Lots of repetitious detail work.

Jimmy would have cleaned that entire goodfellas contraption in 30 minutes, top.

And please try to refrain from derailing this fine thread, Jim :icon_rolleyes:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Don't believe what's on the tag. I just cleaned a polyester sofa that had a tag saying it was 100 percent leather. This lady had the sofa for 10 years. She was sure surprised to find out it was leather.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
DAMN IT ALL TO HELL RICO!
DON'T MAKE ME DRIVE ALL FREAKING NIGHT TO VISIT YOU WITH A BASEBALL BAT!

Richard lives on like a 5000 acre farm with a driveway so long normal cars/truck cant even get up to the house. If you did get close to the house his stable of wild thoroughbreds would stomp your head. I'm sure his hundreds of servants would stop you somehow.

Sorry Jim, the guy poops dollar bills.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Steve Lawrence said: ↑
John, how do you know this isn't linen?
Because Goomer posted a photo of the info about the fabric.
Steve, if you don't mind, let everyone know how long you've been cleaning upholstery.

I don't know if you can know the figure exactly, but taking the years you've been at it, and the amount of upholstery you've likely cleaned each year, that you've probably have cleaned over 5000 pieces.

Does that sound about right?

Hi Jim, I haven't really done the math but I have cleaned a lot of furniture since 1972, not as long as Lee Stockwell, though. Back then there was little to no training available and it was a pretty lonely deal with no internet either. Kids today don't know how good they have it with all the great training and great tools available. Only good thing about the old days was that there was very little competition. :icon_razz:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Hi Jim, I haven't really done the math but I have cleaned a lot of furniture since 1972, not as long as Lee Stockwell, though. Back then there was little to no training available and it was a pretty lonely deal with no internet either. Kids today don't know how good they have it with all the great training and great tools available. Only good thing about the old days was that there was very little competition. :icon_razz:

Thanks for the bow to Lee Stockwell. The collective years of experienc here is incredible. Besides, I don't feel like the oldest guy here :)

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
BTW, Jim, the first training I ever got was from your Dad in Fresno at Ed York's Steam Services in 1979! My business was a disaster at the time so I took a course from your dad on Disaster Cleanup. :lol:
I took the same course from Lee when he taught it in Phoenix Az around the same time.

We were mostly carpet cleaners but had been asked to some some restoration work. My father sent me to the class. I saw them run a Thermal Fogger and within two weeks we had a school fire and ordered one from Steam Services.

The rest is Rock N Roll history! :winky:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I saw Ed York in KC in one of his classes and he told me to shut up. You see I was one of those idiots who asked stupid questions interrupting the class.

Ed York did a lot for our industry, but he also could create realities that existed only in his mind. He didn't like being challenged because some of his marketing ideas were made up the night before the class and were unproven, to say it mildly.

He surrounded himself with technical experts like Jeff Bishop, Ron Toney, and my father. Working with him was sort of like taking a road trip in a car prone to breakdowns with a Tasmanian Devil that was on a crystal meth high in the middle of a tornado...

...only worse.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I'm noticing that manufacturers are are misleading the customers with improper names. Such as this piece being called linen or Smart Strand calling one of Thier carpet types "Silk"

The fact that the word "Linen" was used in a designated product name by a manufacturer when in reality it is a acrylic fabric is really irking me.

Not only is the consumer misled, but any information about the product that they pass on to anyone else regarding it, like a cleaning professional, is completely incorrect.

A previous cleaner who told this customer he could/would not be able to clean it, likely under the false impression that it was in fact linen.

I was about to quote a linen rate which is now not applicable.

The customer mentioned a competitor was also actively bidding on the job, so I wonder if he is pricing it as linen or not.

Due to this deliberately misleading information by the manufacturer, this customer is under the false impression that her piece must be cleaned very carefully, utilizing a very expensive cleaning process tailored for delicate linen fabric.

Due to this deliberately misleading information by the manufacturer, this customer is having trouble finding what she believes to be an adequate service provider.

Due to this deliberately misleading information by the manufacturer, this customer may have fallen victim to a less than honest cleaner that knowingly sold her on a high linen rate even though he is aware of the truth.

Bringing her up to speed on this issue is probably not a bad thing for me to do.

I'm not going to give her a linen rate, but she is going to get my premium investigative rate.

Big Jim

Name
James Milne
Ed York did a lot for our industry, but he also could create realities that existed only in his mind. He didn't like being challenged because some of his marketing ideas were made up the night before the class and were unproven, to say it mildly.

He surrounded himself with technical experts like Jeff Bishop, Ron Toney, and my father. Working with him was sort of like taking a road trip in a car prone to breakdowns with a Tasmanian Devil that was on a crystal meth high in the middle of a tornado...

...only worse.
Holy cow Jim that's really funny!!!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
That sofa, even if it was made from solution dyed certified organic Herculon, personally Tefloned by your choice of favorite Pemberton - would still be a pain to clean and prone to water rings and other misfortunes.

Hope you're fully recovered from your manufacturer deliberately induced disappointment and that your investigative rates are high.

Or you may still-

6a00d83451574c69e201b7c8adfb84970b-320wi

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
Lee Stockwell
Lee Pemberton held MY hand as well. Via a big set of cassette tape that I listened to until worn out. Dubbed off a replacement set and wore them out.

It was lonely out there without much good help. I'm grateful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom