Mother of all Linen sectionals

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Check out this tufted linen beauty........

IMG_1960.JPG
IMG_1961.JPG
IMG_1962.JPG
IMG_1963.JPG
IMG_1964.JPG

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/products.jsp?categoryId=cat1580034

https://www.restorationhardware.com...p?productId=prod4670041&categoryId=cat9790008

What's your approach?

Mrice

Name
Mat
Is there any yellowing from the widows? Most important to me is to set realistic expectations. I second the button comment. I'd flip a couple of them and see if there is any rust under them already. If it's been cleaned before (or large spills) there's a good chance there is already rust present. Take note before hand. I'd vac for an hour or two. Then probably encap and immediately spritz with peroxide based spray, section by section. Note, it's not just the bottom of the buttons that rust, sometimes they rust right through the fabric on the tops...freeking cheap buttons!

Mrice

Name
Mat
Because the moisture will be trapped?

Metal?

absolutely metal. IMHO, If they rusted it would be a toatal loss as it would take a laymen a very long time to relpace all of those and with that many very costly for a pro to redo.

edit...you better make mad cash on this, I'd probably charge twice what I'd normally charge on a natural fiber sectional that size. At least the cushons don't come off!

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
In regards to the few browned areas an the possible use of a fabric shampoo containing Sodium Metabisulfite, I am concerned about the possibility of the treated areas being bleached whiter than the surrounding areas, which I have heard of happening.

This is the last piece I want to fook up.

Reactions: Lint Basket

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I would make sure they know the difficulty involved in cleaning such a piece. I personally would not clean it on site. I'd take it in plant when I can control the conditions as well as clean the worst areas multiple times if needed.

The old school button tufffed pieces are a pain to deal with. The creased areas can draw up losing the fold. That requires dry pressing with a jiffy steamer.

Its not for the weak of heart but is going to require some patience. Make sure you charge enough to make it worth your time.

I'd also include those pictures in a preexisting conditions waiver I'd have them sign. Its one thing to be responsible for damage you caused but you don't want to blamed for what someone else did.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
In regards to the few browned areas an the possible use of a fabric shampoo containing Sodium Metabisulfite, I am concerned about the possibility of the treated areas being bleached whiter than the surrounding areas, which I have heard of happening.

This is the last piece I want to fook up.
Don't use Haitian Cotton Shampoo, that's some nasty harsh crap. You're asking for a major whipping goofing around witg this piece.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Metal buttons for sure! We did one similar to this when first started. It was a love seat though. Customer called us within 3 hours and said the buttons changed color. It was rust immediately forming. We tried to remove the rust with T-Rust removal and it ate away the fabric on the button. Had to replace. Hard lesson learned. Last one we cleaned like this, I put towels over each button as we cleaned. 0 moisture on them and it cleaned up fine!

Reactions: Lint Basket

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Don't use Haitian Cotton Shampoo, that's some nasty harsh crap. You're asking for a major whipping goofing around witg this piece.

I was thinking that would be a safe approach to just shampoo the foam in with white towels to control the moisture and dry extract as per the directions.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
its not that soiled-- so this is what I would do.

vacuum the entire piece, clean with foam/shampoo only. Oriental rug and fine fabric shampoo. don't wet the item t00 much, only foam with horsehair brush or sponge. rinse extract with last step with SS upholstery tool with very low flow and pressure. don't get the buttons wet, have rust remover on hand in case you do.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I was thinking that would be a safe approach to just shampoo the foam in with white towels to control the moisture and dry extract as per the directions.
You need a neutral/acid shampoo like Prochem's Fine Fabric Shampoo. We would likely use it applied with a sea sponge or horse hair brush. Rinse with acid rinse like Prochem's All Fiber Rinse.

After it dries if you still have water rings I might spray Yellow RX and rinse.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Thank goodness it has a "performance finish" for stain resistance!

Don't invite trouble. Go over browned areas by agitating (dry) with a fine wire grooming brush. There's a good chance the browning is on the surface and can be brushed away. Brush and vac entire piece, Dry solvent clean.

You can clean the piece and collect for your services without having to remove every stain 100%. At $7k just for a sofa you could spend the day on this and get paid for it.

Reactions: Mikey P

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Why do you think it is in Jersey?
Just joking. It looks like a "Goodfellas" piece of upholstery.
Yes, good chance buttons are iron and will rust if moistened. Rather not find out because by then rust remover ain't gonna be much help.

Definitely a challenging piece.
  1. What's the client's expectations?
  2. What do you charge? In other words will you be paid well enough for your time? Potentially more then one possibly two more visits.
  3. Is the client willing to let you experiment on the area where the pieces join, so if damage happens it will be hidden you will not be held liable?

Answer to these will help determine how it will be cleaned. As it can be done in different ways.

Ignore Chavez. Moving this piece will likely substantially increase the chance of damage during transportation. This ain't Kansas, Dorothy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom