Mercedes Sprinter w Sapphire 870

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Mike, looks great.

I have sprinter as well, and I am wanting to put cell under box.

Actually i have thought about my chevy box trucks as well, 28 gallons- fill up every couple days, 12 or 16 gallon for TM would save labor time filling up so often

Is there any concerns with fuel cell on outside of the frame rail?
Being a dually>10#'s, does this have DOT's blessing?

thinking about it, semi's have there's on outside.

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
Mike, looks great.

I have sprinter as well, and I am wanting to put cell under box.

Actually i have thought about my chevy box trucks as well, 28 gallons- fill up every couple days, 12 or 16 gallon for TM would save labor time filling up so often

Is there any concerns with fuel cell on outside of the frame rail?
Being a dually>10#'s, does this have DOT's blessing?

thinking about it, semi's have there's on outside.

I'm not to concerned with where it's mounted. I've seen a lot of commercial vehicles like semi's, delivery truck with there's out side the frame. I originally put in a 15 gallon tank from summit racing but I didn't like it so I had a really good one made. It's made with a thicker gauge aluminum and all seams are welded inside and out. The tank is double baffled as well. Here's his website, all his tanks are US Coast guard approved. He makes tanks for boats. I think that tank was $350???
http://www.mycarrenterprise.com/

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I hung a 30 gallon tank on my outside rail. Not sure it's legal for gas but that's what's in it. Diesel doesn't explode like gas so I'm sure it has different rules. It would be easy to switch the tanks and run the gas from underneath but I hope to never have to do it. Any computer issues with the 870. It's the only thing stopping me from buying one. They mounted it right above the exhaust manifold the hottest place on the machine.

Gene

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
I hung a 30 gallon tank on my outside rail. Not sure it's legal for gas but that's what's in it. Diesel doesn't explode like gas so I'm sure it has different rules. It would be easy to switch the tanks and run the gas from underneath but I hope to never have to do it. Any computer issues with the 870. It's the only thing stopping me from buying one. They mounted it right above the exhaust manifold the hottest place on the machine.

Gene
No computer issues here. The machine acutely runs pretty cool.

Name
BradFenstermaker
That is a Truck any of us would be thrilled to have.
I like the oversize rinse tanks. I have to carry 2 5gal tanks and usually have to mix a 3rd on the road.

Mike is there any priming issues pulling suction from that distance from the flow meter??

Thanks

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Nice Set up n video-- BUT-- I have the same van and I think you might be over the Van's GVWR.. not sure what the regulations are in your area but the fines in CA are large if you not declaring the proper weight on the registration-- thus not paying the govt enough in fees. There may also be safety issues and increased wear n tear issues.

Once I was driving on I-80 and a Gardener's truck was way overloaded. soon his tire caught fire from the heat and strain.. I put the fire out with my Vortex just b4 the firemen arrived.

Reactions: Art Kelley

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Nice Set up n video-- BUT-- I have the same van and I think you might be over the Van's GVWR.. not sure what the regulations are in your area but the fines in CA are large if you not declaring the proper weight on the registration-- thus not paying the govt enough in fees. There may also be safety issues and increased wear n tear issues.

Once I was driving on I-80 and a Gardener's truck was way overloaded. soon his tire caught fire from the heat and strain.. I put the fire out with my Vortex just b4 the firemen arrived.

I talked to Mike today and he is running a 11030 GVW Sprinter which has a 4968 lb cargo capacity. Even the other 1 ton sprinter has a 4000 lb load capacity which should be more than plenty.

Reactions: Mikey P

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Might want to weigh it just to be sure.. I have the 3500 dual wheel 170wb Sprinter. We don't carry all those tools and if we have a full 100 gal fresh water tank n full waste tank then we are over the limit.

Then there is the concern of over heating the transmission and brakes.

CHP makes big money from fines and we can be pulled over at any time for spot inspections-- might even be asked to follow the officer to nearest weight station for weight check.

I was pulled over by CHP once for a spot inspection and thought they were looking for Illegal aliens or terrorist!- the officer was kind enough to give me a fix it ticket and an "Education"

I'm just a safety 1st kinda a guy--- My biggest fear would be to hurt an innocent person due to my negligence.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I agree with John.
I had the 3500 Extended Sprinter with an Apex etc. No fresh water tanks at all. No large concentrate jugs. Plenty of chemicals and a portable though. And I was running very close to Max load capacity.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
I agree with John.
I had the 3500 Extended Sprinter with an Apex etc. No fresh water tanks at all. No large concentrate jugs. Plenty of chemicals and a portable though. And I was running very close to Max load capacity.

The 990 GVW Sprinter with a 4000 lb load capacity is equal to a 12000 GVW Isuzu NPR. A 11030 GVW Sprinter has about a 5000 lb load capacity and the Isuzu NPR-HD is sitting at 4700 lb load capacity. That being said:

Machine with waste tank and full 2690 lb
Fresh water 160x8.5= 1360
Fresh tanks 100lb?
Tools & misc 1000?

Total: 5150. Crazy uhh? Based at manufacture specs and some estimating on my part if he was full of fresh and waste water, carrying a thousand pounds of tools he would be just at or slightly over limit. Let's also keep in mind the water weight is 2300 lbs from nothing to completely full. Most guys don't drive around with both full at the same time for very long if at all.

Last edited:

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
The 990 GVW Sprinter with a 4000 lb load capacity is equal to a 12000 GVW Isuzu NPR. A 11030 GVW Sprinter has about a 5000 lb load capacity and the Isuzu NPR-HD is sitting at 4700 lb load capacity. That being said:

Machine with waste tank and full 2690 lb
Fresh water 160x8.5= 1360
Fresh tanks 100lb?
Tools & misc 1000?

Total: 5150. Crazy uhh? Based at manufacture specs and some estimating on my part if he was full of fresh and waste water, carrying a thousand pounds of tools he would be just at or slightly over limit. Let's also keep in mind the water weight is 2300 lbs from nothing to completely full. Most guys don't drive around with both full at the same time for very long if at all.

I don't Think I'm Fat until I look in the mirror or get on a scale..

Doesn't matter to me-- I'm not paying for anyone's fines... just trying to help-- sorry to be a "David Downer or chicken little"

I think I only paid $10 bucks to have my sprinter weighed. Oh and maybe my TM is heavier. its a Power Clean diesel DXT.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Weight and safety are very valid points. Makes you wonder about 3/4 ton vans.

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
I very rarely drive with the waist tank water and only carry fresh water when needed. So far no problems with anything.

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
That is a Truck any of us would be thrilled to have.
I like the oversize rinse tanks. I have to carry 2 5gal tanks and usually have to mix a 3rd on the road.

Mike is there any priming issues pulling suction from that distance from the flow meter??

Thanks

No priming issues. I use a 2 way valve to switch between mix tanks. It's designed for boat to switch between dual fuel tanks. Here's a link, I can't remember if I got the 1/4 inch or 3/8. It works great with no issues.

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=120838374637&alt=web

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace

Thanks
yes I installed my iPad in the dash of my last van. I pulled it out and put it back to stock when I bought the sprinter.

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
Some questions...

• Are you on the truck with helper?
I work alone and like it that way.
  • If so how often are you dual wanding carpet?
Over the past year I've either ran 2 spinners or 2 wandswands probably a dozen times. I ran it at 1500psi with 2 spinners for 8 staight hours without any problems and plenty of heat. I dual wanded for 10 straight hours and the only problem was that 15 minutes before finishing I ran out of gas. Lesson learned bring a full tank.
Do you still have the other 870? What I love the most about the 870 over any other machine is it can go 2500 psi HEATED and maintain hot water. The 650hp only does 1200 heated.
  • Why no wrap or vinyl on the van?
I don't want anymore work, lol. I life in a gated community and they don't allow lettered vehicles and I'm happy they let me bring it home at all.
  • How are your brakes and suspension holding up?
Good. I don't carry waist water or fresh water regularly. I'm getting ready to change pads. There sitting g in my garage now.
  • Can you bring that beauty to MFE in April?
I would like to swing by and meet every one.

Thanks Mike!

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
Great set up. My only question is how you pay for that when you doing 3 rooms and a hall for $99?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
If you do this correct..then your heaviest part of the day will only be going to your first job....your running off your fresh tanks..and while your cleaning..it is turning around and dumping into waste tank...and if you are setting up your APO all the time..then you are dumping the weight down the drain....saving wear and tear on the van and gas hauling it all around all day....

The GVW of my Chevy W4500 is 14,500...I carry a 150 gallon waste tank...I can max it out and not know it is back there...but I still dump every job...why carry it..............

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
Great set up. My only question is how you pay for that when you doing 3 rooms and a hall for $99?

I have really good loyal customers so I haven't had to advertise in years. 3 rooms can add up quick, I'm on my way to do a 6 room job now for 175 that I can do in a hour and a half. I also do a lot of tile cleaning and commercial work. I find the realtor's and property management companies really like the flat rate pricing. They never have to ask for a quote and they like that.

Reactions: kingjoelking

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom