Looking at a new Cell phone.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I gots a Nokia. The phone has the most logical interface, best camera and best maps in the cell phone biz. It's so perfect it should be called The Fifth Element.

Right now I'm limited only to useful apps though. I hear Microsoft will be opening it up to use Android and Apple apps soon, so I'll be able to choose from a couple hundred more useful apps and 1.5 million garbage and spyware apps. Woohoo!

Lefty724

Name
E
Exactly what I did for a while between the original iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S4 (now my wife's phone).

Definitely pros and cons to both. It might be helpful to go back and forth a couple times. I found the initial switch from one to the other frustrating but worth feeling them both out. Looking forward to hearing what you think.

I wish you could do that with Truckmounts and tools...

Yes. I like and dislike things on both phones. I'm just trying to figure out which works for me?

We shall se....

Reactions: Russ T.

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
Note 3. my next Phone will probably be the Nexus 6 or 7. Honestly I wouldnt have changed from the note 2. If it hadnt been such a battery hog. Love me my Note. So much that I bought the Note Pro 12.2 Tablet for my work Tab.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Note 3. my next Phone will probably be the Nexus 6 or 7. Honestly I wouldnt have changed from the note 2. If it hadnt been such a battery hog. Love me my Note. So much that I bought the Note Pro 12.2 Tablet for my work Tab.
I think it's smart to stay in the same "family", if you use a tablet.

We've gone as far as getting a MacBook Air and Time Capsule (router/2TB backup hard dive) to go with the iPhone 6 and iPad Air. They really work well together.

I'm pretty sure the Galaxy lineup is pretty slick too, when paired together.

Reactions: kingjoelking

Lefty724

Name
E

Weird I had 2 Note 2's and 2-3's. The battery on the 2 would last me 3 days easily!

I could only get a day and half tops on the 3?

I have a couple of buddy's that still swear by the Note 2.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar

Biggest reason for me is getting used to different ways of multitasking and shortcuts & keyboards (Operating System). They are similar on iOS. When I try to get stuff done on my wife's phone (Galaxy), it's foreign to me.

I've just become used to using iOS, not that it's better for everyone.

FredC

Village Idiot
Biggest reason for me is getting used to different ways of multitasking and shortcuts & keyboards (Operating System). They are similar on iOS. When I try to get stuff done on my wife's phone (Galaxy), it's foreign to me.

I've just become used to using iOS, not that it's better for everyone.

I thought you meant same manufacturer.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I think that can help too. Samsung, HTC, Motorola each have slightly different ways of doing things, within Android.

FredC

Village Idiot
Can't say I have ever found that to be an issue and I work almost exclusively from mobile devices. My phones HTC OneX /Nexus 5 and my tablet Galaxy Note 10.1....along with a few other devices used for testing.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I have a Galaxy Note3 phone and 10.1-2014 tablet. There are a few similarities (mostly Samsung-specific apps) where I find a small benefit, only having to learn the nuances once.

Lefty724

Name
E
Ok so a few days in and I'm noticing things right away....

The Galaxy screen is much nicer and brighter than my iPhone 6. Having the punctuation marks and numbers at the top really make texting and typing much more enjoyable. I use swype 95% of the time, so I can't really comment on which I like better as fast as conventional typing?

Iphone 6 build quality is way better than my GS5. I love the fact that the headphone port is on the bottom as well. Everything just plain works the way it's supposed to on iOS.

These are just a few findings, I hope to know more by Friday evening?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
LG products have them on the bottom as well....

doesnt much matter, if you put it in your back pocket like i do.....then run the cord up your shirt so it doesnt get caught on things...

Lefty724

Name
E
I agree but when I have the headphones in while running and/or working, then looking at the phone for some reason, I'd rather have the cord running out the bottom of the phone.

I guess if just got Bluetooth headphones or a cord with a 90 degree jack, that would work as well. I'm just very picky about things lol.

So far, battery life seems to be fairly good on both the iPhone 6 and GS5? I have a little more life at the end of the day with the GS5, but they both need to be charged over night. The GS5 charges a lot quicker as well. Iphone 6 gets me about a full day (maybe a day and a half?) while the GS5 will get me a day and a half (minimum) to 2 days depending on usage.

My iPhone 6+'s battery was amazing compared to these 2.....I could get 2 days minimum out of the 6+.

Last edited:

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
Weird I had 2 Note 2's and 2-3's. The battery on the 2 would last me 3 days easily!

I could only get a day and half tops on the 3?

I have a couple of buddy's that still swear by the Note 2.
if I used the stock battery it lasted 3 -4 hours at most. My Note 3 lasts 8-10. I am a power user. Always streaming music or facebook.

Lefty724

Name
E
if I used the stock battery it lasted 3 -4 hours at most. My Note 3 lasts 8-10. I am a power user. Always streaming music or facebook.

That's another great thing about the Samsung line, removal battery. If you're using that juice, you might want to think about getting a couple of extra battery's and a charger? This way you'd never be short on battery power.

When I had my Note 3's, the I'd get 2 days of power minimum. I consider myself a heavy user, but mostly reading forums and Pandora. No social apps

Last edited:
Reactions: kingjoelking

scrrocks

Name
Cody Williams
Windows phones do not operate on Android processor, but they are really great phones. The one I have is the cheapest Nokia Lumia 521 and it freakin rocks. Never lags or anything, always smooth. If you're used to Android and don't like change then don't go near it!

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
I am continually blown away with Apples seamless integration of devices, here are a few small examples.

1. Receiving & making calls on a Mac, when we are in the office or at home we are probably in front of a computer so it only makes sense to use that as a phone instead of running around looking for the phone when it rings...instead of having 1 phone at home I now have a Mac in the home office & a Macbook as well.

2. Handoff, my wife jumps between her iPhone, iPad & iMac constantly working on kids homework, projects, emails, documents etc...picking up seamlessly where you left off on one device & continuing on another is simply magic.

3. iPhoto, you take 10 pictures of a job site to submit an estimate on your phone, when you get back to your Mac iPhoto already has the pictures downloaded automatically & ready for you to use, you don't have to plug devices to your PC then figure out how to import blah blah blah...its already done!

My advice is to focus on how you want everything to be integrated with other devices & other people & not just a phone.

Reactions: Russ T. and FB7777

FredC

Village Idiot
I am continually blown away with Apples seamless integration of devices, here are a few small examples.

1. Receiving & making calls on a Mac, when we are in the office or at home we are probably in front of a computer so it only makes sense to use that as a phone instead of running around looking for the phone when it rings...instead of having 1 phone at home I now have a Mac in the home office & a Macbook as well.

2. Handoff, my wife jumps between her iPhone, iPad & iMac constantly working on kids homework, projects, emails, documents etc...picking up seamlessly where you left off on one device & continuing on another is simply magic.

3. iPhoto, you take 10 pictures of a job site to submit an estimate on your phone, when you get back to your Mac iPhoto already has the pictures downloaded automatically & ready for you to use, you don't have to plug devices to your PC then figure out how to import blah blah blah...its already done!

My advice is to focus on how you want everything to be integrated with other devices & other people & not just a phone.

Which one of those things can't I do with my droid /windows devices?

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Which one of those things can't I do with my droid /windows devices?
Question you should you ask yourself is, can it be done "out of the box" seamlessly in the background? I never said it couldn't be done but I am confident it requires a lot more steps & getting different apps from 3rd party's to integrate with a PC is a huge hassle, good luck with that.

Enlighten us, how do you answer your android phone calls on your PC seamlessly without extra apps & programs?

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
I don't do it without extra apps.

but what I do is work all day everyday across multiple devices and platforms all of which are synced without hassle

I swear...some of you must live in an "infomercial universe" where everything is hard unless its made by X............................

"out of the box" is great in theory..................

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Why would I answer or even want to answer my phone on my PC?

Silly me, your right, its better to stop & drop what you are doing & go look for your phone instead of using the Mac or iPad thats right in front of you.

It cracks me up watching people in their home or office walking around trying to carry all of their devices around hoping not to drop any of them. Many nights I don't even bring the iPhone inside the house because I really don't need it anymore since I have other devices to use for phone calls.

Last edited:

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
Silly me, your right, its better to stop & drop what you are doing & go look for your phone instead of using the Mac or iPad thats right in front of you.

It cracks me up watching people in their home or office walking around trying to carry all of their devices around hoping not to drop any of them. Many nights I don't even bring the iPhone inside the house because I really don't need it anymore since I have other devices to use for phone calls.

Silly me. I have this thing called a Blue Tooth that I dont even have to know where my phone is to answer it.

Are people aware that your peeping in their windows to watch them have a hard time answering their phone?

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Silly me. I have this thing called a Blue Tooth that I dont even have to know where my phone is to answer it.

Are people aware that your peeping in their windows to watch them have a hard time answering their phone?
I forgot all about bluetooth earpieces & how cool they look & how comfortable they are to wear 16 hours a day

I have no idea what your second sentence means, I assume its meant to be funny.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom