How much carpet protector do you sell and what's your best pitch?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I often tell the custy its like the difference between just washing your car or washing and waxing. It gives you some added protection and can help keep it looking newer longer.

It doesn't seem to help close more deals on it though.

Something else that helped me make carpet cleaning more than a commodity in the clients eyes is by using this comparison. Maintaining your carpet and maintaining your teeth are similar. Vacuuming is to carpet that brushing your teeth is to dentistry. Both need professional cleaning that vacuuming or brushing misses. When children are younger the dentist uses fluoride to help protect their teeth. The same applies to carpet with fluorochemical protectors. Helps to protect the carpet but just like teeth if the child never brushes or the carpet is never vacuumed then it requires advanced techniques to restore the issue(s). Sometimes the problem is too far gone and for health issues replacement is needed.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I just give ‘em the price and say “and that includes a quality fiber protectant.”

If they are cost conscious, they might ask how much it would take off and I gladly do so. It isn’t a thing of pushing some unwanted extra.

Reactions: FredC and J Scott W

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
My question is this.

Does our cleaning process, whatever that may be, remove the existing, original protectant that is applied to the fibers by the manufacturer?

A very knowledgeable carpet inspector once told me that according to tests performed protector applied at the factory stood up to around 6 cleanings before it was removed by cleaning.

BTW- I apply a whopping 2 gallons a year on average. I don't do sales. If they mention it then I apply it. My customers love that when I leave they've only spent what they were expecting to spend. I despise people trying to sell me stuff and I just can't do it.

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
The times I suggesting adding fabric protection are when the customers are getting me to clean the carpet right before they Move In to their house right after it's purchased. I have full access to all the carpet, not just around the furniture, and I feel it helps the carpet hold up more to the sudden, extra traffic that's being put on it due to everyone moving in. Other than that, I only use it when the customer brings it up. So that's something that I could push a little more on upsells. If I ever get out of the Owner/operator mode and have a tech doing what I'm doing...I'll include it in his job description and commission/hourly base pay

Reactions: Jim Williams

Ken692

Name
Kenny
I tell them the manufacturer had it on there. And it's important to reapply it. The dirt comes off your shoes. I've had good luck selling it. I use Maxim

Reactions: J Scott W

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
I just suggest they protect their rug , carpet or furniture and they do it. Every once in a while a custy does not like to put chemicals in their surroundings

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I just give ‘em the price and say “and that includes a quality fiber protectant.”

If they are cost conscious, they might ask how much it would take off and I gladly do so. It isn’t a thing of pushing some unwanted extra.

Now is that the 11.95 room or the 5.95 room Ma'am ?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I sold a ton of it.....
My helper and i had this little spiel going every time. .....
We would wait till Mrs Phift was jus with in ear shot......and my helper would say..."wow....this is cleaning up
Great"...." looks lik its been Scotch-guarded last time".....
Which would make Mrs house wife
Come into the room already sold on the virtues of carpet protection ....

Lik shooting fish in a barrel. ...

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I sold a ton of it.....
My helper and i had this little spiel going every time. .....
We would wait till Mrs Phift was jus with in ear shot......and my helper would say..."wow....this is cleaning up
Great"...." looks lik its been Scotch-guarded last time".....
Which would make Mrs house wife
Come into the room already sold on the virtues of carpet protection ....

Lik shooting fish in a barrel. ...
when I first got into this business, back in the rotary foam days, we always worked 2 man teams. During our initial inspection, one of us would get down and feel the carpet, then sniff his fingers and say, "Ma'am, did you have this scotchgarded last time you had the carpets cleaned?" As if we could really tell. That would open the door to sell some and we were highly trained salesmen. Too bad they didn't teach us how to clean carpets.

Reactions: bob vawter

Willy P

Name
Willy P
when I first got into this business, back in the rotary foam days, we always worked 2 man teams. During our initial inspection, one of us would get down and feel the carpet, then sniff his fingers and say, "Ma'am, did you have this scotchgarded last time you had the carpets cleaned?" As if we could really tell. That would open the door to sell some and we were highly trained salesmen. Too bad they didn't teach us how to clean carpets.

Ahh - the Econ carpet cleaning daze. Just 29.95 for your lr, dr and hall. Aquaguard was extra. Was that Suburbia Ron?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Econ was my starting point. Then I went off on my own. It was a weird place to work.A 100 psi with a 3 stage and a 175 in the back of my old camper van. Ah memories......

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I had an ice box and a 2 burner stove as well as a full table that knocked down to a bed. It was a 69 econoline with a straight six and 3 on the tree. Had a lot of fun in that old girl.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom