Hey Oldtimers....

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Willy P said:
CleanExtreme said:
What's it worth? Whatever someone will pay. It's still readily available and still not used by very many carpet cleaners. Any supplier in our industry willing to make highly publicized that they sell it would likely take a lot of heat. Similar reasoning as to why we don't sell Rustgo anymore (Hydrofluoric Acid).

Shawn what is the deal with hydrofluoric acid, I have never heard anything about health concerns other than for the mild anesthetic that it contains.

Got it on 2 fingers. The hospital took off 2 fingernails and split the flesh open to the bone and injected calcium to neutralize it. There's a reason why tearing off fingernails is a form of torture.

Willy's experience pretty much nailed a typical bad scenario with HF. You do not want to get the stuff on your bare hands. Do to it's anesthetic effect on the outer skin, the HF is able to get to where it does the most damage, the bone. Washing your hands is no guarantee you will get the HF that has managed to seep under the fingernail, where it will do a lot of damage.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment... It is fantastic for rust removal. But like a razor sharp knife, you have to both know how to handle it, and you have to respect its sharp edge.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Another cleaner I know stuck a rag with HF on it in his back pocket. :( The problem is figuring out how far it has gone into the flesh, so they went right to the bone with the incision. I also have nerve damage in my fingertips.
Shawn Forsythe said:
[quote="Willy P":71y3tp8g]
CleanExtreme said:
What's it worth? Whatever someone will pay. It's still readily available and still not used by very many carpet cleaners. Any supplier in our industry willing to make highly publicized that they sell it would likely take a lot of heat. Similar reasoning as to why we don't sell Rustgo anymore (Hydrofluoric Acid).

Shawn what is the deal with hydrofluoric acid, I have never heard anything about health concerns other than for the mild anesthetic that it contains.

Got it on 2 fingers. The hospital took off 2 fingernails and split the flesh open to the bone and injected calcium to neutralize it. There's a reason why tearing off fingernails is a form of torture.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment... It is fantastic for rust removal. But like a razor sharp knife, you have to both know how to handle it, and you have to respect its sharp edge.[/quote:71y3tp8g]

LOL Shawn - until you hit an indicator dye. That was how I found out about them.

Jose Smith

Hydroflouric Acid is still sold and used everyday, especially in the dry cleaning industry. However, although it is very fast and very effective at removing rust, it is usually not needed. Other acids will work a little slower but are also a little safer.

Jose Smith

The Preacher

Steven Hoodlebrink said:
CleanExtreme said:

Hydroflouric acid....get some on your skin once and get back to me.

I never said I used it Danny. I'm glad it got pulled. Knowing that I use to agitate with my fingers, I'd have nothing but a nubb today.

your posting style says otherwise!!!!!!!

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Hydroflouric did not get pulled. It is readily available and used every day. It is very effective and like Shawn said needs to be used responsibly.

1,1,1, gave me a headache too, but I believe its TLV was 350; its replacements are as low as 25. Other substitutes like acetone have a TLV of 500, but its flashpoint is 4 degrees Fahrenheit. It is like trying to decide between having cancer or having your eyebrows blown off your face.

Back
Top Bottom