Administrator
What's this worth?

yes, it is full.

pic.jpg

and what can I do with it?

Greenie

worth it's weight in teflon.
awesome ink remover.
not bad one shot glass at a time if you chase it with a beer.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
"Dry-Side" spotting is done without the use of moisture. It's a technique employed when water or steam, or wet-side spotting agents might disturb the fabric's dye or spread the dye contained in stains like cosmetics.

Picrin, used along with other dry-side agents, is indispensable for working difficult dry-side stains. Applied as the first step, Picrin's solvent power flushes the stained area to remove excess dye and prevent it from spreading. Then, after applying the appropriate dry-side agent and working the stain, Picrin is used to flush the loosened stain from the fabric. This eliminates the possibility of working loosened soils and remaining dye back into the fabric. Once the stain is gone, a final flushing with Picrin will remove the spotting agents to prevent bleeding of fabric dye, ring formation, or transfer of dye to other garments.

When used for touch-up spotting, Picrin's controlled evaporation makes it easy to remove pick-up soil without leaving a ring, saving the time it would take to re-clean the garment.

Here's why Picrin is the ideal choice for dry-side and touch-up spotting...

Flushes Solvent Soluble Components of Stains.
Picrin speeds up the effect of an oily type dry-side spotter because it dissolves the solvent-soluble components found in many dry-side stains. Picrin flushes solvent-soluble dye from stains safely before it can spread, making it easier to completely remove the stain.

Flushes Dry-side Spotting Chemicals.
Ring formation, and even damage to dyes can occur if some spotting agents are left on fabric too long after spotting. Picrin's solvent action can remove them so you won't have to face the work of removing difficult rings.

Ideal for Touch-up Spotting.
Garments can pick up soil like finger marks and grease during the time after drycleaning and before final inspection. But, this doesn't mean you have to undergo the time and expense of cleaning the garment all over again. Picrin is completely volatile and has a controlled rate of evaporation so it evaporates completely and rapidly, facilitating dry-side feathering. This makes Picrin effective for touch-up spotting at spotting boards, presses, and at inspection stations. It saves you time and money by eliminating re-cleans.

Safe, Yet Effective.
No other volatile dry spotter combines Picrin's efficiency with its safety to color and fabric, reflecting the care and quality that goes into your work.

For Versatile 2-1 Formula Combination Wet/Dry Spotter.
Picrin can also be combined with StreeTEX pre-spotter to form 2-1 Formula, which helps to remove mystery stains, imbedded soil and latex paint. Picrin penetrates quickly to dissolve the solvent-soluble portion of the stain, while StreeTEX effectively dissolves the water-soluble soil.

Google is your best friend..................

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Gold!

We used to pay $35.00 a gallon for it in a 4-gallon case.

Evaporates in minutes, no ring, no residue.

Of course when I die, that's the shit that will have killed me!

I used it like it was water for years, until they said it was a carcinogen......a little too late for me! :shock:

rhyde

Name
rhyde
can't use the stuff gives me nasty headaches

i know where theres 5 or 6 gallon in the basement of the old Armenian wash plant.

harryhides

Name
Tony
It is a great solvent and works well but as others have said it is very dangerous stuff to inhale.
I would NEVER use it without an exhaust fan and a face mask.
I believe that this kind of stuff has shortened the lives of many many carpet cleaners.

Mikey P

Administrator
Coit gave us this protector that was 111 based.

We use to dry clean and protect all in one swipe.

those were the cough,...! Days.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Picrin is Trichlorethylene.

This is not to be confused with 1,1,1 Trichlorethane, the former popular degreaser and all around great dry solvent that is now not used in our industry due to it's taxation out of rational existence because of it's blamed effect on ozone depletion.

Tricholoethylene really never gained widespread use (in our industry) due to its always infamous health considerations. For as many years as I am aware, thrichlorethylene has been a very well know carcinogen that makes Butyl Cellosolve look like baby food by comparison.

What's it worth? Whatever someone will pay. It's still readily available and still not used by very many carpet cleaners. Any supplier in our industry willing to make highly publicized that they sell it would likely take a lot of heat. Similar reasoning as to why we don't sell Rustgo anymore (Hydrofluoric Acid).

Personally, I think Trichlorethylene and Hydrofluoric Acid have their place. Whether or not in our industry, the answer is probably no. Where it is still popular is with certain dry cleaner operations that used properly ventilated spotting tables. Quite a few suppliers to this industry stock this product.

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Mikey P said:
Were there not a fabric protector that used this as it's base?

1,1,1 Trichlorethane was the carrier for Scotchgard Fabric Protector until they changed to OMS.

roro

Jose Smith

Streets still makes Picrin and other dry cleaning solvents. They are sold at authorized dealers around the country.

I still use Picrin and Streepene (both Street's products), but I would never use them in a customers home, or without proper PPE and proper handling.

Jose Smith

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Depends on how old it is. New stuff is trichorethylene, old stuff was perchloroethylene. The old stuff was a slightly jelled product.

Trichloethene might give you a headache, trichloethylene has more bite (will do more damage to latex and other glue, faster) and would give you a bigger headache.

Perc was/is the suspected carcinogen and will knock you out with a high enough concentration. That being said, I worked with a couple of very old drycleaners that said they used to practically swim in perc in their younger days. they thought that's why they were still alive.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Mike

Your Coit days have done you enough damage. Trichorethylene is bad stuff.

"Dry clean and protect with solvent based protector"?

Did they really believe that they were doing anything of benefit for their customers?

The Preacher

i had to physically carry a new tech outside on day who was using it! He was getting some latex paint drips off of some CGD and he had his face down close to the carpet while doing it. We didn't let him use it again after that!!!

CleanExtreme

What's it worth? Whatever someone will pay. It's still readily available and still not used by very many carpet cleaners. Any supplier in our industry willing to make highly publicized that they sell it would likely take a lot of heat. Similar reasoning as to why we don't sell Rustgo anymore (Hydrofluoric Acid).

Shawn what is the deal with hydrofluoric acid, I have never heard anything about health concerns other than for the mild anesthetic that it contains.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
CleanExtreme said:

Shawn what is the deal with hydrofluoric acid, I have never heard anything about health concerns other than for the mild anesthetic that it contains.

Hydroflouric acid....get some on your skin once and get back to me.

The Preacher

Steven Hoodlebrink said:
CleanExtreme said:

Hoddy, i think hydroflouric was pulled before you were in middle school, no???

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Picrin is the bomb.

Squirted myself in the eye with it once. felt like my eye was going to dry up and fall out.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
CleanExtreme said:

Got it on 2 fingers. The hospital took off 2 fingernails and split the flesh open to the bone and injected calcium to neutralize it. There's a reason why tearing off fingernails is a form of torture.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Danny Strickland said:
[quote="Steven Hoodlebrink":1jvxxoez]
CleanExtreme said:

Hoddy, i think hydroflouric was pulled before you were in middle school, no???[/quote:1jvxxoez]

I never said I used it Danny. I'm glad it got pulled. Knowing that I use to agitate with my fingers, I'd have nothing but a nubb today.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I never said I used it Danny. I'm glad it got pulled. Knowing that I use to agitate with my fingers, I'd have nothing but a nubb today.
Don't be so hard on yourself, your girlfriend likes your nubb......no matter how small it may be. :p

Back
Top Bottom