Glide Poll

What type do you prefer?

• Hole o o o o oo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slot =======

• Hybrid o==o==o

• Glides? I dont need no stinkin Glides!!!

• Total voters

Steve Smith

Can you also would a "glideless" option?

It would be interesting to see how many people run glideless.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
The most often "complaint" I hear from my customers is: "I can't suck anything up with my glide!" I actually had one guy return his because he didn't like pulling the hose off to suck up stuff.

When I was cleaning full time I had a holed version and found it made me vac and edge more thoroughly than before the glide.

I can't seem to get it through various skulls that vacuuming is a REQUIREMENT on almost every job. It floors me the companies out there that still are not pre vacuuming at all.

Personally I like the ease of use and dry times with the holed glide over the slotted. Haven't spent much time with they hybrid to give an honest answer.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Well, "floored" or not, many companies don't prevacuum, and I for one, am looking for ways to stop having to do this myself. Why? Well, for one thing, because I'm convinced that vacuuming is not that big a deal. It's an internet fed phenomenon that resulted from Lonnie McDonald, and his buddies, looking for ways to make the requirements have some substance. We can't have carpeting cleaning criteria with only two steps, now CAN WE?

I have tested myself, and found that vacuuming half a room will net no more debris in my canister than what I find in my in-line filter by only cleaning the other half of the room - not vacuumed. So please don't insult my intelligence by trying to tell me that HWE won't remove hair, sand and grit.

Plus, in my market (now I'm just freaking sure it's only my market ..._right?) I can't get bulletin board prices. 25 cents a sf is the top end for me, and at 25 cents a foot, I can't make $75.00 per hour if I prevacuum. Not unless I sell a ton of add-on's, anyway.

However, far be it for me to put a dampener on any bulletin board "reality", so carry on.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We like the hybrid glides, tried the hole ones but had to remove the vacuum hose too often to pickup debris.

With the hybrid we still have to vac the edge of the room but usually that's all.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"tried the hole ones but had to remove the vacuum hose too often to pickup debris. "

Same here.
Even with a thorough vac, we're still pulling the cuff off far too often.

Our hole gets the most use mixing powders in the sprayer now a days

slot glide is used 99% of the time.

and if your wetting out the fiber with pre-spray, there's not a dimes worth of difference in "complete" dry times on cut piles between slot and hole

..L.T.A.

Greenie

Despite the above post, holes are still in the lead, interesting.

We're only one source of glides in the world, but I'm looking at units sold by type, it's quite a bit different across the nation and world then it is in the bbs world.

We also get a good idea as to which truck mounts are sold the most, or more accurately which company has the most units in the field. Yes it's prochem if you were curious.

Glynn

In England more Hydramasters are sold than any other TM.

I prefer slot glides, mainly because we have a lot of wool carpes and obviously they shed and hole glides dont pick this up. Although hole glides are great on polyprop etc.

Mikey P

Administrator
I prefer slot glides, mainly because we have a lot of wool carpes and obviously they shed and hole glides dont pick this up

It's not the Hole's fault, it's the wimpy blower..

My V picks up all kinds of crud through those tiny holes..

Greenie

Kevin, could you expand on that. Assuming it's synthetic carpet, what is it specifically you do not like about the corduroy appearance? Do you groom normally or leave the wand marks? Do customers complain about the lines, or is it more of a personal preference?

I find the opinions are as different as the cleaners, and everyone is interesting.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Marty wrote

"I have tested myself, and found that vacuuming half a room will net no more debris in my canister than what I find in my in-line filter by only cleaning the other half of the room - not vacuumed. So please don't insult my intelligence by trying to tell me that HWE won't remove hair, sand and grit"

You are not getting any less debris in you filter because of all the debris left in the carpet from not vacuuming. Anybody that has done the " weigh the carpet, clean the carpet, weigh the carpet thing" has seen what a big difference a good prevac will make.

You also said .25 cents a sq. is all you can get. I was at my local carpet cleaner store on Wed. There were about 6 other cleaners standing around and saying the same thing. "Nobody in this area can get more than .25 cents a sq." I just listened to them for about 10 min talk about how hard it is in this area, how they wish they could get more money. Just then the owner of the store chimed in and said "Adam, Don't your prices start at .36 cents and go way up from there? Aren't you booked out 2 3 weeks all the time?"
It was a pat myself on the back type of moment.

Price is way more in your head then in your custys head. If they feel they are getting a great clean they will pay it. If you are providing the same service as the other cleaners around you, you will get the same money. Prevac and speed dry, set your self apart.

Greenie

Mikey, you will have to expand on your claim, as I know most cleaners across the nation and possibly world wide, don't groom unless they protect.
I know in our own biz, the customers request was to leave the marks, including the days of the rotovac swirls.

And let the drying claims of grooming rest in peace.

Rex Tyus

People in the south are easily fascinated.

Diamond pattern corduroy marks are all the rage.

Rex

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I guess I'm a hack. I leave it up to the customer. Most of them like the wand marks. Unless of course I protect then I always groom. I use a hybrid glide.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
Greenie, I carry two GGCV high flow Ti wands on my truck, one holed and one hybrid. I do mostly residential carpet cleaning and use the holed gg the most. I always pre vacuum but never groom unless I am working in carpet protector.
I have had customers ask about the rake marks after applying protector and I had to re clean a wool area rug that the holed glide left some slight marks on. So I think my customers would at least question the hybrid marks and I personally don't like to leave them in the carpet. The last holed glide I got from you has small slots on each end. It's good for picking up small debris but I don't like the lines it leaves in the carpet.
I use the hybrid on commercial type carpet (no lines). It picks up more crud but is a little harder to push and pull.
After using my gg RX I always pull the swirl marks out of the carpet with a wand, it never occurred to me someone might like them.

Mikey P

Administrator
They pick the back gammon board because it looks neato....

Until they walk on it.

Groomed piles dry quicker and LOOK better too.

Laziness has no excuse.

Greenie

Ain't no proof grooming dries quicker, so stop fibbin'.

I've done the vac half a room, not vac half, I know the truth.

Kevin, we know and accept that each cleaner's aesthetic opinions are just as much of an influence on which glide they choose, as is the customers opinion, it's all good, pick your poison.
Oh, and we offer an original no edge channel hole glide for Ti wands, you just lose some of the edge cleaning ability. We will gladly swap them out upon request.

Mikey P

Administrator
I've done the vac half a room, not vac half, I know the truth.

So you did this for every job for a month to come to that conclusion or just a few? One?

Sure, lots of carpets dont have much, if anything to dry vac up and it can be a waste of time.

But ask die hard pre vacuumers like Dobs and I how many times a carpet LOOKED like it didn't have three pounds of fine dirt hiding in it.

You try and wet clean a carpet that is loaded with enough fine soil to fill tree dirt cups and let me know the outcome.

Dull, streaky, stinky, splotchy yo name it.

And you damn well MOST customers will not even call back to complain. The type who doesn't make sure her carpets are vacuum properly usually doesn't even notice or recognize poor cleaning results. As long as the beer bong spill from last Friday's date goes away shes happy.

Don't forget why carpet was created in the first place......TO HIDE DIRT!

A well used rake and a groomer are a sign of a guy who gets what he's worth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom