Fuel tap and emissions.

Name
I'm Rick James
I took my van through emissions to get ready to renew my tabs for next month and I failed. I got 2 codes, indicating why I failed. First was the O2 sensor, no problem fixed in a minute or so. $50 from Schucks. The second code was for fuel tank pressure.( I believe that was what he said).

So does a fuel tap cause any problems with emissions? I got my fuel tap at Jon Don.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
you failed the pressure test.

out here they just give you a new gas cap

does your fuel tap go thru the tank filler neck like the old ones used to?

..L.T.A.

G

grouNd meAt said:

..L.T.A.
What do you mean "old ones" I just put one in 6months ago :?:

Name
I'm Rick James
grouNd meAt said:

..L.T.A.

Yeah I am pretty sure that is what they did.

Should i get a new cap?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
K. P. said:
What do you mean "old ones" I just put one in 6months ago :?:[/quote]

don't think they use that one for newer vans, Kev
do they?

like '06? and up
maybe one of the distys that installs new slide-ins in new vans can clarify

Brent, you could try a new cap, but if filler neck F-tap will allow pressurized air to escape, a new cap won't help

..L.T.A.

Name
I'm Rick James
So I wouldnt be able to pass emissions. If so, should Jon Don do something about this. Why would they charge me money to do something that doesnt allow me to pass emissions.

G

grouNd meAt said:
[quote="K. P.":c42lipju].
What do you mean "old ones" I just put one in 6months ago :?:[/quote:c42lipju]

don't think they use that one for newer vans, Kev
do they?

like '06? and up
maybe one of the distys that installs new slide-ins in new vans can clarify

Brent, you could try a new cap, but if filler neck F-tap will allow pressurized air to escape, a new cap won't help

..L.T.A.[/quote]
That was more of a question Larry,mine is an o2 chevy,what is the new way?Is it similar but it just has a sticker on it?(expensive sticker)I think I will start refurbishing older vans. :D

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
K. P. said:
That was more of a question Larry,mine is an o2 chevy,what is the new way?Is it similar but it just has a sticker on it?(expensive sticker)

I've never seen one, but as I understand it, the van needs a factory OEM "fuel port" to hook up too.
If you order the van, it's an option I believe.
if I recall from reading some of the posts a few years ago, a TM fuel tap with all kosher patrs runs about $700

..L.T.A.

G

grouNd meAt said:
[quote="K. P.":5hk3p3vk]

That was more of a question Larry,mine is an o2 chevy,what is the new way?Is it similar but it just has a sticker on it?(expensive sticker)

I've never seen one, but as I understand it, the van needs a factory OEM "fuel port" to hook up too.
If you order the van, it's an option I believe.
if I recall from reading some of the posts a few years ago, a TM fuel tap with all kosher patrs runs about $700

..L.T.A.[/quote:5hk3p3vk]
The 1st place I took my van to get smoged,the bozo looked underneath and told me that it was not "OEM", I kindly :lol: told him that the fuel pump or the head light cover might not be "OEM" either and just smog the thing and if it fails,then maybe its a problem,had to go somewhere else, where it passed with flying colors.

ccedan

If you have a newer van, 2003 or so and newer, fuel tank taps are installed in the filler neck. The probable reason is a bad fuel tank cap. In over 15 years of installs and literally hundreds of installs, neither mine or my technicians have ever failed smog because of a tank tap. I would look other places besides this.
Dan Hanchett
Carpet Cleaners Emporium

Becker

Name
Becker
It has been a lot of years since I had been required to go though WA state emissions.

But as I recall, they are not testing the pressure in the tank, rather they remove your gas gap, screw it on to a device and pressure testing the cap.
A new cap or gasket will solve the problem.

I might be wrong, as I said. it has been a number of years since I have had to run the test.

Becker

Name
Becker
On Nov. 17 1997 one more test will be added: a check for leaky gas caps on 1971 and newer cars and most trucks. Gas caps that don't seal well allow harmful gasoline vapors to vent into the air, even when the vehicle is not running. These fumes also contribute to ozone. Gas cap gaskets may seem intact, but can lose their effectiveness over time. Inspectors will remove the gas cap and place it on a testing device. If a vehicle's gas cap fails the test, the inspection will end, there will be no charge, and the motorist will be directed to replace the leaky cap. When the vehicle returns, the full inspection will take place after the gas cap passes a retest.

Name
I'm Rick James
I was getting a new cap today or tommorrow. The did test it but said nothing about the cap. I just hope its not the fuel tap. Really dont want to deal with that.

Name
I'm Rick James
Just got off the phone with Jon Don and its not the tap. Sure wish homeboy at the emissions station would of said something to me.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Becker said:
It has been a lot of years since I had been required to go though WA state emissions.

But as I recall, they are not testing the pressure in the tank, rather they remove your gas gap, screw it on to a device and pressure testing the cap.

I might be wrong, as I said. it has been a number of years since I have had to run the test.

pretty sure Becker nailed it...............

Name
I'm Rick James
Jim Martin said:
Becker said:

pretty sure Becker nailed it...............

Yeah me too. Just wish he told me it was a bad cap.

Becker

Name
Becker
State worker, what do you expect?

"Inspectors will remove the gas cap and place it on a testing device. If a vehicle's gas cap fails the test, the inspection will end, there will be no charge, and the motorist will be directed to replace the leaky cap."

They are testing the cap only.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom