Do you lubricate Kunkle valves?

pHilh

Do you lubricate them??,and if so what do you use??, and how often??

Brian L

Name
Brian L
The way I do it is block the hose line with something so the valve opens and then climb into the van and spray some wd-40 into and around the valve opening. I probably don't do it often enough, once a month.

G

Spray it with oil

Regular or synthetic whenever you think about it.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
NEVER, EVER LUBRICATE A KUNKLE VALVE!

According to Kunkle's publication entitled "Pressure Relief Valves, Installation and Operation Procedures", the Kunkle vac relief valve should be kept dry and clean.

To quote: "Do not paint, lubricate or allow contaminates to enter or cover the interior or any working parts of the valve."

The application of lubricants is not only not necessary, but can cause or contribute cause to valve sticking.

The Bottom line is DO NOT USE WD-40, OR ANY OTHER LUBRICANT!

Greenie

This is not to contradict Shawn, but I feel the need to mention this little detail:

The conventional use of precision vacuum/pressure relief valves is not on a carpet cleaning waste tank.
If you unscrew a kunkle after a year of daily use and inspect it, you will understand the need for lubrication, not to mention .

I've actually had some kunkles "stick" a little fresh out of the box, but a drop or two of Petron SuperLube and they were good to go.

It's like anything on your unit, you should listen to it and test ever so often.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
The only customer I had who ever had a problem with his valve sticking, was a guy who's employee used wd-40 on his valve periodically.

The interior mechanism was "gummed" and the main piston was stuck to the seat, producing highly elevated pop-off levels.

Cleaning the valve of "lubricant goo" returned it to service.

Up to this point, I thought also that lubrication was harmless. It was then I contacted Kunkle. They not only brought me up to speed on the "Do Not Lubricate" mandate, but they provided me with the wittten bulletin I mentioned which states it categorically.

On a side note. Personally I don't think a little lubricant is going to hinder operation. However, the problem of sticking is a bonfide issue wherin defference to the manufacturers reccommendations are going to cause less problems. If servicing a fouled unit, I still might use a little lubricant to counter certain problems. But never to a valve that is in good working order.

I do think that the valve NEEDS to be inspected to make sure there is no foreign matter that might cause problems.

Greenie

I can see now, I'm gonna have to stock up on petron pens to give out with the valves.

Another detail I've observed, and this may or may not be a problem related to the kunkle stickiness.
When these valves are run on diesel trucks with a PTO or diesel truck mounts, they intake quite a bit of the black exhaust, it appears as filtration lines running through the valve.
This could possibly complicate the issue. It's not really noticeable on gas units.

One thing I like about the Bayco valves, they are inherently simpler than the Kunkles, so less chance of an issue.
Also because they are not made of cast iron, no rust inside the valve body.

Something I'm not 100% clear on yet is the WD-40 causing a sticky build up, since it is a water displacement compound, it seems to evaporate pretty quickly, not like an oil. Is it really building up, oe is there a combination issue with it and the sooty exhaust ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom