Dealing with Smartstrand Carpet

Name
Steve Lawrence
Seems you need a good acid rinse to return this fiber to its original softness and luster.

Do you have a good system for cleaning Smartstrand?

I would like to find a good detergent for it--possibly acidic.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
There are a couple of schools of thought on Smartstrand, or PPT.

Its oil loving characteristics make it hold onto surfactants as well oily soils. If you aren't getting it in a grossly soiled state (good luck on that...), non surfactant cleaners like Cleanfree and Procyon products are good choices. The idea is that you won't be leaving another oily residue (surfactant) to cling to the fiber.

(No, an acid rinse won't do much to break that bond)

The other way is to just drop your high pH nuclear bomb prespray of choice on it, and use mechanical preconditioning tools or rotary jet extractors to help break up the oil bonds. Some find that olefin fiber preconditioning products work well here too.

Don't have "nylon cleaning expectations" with this product though.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Mark Saiger, what do you do? How 'bout you Jim P.?
Seriously Nuke it and already know to start telling the clients this carpet might make us look like we have never cleaned carpets in our life!

Code Red with Harvard Chemical GForce booster and even sometimes if last ditch through a scoop or two of Tsumani in it... But again the cheap versions of this are trouble.

Don't accept responsibility for their choice to go cheap on their carpet choice.

We also have some local carpet stores who are great at deterring people from purchasing it and won't stock the cheap cheap stuff

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
PET after clean

upstairs bedroom . Rest of the place looked new. Used to seeing this, unfortunately.

And also on this stuff , often chemical damage looking like pink/purple irridescence, not correctable.

20190731_110607[1].jpg

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
PET after clean

upstairs bedroom . Rest of the place looked new. Used to seeing this, unfortunately.

And also on this stuff , often chemical damage looking like pink/purple irridescence, not correctable.

View attachment 93149
They’re pulling that crap up and discovering nice hardwood from the idiot baby boomer generation.

So I’m turning the average $150-200 3-4bedroom job into a $500-$750 hardwood job

68770E62-1002-4A5F-B67B-24A9204FA140.jpeg D99EF824-1AAE-42DA-A6E5-666ACEE25C47.jpeg

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
It seems some people, even some retailers are confusing P.E.T carpet with pet stain resistant carpet. I recently had a customer who was claiming he had pet proof carpet and that it had a special backing that prevented liquids from passing through. I pulled up a corner and it was just a regular backing. He was sold or assumed it was pet proof.

revitalize

Name
adrian
It seems some people, even some retailers are confusing P.E.T carpet with pet stain resistant carpet. I recently had a customer who was claiming he had pet proof carpet and that it had a special backing that prevented liquids from passing through. I pulled up a corner and it was just a regular backing. He was sold or assumed it was pet proof.
The backing is Shaw's Lifeguard Backing which your customer didn't get.

1566931021193.png

steve_64

Seems you need a good acid rinse to return this fiber to its original softness and luster.

Do you have a good system for cleaning Smartstrand?

I would like to find a good detergent for it--possibly acidic.
I use prochems all fiber rinse and flush the Crap out of it to remove the prespray. Traffic lanes can still be crunchy feeling sometimes though. I tell the custy to vac it once it's dry to soften it back up.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
The dirt dragon fills tackless holes too?
The dirt dragon was left in the truck on this job. The scratches were too deep to use the Tykoat method. I had to do a screening 150 to get deep in those scratches. No cleaning was needed. Just screen, tac, slap on a couple coats of finish

Latest posts

Latest Auctions

Back
Top Bottom