Dave Yankum's sales training 101

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
You guys don't seem to have much of a track record of offering much practical, pragmatic or profitable advice.

But, you sure can be relied on to show up and throw a few rocks.

Keep up the good work at doing what you guys do best!

Bob Foster

split.jpg

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I have offered plenty of advice. I bet I have talked to more people and made more useful suggestions on the phone rather than posting other peoples information and pretending it is your advice. You are a buffoon and a complete fraud. You have no credentials to peddle your advice.

I

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Dave Yoakum said:
You guys don't seem to have much of a track record of offering much practical, pragmatic or profitable advice.

But, you sure can be relied on to show up and throw a few rocks.

Keep up the good work at doing what you guys do best!
XTREME1
Post subject: Re: Dave Yankum's sales training 101

Or do great work at a reasonable price and get all the work you will ever need.
Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011

Greg gave much better advice than to be a pushy jerk who won't get called again and has to continue to market for new customers even after 30 years and only keeping one truck busy.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Dave, I have had guy's come to me that worked for guy's like you, "I'm not pushy I just ask" this and that... Thing is when they're working with me they can't stop trying to sell and it is very uncomfortable to ME I can't imagine how the customer feels(I'll buy it if it makes you go away).. Lots of these guys are mystified of the fact that my biz is doing great despite the fact that I don't even try to push the sale.

The fact is people are use to getting pressured by the up sell carpet cleaners, and when I come in with the bill they are relieved that the bill is the same as I quoted. !gotcha! And that's why I'll keep buying vans and equipment and instilling values in my employee's to make sure my custy's don't feel pressured or ripped off. If you have to make pressure sales maybe you should look at that as the reason why the phone isn't ringing..

I could hire a guy that made on commission $5,000 with a Co. (company paid 10% commission, yes he made the company 50,000), but I hate anyone trying to sell used cars. Not going to fly in my biz..

Able 1 said:
Dave, I have had guy's come to me that worked for guy's like you, "I'm not pushy I just ask" this and that... Thing is when they're working with me they can't stop trying to sell and it is very uncomfortable to ME I can't imagine how the customer feels(I'll buy it if it makes you go away).. Lots of these guys are mystified of the fact that my biz is doing great despite the fact that I don't even try to push the sale.

The fact is people are use to getting pressured by the up sell carpet cleaners, and when I come in with the bill they are relieved that the bill is the same as I quoted. !gotcha! And that's why I'll keep buying vans and equipment and instilling values in my employee's to make sure my custy's don't feel pressured or ripped off. If you have to make pressure sales maybe you should look at that as the reason why the phone isn't ringing..

I could hire a guy that made on commission $5,000 with a Co. (company paid 10% commission, yes he made the company 50,000), but I hate anyone trying to sell used cars. Not going to fly in my biz..

Keith I am exactly the same way.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Able 1 said:
I come in with the bill they are relieved that the bill is the same as I quoted.

That must work real dandy for those those $25 Groupon jobs.

And my phone rings like crazy. Only 2 slots left for next week.

F

FB7777

According to you're "i work when i want" definition of success, there were only 5 slots next week to begin with :roll:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Does anybody else have any constructive sales techniques that they would like to share?

How do you offer your other services to your clients?

How do you offer other rooms and furniture?

Do you have a demo that helps to promote a service?

Improving your bottom line should not be something to be scared or timid about.

Even a paper hat employee can be easily taught to say, " Would you like fries with that?"

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
How do you offer your other services to your clients? I don't. The invoice has all our services on it

How do you offer other rooms and furniture? I don't. the schedule is usually to tight trying to get to everyone

Do you have a demo that helps to promote a service? I don't, we do not have the time we let our reputation speak for itself

You think you better than a person working in a fastfood restaurant. That just show the type of person you are

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I found article om how to break away from salephobia. It seems to be running rampent on this board.

I know there are many here that are beyond help.

But, if you would want to improve your bottom line this might be helpful:

A raging case of sales-phobia
Face it: If you're a business owner, you've got something to sell
By Liz Wendling

Every business owner is a salesperson in disguise. Everyone is selling somebody something. Every day I hear business owners declare they are not salespeople, they are business owners. What I see is a raging case of undiagnosed sales-phobia.

A paradigm shift is in the making and business owners are finally waking up to the fact that they have to sell. The effort put into selling is what makes every other activity possible in business. "No sales" eventually turns into "no money" and without money, no business. A very basic formula and a hard fact. Sales are the only way to keep your business in business.

Sales are the backbone of your business. If you are in business to make a living, you have to be out there selling. I can't think of a single exception to the rule. The old adage states that in life, nobody gets out alive. Well, in selling, no business survives without sales.

Regardless of what industry you are in, the sales process is in play every day, and it is complex. You are selling your solutions but you are also selling your actions, beliefs, point of view, ideas and recommendations. You are selling to users of your products and services, but also to management, your investment panel, committees, task teams and special interest groups - these are all consumers. You sell you first and your products or services next. The success of your business is directly related to how well you sell. Not embracing and owning this hard fact will paralyze your business success.

Like it or not, selling is a game of winners and losers - people who expect to succeed and those who act as if they were destined to fail. Much of selling is a contest where you have to beat out someone else to win the prize. Refusing to believe you have to sell will put you in second place every time, and as the saying goes, in sales there is no prize for second place. Having a fear or distaste for selling will cripple your efforts and take down your business. You don't have to like it; you just have to do it.

I talk to business owners who think that selling is about convincing and pushing others to buy their products or services. This approach can be discouraging and difficult to implement as a business owner, and it is one of the factors that cause business owners to dislike, or even hate, the process of selling. If you think you have to push people to buy, then you are going about it the wrong way.

As a business owner, in order to be competitive, you wear many different hats - the boss, marketing manager, bookkeeper, and supervisor, to name a few. When you start a business, you may not necessarily know all there is to know about marketing, for example, but you talk to people, ask around, study and practice, and eventually you gain proficiency.

If you are not very good at bookkeeping or management, things could get a bit messy, but it will not be fatal to your business. But selling is pivotal. If you are not proficient at selling, you will not have a business. It does not get much simpler than that. So you have a vested interest in learning as much about sales as you can.
Turn your sales phobia and into sales action. Face your sales phobia and solve it. Honestly, it is the only way you are going to be successful generating much needed revenue for your business. Remember, it's not what you sell, it's how you sell.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
use your own mind sometime Yoakum. Who has a sales problem? Some have open appointments (you) and some are too busy to give a cheesy sales pitch

Connor

Name
Connor
Man, you guys sure do hate on Yoakum, makes me wonder why he even bothers. :|

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
The idea is that you can choose to have jobs come back the same as they went out.

Or by offering other things that are of benefit to your clients. You can work less and make more.

For instance: if you increase every job by as little as 33% you can do 1/3rd the jobs for the same return.

Picking up extra bedroom traffic areas, are easy while you are already there. Protector takes just a few minutes.

Think of all the other problems you can solve in one trip. Sofas, steps, pet treatments, specialty spotting etc....

The more problems you solve the happier your clients will be.

Look at all the reviews I have-----> http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... ng+lincoln

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Dave you have to increase jobs by 50% to do 1 third less for the same $.

Ex:
$100 X 6 = $600
$133 X 4 = $532
$150 x 4 = $600

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Ken Snow said:

Ex:
$100 X 6 = $600
$133 X 4 = $532
$150 x 4 = $600

At least YOU know (and have shown), that a little sales can go a long way to dramatically increase the bottom line.

It can also save marketing dollars by maximising every client opportunity, less miles on vans and happier techs & clients.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Dave had to go back and redo all his numbers Ken and when he got done he realized what everyone else already knew...Broke

Connor

Name
Connor
Ken Snow said:

Ex:
$100 X 6 = $600
$133 X 4 = $532
$150 x 4 = $600

I thought he was saying that he was doing only 1/3 total work, not just 1/3 less, which isn't correct either.

For instance: if you increase every job by as little as 33% you can do 1/3rd the jobs for the same return.

Dave is correct in saying that by increasing sales you'll improve your bottom line, but the math is convoluted.

Look at all the reviews I have-----> http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... ng+lincoln

What does that have to do with it? Was that, the Chewbacca defense?

http://youtu.be/TM-G0bkl8MQ

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Ken Snow said:
That is true- and I would rather still do all 6 jobs for 50% more and get $900. :-)

So true Ken,

I just wanted to do a meager 30% as an example.

I'm sure you expect far more.

Turning $99 to 200+ is not that hard with some simple closes.

Just wondering. Do you have a room dedicated to sales training?

(I see them all the time for other industries)

Bob Foster

I think you should just stick to talking to yourself in a mirror. You would get more immediate feedback and positive reinforcement for your marketing and business brilliance.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Connor said:

What does that have to do with it? Was that, the Chewbacca defense?

I was trying to show that selling is nothing to be timid or shy about and that the more clients buy of my services the happier they are.

It's always the clients that don't buy schit that will nit pick the job apart after you leave.

This page draws them in ------> http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... ng+lincoln

(City Search put up the duplicate photo)

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
The biggest complaint I get from customers about other cleaners isn't the job they did cleaning it was they always tried to sell more when they got in the house. They tell me I am the best cleaner they have had but had the others not applied pressure I would not have had the oppurtunity to get the job. That would explain why your business has been going down a slide over the past 10 or so years

F

FB7777

Dave

Here's the deal and what irks and annoys guys here

YOU ARE TRYING TO PITCH SOMETHING HERE FOR FREE YOU SCUMBAG

You are a fraud

You run an ancient truck and a weinie mount that is counter-intuative to what a busy successful carpet cleaning operation would operate with

You never answer what your gross is for your parttime free candy pedo van op.

Here's some sales advice for you from a leading sneaker manufacturer with a twist...

JUST DO IT ..........................and STFU already you ASS clown

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Dave you are clearly circling the bowl, AGAIN!
Take a stand, pay something to somebody

and for the love of GOD, will you just explain your friggin idea

Its a good idea but man you have butchered it, just explain it.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Dave Yoakum said:
[quote="Able 1":z6by7erq] I come in with the bill they are relieved that the bill is the same as I quoted.

That must work real dandy for those those $25 Groupon jobs.[/quote:z6by7erq]

:lol: I have never done nor will ever do Groupon.

I will offer my services to charity to be auctioned off.

Groupon=Upselling or doing the job fast, and feeling taken advantage of form a customer that you will probably never clean for again(depressing).

Charity=Feeling good that you are helping someone, and the custy will most likely call you back and it won't be because of your price. !gotcha!

Chris A

Name
Chris
Again, I see no reason to not offer your customers additional services in the home. My problemis when sales people persist when the custy just doesn't want it or is uncomfortable ( not really hard to detect.) We have to remember we are a predominantly male industry selling to a predominantly female customer, and we need to tread lightly with our customers if we expect to be called again.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
The thing about Dave is he is trying to sell a product and he tries to criticize people when he is claiming he is helping in giving advice.If he hounds his customers the way he hounds carpet cleaners, lord help him

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom