Chevy 2016 Power Steering leak

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
Just wondering if anyone here has had the power steering oil leak from the booster? My mechanic says that is a rare repair, so I was wondering if it may be more common with a pto unit, the Chevy with the CDS 4.8.

F

FB7777

Just had a hydra boost replaced on my 2005 Chevy Butler unit. 2016 sounds a bit premature but hours can be a factor

Reactions: Mike J

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
Had it happen to 2015 chevy last year. I've had more trouble with chevy' s than I ever had with the Ford E350s. 2008 Ford runs great as a backup but it'll fall apart from rust before the engine dies.

Reactions: Mike J

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Just wondering if anyone here has had the power steering oil leak from the booster? My mechanic says that is a rare repair, so I was wondering if it may be more common with a pto unit, the Chevy with the CDS 4.8.
Your mechanic needs to get out more. Hydroboost is a weak point for all vehicles that use it, particularly GM and Ford trucks. Search for Hydroboost problems and you'll see plenty of truck forum discussions about it.

It typically happens near the end of service life for us... maybe 75k and 7-8000 hours.

The leak tells you it's going to fail. When it fails the brake pedal will suddenly go almost all the way to the floor. It will still stop, but the brake travel and lack of assist is scary.

Don't try to rebuild it, and spend the extra cash for a new unit. Rebuilds won't leak, but they'll often growl like a common power steering unit that's going out.

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
Your mechanic needs to get out more. Hydroboost is a weak point for all vehicles that use it, particularly GM and Ford trucks. Search for Hydroboost problems and you'll see plenty of truck forum discussions about it.

It typically happens near the end of service life for us... maybe 75k and 7-8000 hours.

The leak tells you it's going to fail. When it fails the brake pedal will suddenly go almost all the way to the floor. It will still stop, but the brake travel and lack of assist is scary.

Don't try to rebuild it, and spend the extra cash for a new unit. Rebuilds won't leak, but they'll often growl like a common power steering unit that's going out.
I have been noticing a high pitch sound after I shut down. About the same time as oil leak started. Is this also common? Is that the growl you mention? Also Im looking at $1K for the repair which also includes a high pressure hose he wants to swap during repair. The part is not factory but from Napa with a better warranty than factory.

Also, If I put a diaper under it to catch oil not to screw up driveways with oil, and keep resevoir filled with power steering oil, think I can run hard for a hot month straight. Gonna be tough to take out of service in June, Im looking at July until both our schedules can get this repair in.

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
It might just be the reservoir leaking, which would be a quick fix to buy you some time.

I recently had to do the same on my ‘02

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides

Got the booster replaced. Part came from Napa not Chevy. Now brake pedal falls slightly enough to activate brake switch. I had to prop it up with one foot and gas pedal with other foot, lol, got tired of that so now have a bungee cord pulling it up. Didn't notice until my Hydramaster CDS didn't throttle up. So back to the mechanic to get the new booster replaced. Thankfully my Thermalwave is behaving.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom