BUTLER blower grease help

Mr Brightside

Name
Jay Wags
What grease can I use in substitute of the Tuthill grease? Or where can I buy it? I am having a hard time finding a supplier any help would be awesome.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The following was shared with us in a discussion from 2007 by the late, and very much missed, Shawn Forsythe.

I think this answers it best:

Aeon PD is the best choice for Sutorbilt (Gardner Denver), but actually using the Aeon PD on other blower makes, may invalidate your warranty.

This is because the manufacturers specify slightly different straight viscosity grades if you choose a synthetic. For me, it makes no strong logical engineering sense, but I suppose it works to sell the oils provided by the different manufacturers.

Tuthill markets a product called Pneulube Synthetic oil, which they claim is compatible (ISO 100 viscosity) in their blowers, and it is said that Aeon PD, being a slightly lower viscosity is verboten. The Pneulube is also viscosity compatible with Roots.

While it probably doesn't matter a tinkers damn that the two lubricants vary by 10 ISO points, it still is a good idea to maintain the units according to manufacturer specifications while still under warranty.

Some may point out the illegality of a manufacturer specifying or prohibiting a particular oil brand in their units, bit this is not the case here. The manufacturers specify a viscosity grade, and GD Aeon PD and Tuthill Pneulube are indeed different viscosity grades.

If you choose a conventional oil, ambient temperature is taken into consideration. Since the ambient temp is usually above 32 degress F, then an ISO 220 to ISO 320 viscosity (SAE 50 or SAE 90 Gear Oil) should be used.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
are we talking gear lube or bearing grease?

don't over think it.
Buy any quality major brand gear lube and hi-temp bearing grease.
What's important is to make sure fluid levels are correct and changed regular on schedule
..and you keep grease in the bearings

Note, I NOT a tribologist.
But I did use kitty litter to clean up an oil spill in my garage

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom